New car tax rules...

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

New car tax rules...

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Okay, hoping someone here can give me a straight answer on how this will work...as I've asked three people so far and had three answers.

Tomorrow I am heading up to Derby to have a look at and hopefully buy a motor. Trade in to clear that's just had its price slashed to £295 with a new MOT. Reckon the 198K on the clock will have scared most folks off and made it hard to shift.

Now, my usual approach to this has been to take number for insurance with me, phone them up if all is well and get my insurance switched over, then drive home. Of course the new tax rules make this more complicated.

As far as I can see, there is no way that I'll be able to do this in one trip. I won't be able to tax it there and then because the MID won't have caught up yet...and I'm not about to put insurance on a car I've not even seen yet...

Woild really like to figure out some solution that doesn't involve 200 odd miles of driving around in circles...plus I only have another car available tomorrow so if I do have to go back it will mean a £40 three hour trip on the train (it's 66 miles by road!) Which is less than ideal.

Is it just my flawed understanding of the rules, or has this change really made it this difficult to actually walk into a dealership and buy a car now?!? Or is there something a trader has access to to get the tax done there and then?
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Neil Chowney
Administrator

Re: New car tax rules...

Post by Neil Chowney » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:27 pm

I think that its actually quite simple.

Buy the car, and then phone 0300 123 4321 to tax it over the phone with DVLA. As you no longer need to actually display anything you're good to go immediately.

The two issues will be when the DVLA check for documents, is it MOT'ed? and do you have valid insurance?

First one easy, assuming its not been MOT'ed in the last 15 minutes but the insurance that you have just phoned through to transfer to the new vehicle may, I suppose, take a bit longer to go through the system and be visible to the DVLA computer.

Scource http://www.rac.co.uk/community/blog/rac ... ed-to-know
Neil Chowney
Land Rover Discovery Sport (just sold the Freelander)
Cube Agree HTC Di2

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:50 pm

It's got 12 months test on it as of the start of last week so that should be fine.

The insurance is the issue that I'm seeing as a potential problem as last time I did this (through the website) it took five days for the insurance database to catch up and actually show the car as insured.

I will arrange for the insurance to be switched over from my Saab (which is currently off the road, and likely to be until the spring - the main reason I really need another set of wheels!) but of course I'm not about to do that until I know that I'm buying it, especially with the £30 admin fee for any policy changes...
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

nitro_warrior
Gold
Gold

Post by nitro_warrior » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:48 am

I've been wondering about this, so keep us posted with what you find out. I guess you could just phone the DVLA and ask them how it works?
2 x Fiat Panda 4x4 999cc
VW Type 3 Fast back
Chrysler Voyager

Edinburgh

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:07 pm

The approach I eventually took was to take out a day of temporary insurance, so as to be both legal and ensure the car showed up on the MID by the time I got there. Means I was £30 out of pocket - but cheaper than the train fare for getting there and a waste of a day if I had to go back.

As such I was able to walk a couple of hundred yards down the road to the post office and get the tax there. No way I could phone up as there was no mobile reception there!

Went smoothly, just a lot more of a pain than it used to be!

sch4463
Bronze
Bronze

Post by sch4463 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:21 pm

I changed car a few months back and post office said they don't need to see insurance documents anymore. Was just before stopped issuing discs. !??

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:50 am

They don't need to see the physical certificate because it's checked electronically just as the MOT is. Problem is that it doesn't update instantly, which means if you have just insured a car and go to tax it that it may be flagged as uninsured. In which case you wouldn't be able to tax it...right pain if you ask me, and I'm still not sure what the correct way around it is.

I found a way that worked, even if it did leave me £30 out of pocket. Not sure it was necessarily the right way to do things though!

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:12 pm

Think this is very true, GB. The ability to get a car shown on MID within a reasonable amount of time is far more critical than it used to be now.

Did discover another thing which caused me to thump my head on the desk. Adrian Flux (gave me by *far* the cheapest quote on the Skoda, and were also able to quote sensibly for the other two - including the Saab for which the price of has gone stratospheric in the last few years) don't have their customer services line open on Sundays!

Definite D'oh! Moment there.

...suffice to say I may well consider taking my business elsewhere come the next renewal. Especially as I'm planning to sell the Saab - at least partly because of the stupid costs of insurance these days which I am finding hard to justify these days. So only one classic in the fleet to handle might make life easier.