One for the rail enthusiasts...

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

One for the rail enthusiasts...

Post by Zelandeth » Mon May 30, 2011 4:43 pm

Not sure if we've got any enthusiasts on here aside from the one other I've spotted, but figured this was worth linking to.

BBC news Article - Deltic Comes Out of Retirement

I'm not a train spotter, but I do appreciate them as lovely bits of engineering, both new and old.

Personal favourite though ever since I first encountered one though has been the Deltic.

Only seen (and heard!) one once when a preserved locomotive (think it was Royal Scots Grey actually) came through Aberdeen when I happened to be walking over Denburn Viaduct - and I found myself wondering what on earth was making that incredible noise. Hearing a Deltic throttling up isn't something you forget in a hurry.

Okay, so hauling freight for a few weeks isn't exactly glamorous compared to the work it did in its heyday...but nevertheless, I imagine the owners pleased as punch as much to see it doing useful work as he is with the payment he'll get for the rental.

Only two things about this article make me a bit sad:

1. It's only working down south, so no chance of seeing it up here.

2. All the shots of it are idling...you'd have thought they'd have filmed at least one shot of it at full pelt!
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Mon May 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Northumberland is down south? I suppose it's all relative.

Lovely thing.

Semtex
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Semtex » Mon May 30, 2011 4:58 pm

I think they are also "running it in" before it goes back into passenger service. (main line ticket)

Not sure cos I couldn't get sound on mine but I believe it was on a preserved line. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm not a train spotter, but an enthusiast who plays with this on a Sunday

Find out more about what we do here
http://www.helstonrailway.co.uk/

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Mon May 30, 2011 5:30 pm

It's down south if you live in Aberdeen!

Main line service? This interests me...Still somewhat irked that I missed the one they had running for a while, think it was Porterbrook or something similar...main thing I remember though was that they painted it purple...which just looked wrong!
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

pmark23
Bronze
Bronze

Post by pmark23 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:18 pm

Is that the one that's always grumpy?