Garage recommendations in/near Milton Keynes

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Garage recommendations in/near Milton Keynes

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:24 pm

Okay, so having finally got the cooling system itself on the Skoda sorted has revealed definitively that the head gasket is shot. Starting off a cylinder when warm, lumpy power delivery (carb has been cleaned out) across the rev range, and a steady stream of bubbles in the header tank. Bit of mayo on the oil filler cap, though hard to say if that's just condensation from short journeys as it's not used a drop of water in over a week now.

So...I need to get the head gasket changed sooner rather than later, and simply haven't got the time to do it myself at the moment - plus I still haven't found half my tools after the move yet.

Anyone able to recommend a garage in or near Milton Keynes who would be willing to take this on and not be stupid about it?

Imagine we would just be looking at head off, clean up, check head for flatness, skim if necessary, reassemble and change fluids. Or is there other work that should really be done too while the head is off? It's only got 17K on so wouldn't be expecting to have to mess around with things too much.

Exhaust was off recently so that should come off okay, and there's plenty of space to get the head off with manifolds (even the carb if you're lazy) still in situ, so should be a pretty quick job with the right kit and knowhow.

Alternatively...anyone who has more confidence than me want to come and spend a day playing with a classic Skoda? We have a decent coffee machine...
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Re: Garage recommendations in/near Milton Keynes

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:50 pm

It's one of those things that with someone else around who knows their stuff I'd be more confident with - on my own though I am bloody nervous.

It's also tricky given that my time is generally split into highly erratic 30-40 minute blocks just now!

A decent how to might help. Haynes ain't great as it assumes you're stripping the whole engine rather than just the head. Getting the head to a machine shop might be tricky too as the Skud is the only roadworthy car I have access to just now (unless you count the C5!), and MK is somewhat spread out.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Neil Chowney
Administrator

Post by Neil Chowney » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:32 pm

I've had three estelles, 1 x 120s and 2 x 130s, when they do the head gasket I have always had to have them skimmed. I have tried it without and they all needed to come apart again.

I don't know if they warp under the heat or when they come off, but by the time they are off, they need a shave.

Can't say that they will all definitely need it but mine all did.

If I recall correctly from a long time ago, I have mine done by Oselli engineering in Oxford. Not a million miles away but not Milton Keynes.

... i've just checked, they are still going and believe it or not, they have moved (closer) to Milton Keynes. D2-6 Greenway Business Park, Great Horwood, MK17 0NY.
Neil Chowney
Land Rover Discovery Sport (just sold the Freelander)
Cube Agree HTC Di2

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:13 pm

That's a pretty good recommendation, Neil. Will give them a shout and see what they say. Cheers!

Neil Chowney
Administrator

Post by Neil Chowney » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:16 pm

It ws about 30 years ago so they may not remember me and my £10.00 job...... :D
Neil Chowney
Cube Agree HTC Di2

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Let's face it, will probably be 20 odd years since any garage has worked on an Estelle!

Neil Chowney
Administrator

Post by Neil Chowney » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:04 pm

They only did the skimming, I did the rest. I think that to get the head off was around 20 minutes. Very simple.
Neil Chowney
Cube Agree HTC Di2

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:31 pm

Is it just a matter of...

1. Drain coolant.
2. Disconnect wires/hoses to carb and coolant temp sensor.
3. Remove exhaust.
4. Remove rocker cover.
5. Remove head bolts in correct sequence.
6. Remove head.
7. Clean all surfaces.
8. Check head for flatness, skim if necessary.
9. Reassemble.
10. Change oil/filter.
11. Refill coolant and bleed.
12. Have a coffee.

Does the valve train need to be disturbed? If so does it just unbolt and lift out as one? Don't want to drop pushrods into the sump or something daft!