John Pugh (Hoodoo)

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
pug
Standard
Standard

Re: John Pugh (Hoodoo)

Post by pug » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:11 am

Legacy sootie. Was x - trained as a rigger but that side of stuff was boring and too easy :lol:

Give me a stinking oily donk any day ;)

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Here's what I managed to get done today.

I still need to sort out the wheels - which is actually proving more of a headache than expected due to the lack of a clear edge to follow - I have a plan of attack to fix that though which if all goes well tomorrow I should be able to do easily enough - especially if I can find the tablet, as "drawing" things like curves is a lot easier with that than the mouse which is all I've had to work with so far!

So...yes, I KNOW the wheels are wonky, and am working on that.

I can easily add the backgrounds in the windows back in if required as that's just been drawn as a white area on a layer over the original image.

(can't get Photobucket to behave right now, so this is on my own server - I'll shift the link when at my laptop which seems to play more nicely with the interface)

Will have a play around with colour options later as well if folks think the basic image is okay, as I have a few ideas for what would be most engraving-friendly.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Ged
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Ged » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:54 pm

that is brilliant.

well done.

Ged
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Ged » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:05 pm

[img]
laning nov 2011 013_edit.jpg
laning nov 2011 013_edit.jpg (201.97 KiB) Viewed 21488 times
[/img]

Ged
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Ged » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:12 pm

as soon as i can get some options i can approach some engravers for a quote.

ideally, photo quality laser would be ace, but at what price?

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:13 pm

That's one way to do it, my ideas basically boil down to thinning out the colour palette, then trying a few line drawing filters (think I have three or four installed), to see what looks like it would work best. Hoping that will also get shot of the lens flare as well, as we don't want to waste detail on that.

Tricky bit is always finding the right detail/simplicity balance. Too complex will just look a mess when actually engraved.

Watch this space, update will follow tomorrow.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Ged
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Ged » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:35 pm

ace.

i just managed that in corel 6

then got lost :oops:

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:50 pm

Gah...Let's re-type that after my browser randomly decided to crash on me.

Here's what I've managed this evening.

Firstly trying to get the wheels to look something resembling round, and removal of the foliage which was getting in the way in the foreground.

Depending on how the engravers you're using work, it may well be that they're happy for you to just provide the photo itself and that they have the necessary software to translate it as best as possible to the plate. Trying to make something that looks *like* an engraving is probably counterproductive though as you're basically then asking them to make an engraving of an engraving.

What *may* be helpful though is to provide an image which has effectively had the bold option selected, which is what the following has effectively had done. It's had a filter applied which effectively runs an edge detection algorithm and makes them much bolder. That might help at the engraving stage to make the image stand out better. I'm no expert on engraving though, so not sure whether it would help or not!

Hope that's somewhat helpful!

Have a chat with some engravers, and see what sort of thing they're looking for. Sure we can work it out once we know what our goal is.

Ged
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Ged » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:58 pm

there is an arrangement for a small number of 4x4`s (or anything) to follow the hearse from the funeral directors to the crematorium.

for anyone wishing to take part the address is,

Roberts Bros Funeral Directors,
4 High Street,
Pentre Broughton,
Wrexham,
LL11 6AG

you need to be there by 2:20pm and have your vehicles pointing down the hill.

Please let simon know numbers

edit

The wake will be at:

The Park Sports Association (bradley cricket club)
Delamere Ave
Gwersyllt
Wrexham
LL114NG

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:45 am

Sadly as my other half is away on a training course this week I'm left on dog watching duty, so being gone most of the day (2.5 hours each way) isn't something I can manage sadly. Would have liked to as a sign of respect for what he did for our little community here though.

Hope everything goes as well as can be hoped.

Was quite a proud moment for me this year, albeit sad, leading the procession for my mother's funeral in my old Saab. She always loved that car, and while I couldn't make the last journey be in it, that was my effort.

Reckon this is a nice nod in the same way.

If I can arrange things I will really try to make it as well. Hopefully a scruffy Xantia with clearcoat peeling off everywhere that sounds like a tractor won't drag the tone down too much...

Ged
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Ged » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:05 am

i think john would be touched that so many thought so highly of him.

i have been given the honour of driving James behind john.

in a daewoo :shock:

nitro_warrior
Gold
Gold

Post by nitro_warrior » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Only just caught up with this, really sad news. I'm not on the forum as much as I used to be since I sold my Niva, but I still have my Hoodoo lift kit ready for a new Niva one day. John's advice and contribution was always a pleasure (and relief when I was more often than not stuck with a problem!) to receive. My thoughts will be with you tomorrow.
2 x Fiat Panda 4x4 999cc
VW Type 3 Fast back
Chrysler Voyager

Edinburgh

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:10 pm

Ged wrote:i think john would be touched that so many thought so highly of him.

i have been given the honour of driving James behind john.

in a daewoo :shock:
Will James have the hat?
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Holly: This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!

Ged
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Ged » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:45 pm

and the pipe, and the hi viz.

Neil Chowney
Administrator

Post by Neil Chowney » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:58 pm

Simon, Ged,

I can't attend either although I was looking to see if I could get there.

Could you please pass my condolences on to the family as, like Daivd, I will be there in spirit and taking a quiet moment at work at 14:30 to remember John.
Neil Chowney
Land Rover Discovery Sport (just sold the Freelander)
Cube Agree HTC Di2