Today I mostly .....

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Can't fault the logic there Neil!

Today I mostly...

Cleaned the windowsills here which had gone a bit mouldy over the soaking wet last few weeks. Now we've got a dehumidifier running condensation isn't really an issue. Now looks cleaner, though that stuff was quite possibly the most caustic substance I've ever had to work with.

This evening I mostly provided yet more information to Natwest who still haven't got as far as telling us whether we have a mortgage yet...Graaaah...This waiting is intolerable...
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

eveshamsteve

Post by eveshamsteve » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:25 pm

Had my selection of oldies played on Steve Wright in the Afternoon on Radio 2. :D

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:07 pm

Moment of fame!

What were they?

Often have R2 on if I'm working on a project or something in the afternoon, didn't today though - not least because the power kept going off!
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

eveshamsteve

Post by eveshamsteve » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:15 pm

Zelandeth wrote:
Often have R2 on if I'm working on a project or something in the afternoon, didn't today though
Well, got to admit, I missed it today too :oops: I was told about it and listened to it later on their website. Still available for the next seven days! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wr4r

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:59 pm

Was involved in a rear end shunt in the middle of a perfectly straight bit of road.

Pedestrian in all black clothing wanders out into the carriageway in front of me - I brake and stop about three feet short of them as they amble across the road. Just as I take my foot off the brake to start moving again, I hear and feel a loud thud through the car. Apparently the brakes on my G plate Saab were more effective than the anchors on the 53 plate Beetle behind me. Despite that they're the ones who had ABS, emergency brake assist, stability control and goodness knows what else.

Thankfully no visible damage above or below my car, but I took a note of all the driver's details just in case for when I have the opportunity to examine the car in daylight when it's not tipping it down. Bumper mounts are all perfectly sound (including the crusty on in the middle that I keep meaning to weld a plate over), and it wasn't a particularly hard impact. So if anything's bent, imagine it's likely to be limited to the bumper bar itself which is at least easily replaced. Don't want to think what the Beetle probably looks like under the plastic cladding.

Thankfully the lady who was driving the Beetle didn't make any claims that it was anything other than her fault (I have that in writing), and handed details over without any fuss - if she hadn't, I would have got the police involved - which I imagine they would have done in short order anyway given that we were making quite an inconvenient road block in the middle of a main road - where there'd apparently been a three car pile up about half an hour before.

I've been down here for just over two months now - and have been hit four times (the first three being cyclists - two of which went into the back of my car when I was stationary at traffic lights with the handbrake on, the third managed to hit my driver's side wing mirror when he tried to squeeze between me and a parked car, while cycling the wrong way down a one-way street). I am seriously starting to lose patience with driving down here! Between lack of following distance, general impatience and the seemingly endless numbers of suicidal cyclists (I mean no disrespect to the sensible ones - I have a bike too!), it's getting downright terrifying to go out there.

Been driving 11 years all over Scotland...It really is a totally different ball game down here.

Seriously, seriously again considering installation of on board cameras in my cars. Had this been in the Skoda rather than the Saab I would most likely have been looking at significant damage, in a car for which parts are infinitely harder to find.

Most importantly though, me and my partner are perfectly OK, the car seems to be fine as well which is a bonus.

Tomorrow we're going out shopping - we'll be taking our housemate's company car methinks, and I'll be snoozing on the back seat!

eveshamsteve

Post by eveshamsteve » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:02 pm

Glad you got off lightly. Could have been worse. It's a nightmare having to make insurance claims.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:15 pm

I know, been there and done that before!

Idiot in a gas tanker decided not to give way at a give way junction - resulting in me plouging into the nearside front corner of his cab at about 55mph. Did three complete 360s before coming to a halt in the middle of the road. End result was my previously near enough mint Skoda 130GL being a complete write off.

Can only imagine this being infinitely more awkward as I would definitely be pursuing getting the car repaired (given that I'm not the one at fault, as I understand it is my right to insist on that unless it's not actually possible for the car to be repaired safely - as would have been the result with my 130GL). Could see that turning into a very long drawn out battle. Plus of course yet again something you have to declare to your insurers, which I know from experience bumps your premium up by a significant margin. Mine went up about 20% after the tanker incident, even though my insurers were never involved other than in that the incident was declared to them as having happened.

