Pressure Washers

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Moscow_wolf
Bronze
Bronze

Pressure Washers

Post by Moscow_wolf » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:36 am

Living Off Road and with the amount of rain we've had this summer, my Niva is permanently carrying a few kilos of MUD underneath.

I'm guessing that I could really use a Pressure Washer, but don't know anything about them except they seem expensive to me. Kärcher is about the only company I am familiar with, but which model or type is suitable for removing mud from the underside of a Niva that gets caked in it.

I don't trust the car wash folk to really get into the mud traps as they're more interested in making the body work shine for a tip and there are no self service options that I am aware of.

I have my own borehole water supply so water is not a problem. I also don't have the option of nipping down to Halfords or Tesco to buy their version although, if they have a great option/deal, I could get someone to bring it out for me.

So what makes and models should I be looking at and how much should I be looking to spend?

Might be, I should repeat this question of a 4x4 forum such as difflock.
2008 Blue Niva 21214 & 2006 White Niva 21214. 2003 BMW F650 GS DAKAR. ABI Prestige 5 Berth Touring Caravan. Bradley twin axle trailer. 4 dogs and 2 cats. 1 unfinished new build garage/workshop with accommodation over the top, too much work.

mooshaker
Silver
Silver

Post by mooshaker » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:19 am

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:26 am

I'd go for a petrol one as well especially if you're lifting from a spring/well.

Make sure you have a filter on your lift pipe.

Moscow_wolf
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Moscow_wolf » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks for the input guys, but I didn't explain myself very clearly. I have my OWN water supply from a borehole, but everything is plumbed in like you have at home. In addition, I have a couple of standpipes dotted around the territory for watering the garden that I can connect a hose to when necessary.

Therefore, I just need something that works off the 220V electricity supply and connects via a hose to my standpipe. I have a generator too if necessary.

Cheers.
2008 Blue Niva 21214 & 2006 White Niva 21214. 2003 BMW F650 GS DAKAR. ABI Prestige 5 Berth Touring Caravan. Bradley twin axle trailer. 4 dogs and 2 cats. 1 unfinished new build garage/workshop with accommodation over the top, too much work.

mooshaker
Silver
Silver

Post by mooshaker » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:32 am

i got some cheap 2nd hand thing off fleabay for £10 does the job and its not that high pressure i have to worry about doing the wheels and not getting the tyres at the same time ..or denting the panels on the new rubish cars they make now lol all the electrical ones seem to fall apart anyhow so cheap is good :-) i have a briggs and straton petrol one that would take the paint off :-( it got used for spares for a not starting cement mixer and never got put back together ..one day maybe lol

Hoodoo
No rank

Post by Hoodoo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:36 pm

I'd agree with the 'no plastic bits' side of things. My Karcher has plastic valves inside, which occasionally break, and getting replacements is not that easy. Fortunately the local commercial supplier got a supply of them for me, so I'll be ok for a few years!
Regards,
Hoodoo
'03 Niva 1.7si
Buckley, North Wales.

integraR
Bronze
Bronze

Post by integraR » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:44 pm

I have just killed my first Karcher light use model after over 5 years of bretty rough service doing everything from washing the car to running if for hours on end washing stuff non stop! There great machines! Again the plastic parts are pretty easy to break and replacing parts can be a pain, mine had a plastic inlet elbow that would break real easy.
It was a low-mid range model B402 with around 120bar constant pressure and 130 max, I wouldnt go lower than 120 constant or you wont really get the muck out.

I also had a 13hp karcher/honda with 210 bar and it was mental :evil: would not even use it near a car but it took paving slabs back to new.

iwanna
Bronze
Bronze

Post by iwanna » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Kranzle, its what I have.

Broken so many karchers, due to them having plastic pumps.

Kranzle is brass pump.
1.7i, White. Sadly for sale.

Luv-my-niva
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Luv-my-niva » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:00 am

Simple sollution, drive your niva to Sweden and go to one of the auto car washes. They all have under belly high pressure chassis wash!! Then take a nice coffee with bulle!! (Cinanmon roll)... simple!! Also on the way perhaps you can take part in the Finish sauna competition.... are they mad or what?????? :shock:
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World- ... treme_Heat
Skoda octavia scout 4x4
defender td5 modified for offrosd etc
LADA NIVA - Darn soon I hope!!!