Anybody done Wireless home networking

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Jonno
Diamond with extra bling
Diamond with extra bling

Anybody done Wireless home networking

Post by Jonno » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:59 pm

I have been fighting a losing battle on installing a wireless home network. My intentions are to get hold of a laptop before too long so that when I am laid up in bed following spinal surgery I can still get on to the internet.
Now, main computer (running xp) has the wireless router attached via an ethernet cable. This part is running ok.
Second computer is upstairs (running 2000pro) with a wireless usb adapter attached. All the software is installed and I have put in the WEP number, this has enabled the wireless adapter and it has good signal strength too. But, the router is not , or doesn't seem to be , accepting it.
I am not wasting much more time on it tonight as I have an early start tomorrow morning - but any thoughts / ideas would be appreciated.
If it doesn't work - hit it with a hammer. If that doesn't work get a bigger hammer.
'95 Hussar
ImageImage

nitro4wd
Bronze
Bronze

Post by nitro4wd » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:02 pm

Are the router and wireless pen the same brand. There's been some compatability issues with cross-brand usage. Also I was told that Belkin gear wont work with certain brands of computer (!), and the same goes for NetGear. Now, this is only coming from colleagues in Currys (retailers generally know sweet F A), so could be crap...
Risca, South Wales.<br>
'93 Niva Cossack<br>
'07 Ford Ka<br>
Unknown year 5.3V12 XJS I haven't paid for yet...<br>

Jonno
Diamond with extra bling
Diamond with extra bling

Post by Jonno » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:08 pm

The router is Thomson and the pen is iConcepts.

It may cause some issues I will have to look further into that. I suppose it would be better if I had two operating systems the same too!
If it doesn't work - hit it with a hammer. If that doesn't work get a bigger hammer.
'95 Hussar
ImageImage

nitro4wd
Bronze
Bronze

Post by nitro4wd » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:13 pm

You shouldn't have a problem getting XP and 2K to network. I'd Google hardware comaptability issues with those brands though. I dare say someone like Gadget will be along soon, being the font of knowledge that he is with these things!

Although it's focused on internet connections, the guys on this site; http://www.testmy.net are extremely knowledgable with these things, and happily communicate in layman's terms if it starts getting uber technical (helped me a lot when i had problems).
Risca, South Wales.<br>
'93 Niva Cossack<br>
'07 Ford Ka<br>
Unknown year 5.3V12 XJS I haven't paid for yet...<br>

Jonno
Diamond with extra bling
Diamond with extra bling

Post by Jonno » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:15 pm

Thanks for that I will give them a try.
'95 Hussar
ImageImage

Jonno
Diamond with extra bling
Diamond with extra bling

Post by Jonno » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:48 am

Thanks for the lifeline David, I replied on your e-mail link below.
'95 Hussar
ImageImage

snurf
Standard
Standard

Post by snurf » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:28 pm

dont know if you got this working, have you connected the internet connection strait to the router? Or have you got the internet runninging into the pc then the router connected to your pc as well?

Jonno
Diamond with extra bling
Diamond with extra bling

Post by Jonno » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:02 pm

I reckon things are ok now,

Wireless router is connected to the DSL Filter to the telephone socket and to the main computer via an ethernet cable. So in effect that bit is hard wired.
Laptop is connected to the router via a wireless card, that was an absolute cinch to set up - only the WEP code to input for 128 bit encryption.
The problem was with the other PC, it is running 2kpro, after a delete and reinstallof the software that came with the iConcepts dongle it booted up ok and is running fine now (seems to be anyway)
Missus says its no fun now that we almost have a computer each - she did enjoy the challenge of throwing off whoever was on the computer to view her e-bay account :lol:
'95 Hussar
ImageImage

Jonno
Diamond with extra bling
Diamond with extra bling

Post by Jonno » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:08 pm

Quick test - are you there Gav?

Now if I had sent this to Gadget and he had replied so quick you all would have thought your suspicions were right - wouldn't you.
'95 Hussar
ImageImage

LINCSLADA
Silver
Silver

Post by LINCSLADA » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:09 pm

Indeed i am :lol:

Cheers Gav

Jonno
Diamond with extra bling
Diamond with extra bling

Post by Jonno » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:25 pm

But by replying at a judged time distance it creates the illusion of two separate entities :lol: :D :lol: :o
'95 Hussar
ImageImage