Despite the fact that there was absolutely no question over fault etc, it took months to get it resolved. This was in 2005 I think, and I am STILL getting chased by those blood sucking injury compensation lawyers trying to get me to pursue the matter!

eveshamsteve

Post by eveshamsteve » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:27 pm

Zelandeth wrote: . . . and I am STILL getting chased by those blood sucking injury compensation lawyers trying to get me to pursue the matter!
The sad thing is, you could get £3k for slight whiplash and virtually nothing to replace your vehicle. Friends of mine were recently offered £1,000 for their 2002 Volvo XC70 despite the cost of replacing it for the same model, same year, same mileage at least £3,500! They went on to receive £3,950 for whiplash! Goodness knows how much the "lawyers" received. It seems everyone is ripping off everyone else!

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:29 pm

Indeed!

I did manage to get £750 for the Skoda - which to be honest back then was pretty good (you could still pick them up for a couple of hundred quid then - nowadays would be a different story). The assessor who looked at it did recognise the rarity of the car and the "exceptional" condition to quote their report at least, or it would probably have been a £50 job.

I do wonder if I would possibly be safer just getting the Saab checked out by a garage just to be on the safe side. Just don't want something coming back to bite me in the rear months down the line.

eveshamsteve

Post by eveshamsteve » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:36 pm

Do you know roughly the speed she was going on impact? Was it a slight knock or fairly harsh? You could think you are ok but wake up a couple of days later with neck pain?

She was lucky to "run-in" to someone as honest as you. Most people these days would climb out of their car claiming to have whiplash.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:43 pm

Nah, wasn't too big a thump. I'd say about the same as the thud I felt when I reversed the 107 into the back of a colleague's Mitsi L200 a couple of years back (and I escaped that with a scraped bumper - and boy did I feel an idiot - and reminded myself why I tried to avoid reversing that thing if at all possible).

I had just started to move again and my foot wasn't on the brake. It was a "thud" rather than an almighty bang.

Think if it had been hard enough to do major damage the front of the Beetle would probably have come off far worse. Her radiator and A/C condenser both still seemed to be intact at least, and it hadn't triggered airbags or the injection system's fuel cut off.

I'll have a poke around tomorrow anyway - not going out there right now! Plus there's only so much damage checking you can do in a howling gale and pouring rain in the middle of the road!

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not about to claim for anything if I have a bit of a sore neck for a few days - I've seen what actual whiplash is and can do - and it's a totally different matter! Someone at work got rear ended by a bus a while back, and they were off work for over three months, and in a neck brace for nearly six months - the official declaration by the doctors was that it was simply whiplash. As it is though, I'm not working at the moment, so wouldn't be losing earnings, so meh, probably wouldn't bother even then. So long as no long-term harm's done to me or my other half, and my car's okay (which to be honest I'm more worried about than me!), I'm happy.

Think she's had enough of a scare herself from the incident to maybe learn. Plus I gave a bit of advice on sensible following distances, which we'll probably never know whether sunk in...

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:14 pm

[] Rebuilt my PC cooling system to undo some of the bodgery from when I built it a while ago.
[] Changed a sidelight bulb on the Saab.
[] Reconfigured my room a bit to better balance from the stereo.
[] Spent the entire evening drooling over classifieds, may have had a silly, silly, silly idea for the future of my motoring, even if not maybe in the immediate future.

happiness stan
Bronze
Bronze

Post by happiness stan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:09 pm

"the first three being cyclists" You want to come to Cambridge then, they are nine times out of ten a bunch of gits

Hoodoo
No rank

Post by Hoodoo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:16 pm

If the Corsa system works, and you're happy with it, I'll have one.
Regards,
Hoodoo
'03 Niva 1.7si
Buckley, North Wales.

Hoodoo
No rank

Post by Hoodoo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:21 pm

I particularly like the fact that the driver chooses the degree of assistance!
Regards,
Hoodoo
'03 Niva 1.7si
Buckley, North Wales.