Charity cycle ride (blatant plug!!!)

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
slowbob
Bronze
Bronze

Re: Charity cycle ride (blatant plug!!!)

Post by slowbob » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:51 pm

slowbob wrote:Only 19 weeks to go until my charity ride, it sounds alot but the weeks will soon disappear.
I have upped my training this week, getting out every other day, either to the gym to do some serious high intensity work, or my preferred training, out on the bike.
I managed to do 39 miles in the rolling Suffolk countryside today, let me tell you, Suffolk sn't as flat as you would think. The ride was 2hour 23 mins with an average speed of 16.2 mph. I'm happy with that. I will use that route as a guide to how my fitness is developing, I will see if I can get that down to around 2 hours in the next few months.
If you want to give me your support, please post on here. This is probably the most physical and mental test of endurance that I have ever put my body through and your encouragement will be most welcome. :D
As It's only just over2 weeks now until my ride, I thought I'd test myself over the same course. A little over 5 months of tough training saw me complete the route in 2 hours 3 mins, that's 20 minutes quicker than before
Very pleased with that
The total raised for Macmillan currently stands at £1392.42. Anyone wishing to add to this can follow the link to my just giving page.
Thanks.

slowbob
Bronze
Bronze

Post by slowbob » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:12 pm

Well, thats the training all done. Did my last long ride over the weekend 105 miles searching out Suffolks toughest climbs!!!
I will be heading off to France on Thursday morning for the big event on Sunday.
If anyone would like to donate, now would be the time to do so.
Every penny will be spent helping those unfortunate people who have to deal with the day to day struggle that living with cancer causes.
I have seen first hand what cancer does to loved ones, it's not pleasant and unfortunately all too often it's not a happy ending. Macmillan cancer support where there when my Dad needed some help to make his last few month just that little bit more bearable.
He was proud man who asked for no pity and who faced what was to come with a bravery that still humbles me to this day. I'm doing this ride in his memory. I love you Dad XXX http://www.justgiving.com/Adam-O-Keeffe1

slowbob
Bronze
Bronze

Post by slowbob » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:30 pm

Today was the big day, and what a day. Four monster climbs and three nail biting descents.
My biggest concern was getting swept up by the broom wagon if I didn't make the cut off times. I got within 20 mins of the time on the first climb and then I stayed away reasonably ok mainly thanks to seriously fast decending. I touched 50mph at one point.
I completed the course in 9 hrs 49mins. I chuffed to bits with that, I'm sure I had someone watching over me today.

slowbob
Bronze
Bronze

Post by slowbob » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:01 pm

This is me finishing the race. I'm the one sprinting at the finish.
http://letapedutour.mavic.com/en/watchv ... close&l=en

Its still not too late to donate to a wonderful cause.
http://www.justgiving.com/Adam-O-Keeffe1