1980 Volkswagen T25 Camper Van Restoration Project

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Can't fault the logic there then, Gadget!

Do you think the proposed repair method for the suspension arm sounds plausible? There are two front mounting points for the trailing arms, so it shouldn't be too hard with some careful measuring and lots of marks scribbled around the general area to get things lined up properly. Using the bolt as the first means of securing helps too as it gives the opportunity for fine-tuning prior to the final, final securing of everything.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:12 pm

I don't see any reason why not.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Excellent.

Okay, next question (suffice to say it's the first time I've done something like this, so there may be a few of them...).

What size and thickness of box should I be using? In Vlad's box-section sill replacement thread 3mm thick section was used. At least to my head that sounds sensible, if not slightly overkill. I'd rather go for overkill than the opposite.

As far as the actual size is concerned, I imagine just going for what fits the gap left by the absent sill would be the best approach - which is about an inch and a half in width I think where it should meet the outer sill.

Thinking given the similarity in size, that I could probably resolve the issues with the crusty bottom few inches of the chassis outrigger with a similar bit of box too.

Basically this will involve "improved" body structures being applied as shown below. The red triangular bit is just a conventional plate which will be needed to close off an area where there would be a void. Will likely reinforce this too.

May well end up doing something similar on the passenger side yet if this works out well!
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

mooshaker
Silver
Silver

Re: 1980 Volkswagen T25 Camper Van Restoration Project

Post by mooshaker » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:52 pm

i worked on overheads at honda for 10 years and you would not believe how far out some floorpans /sus mount points were so im sure you can do a top job on that :o) .....100`s of civics have my chewing gum in a hole in the floor to stop water getting in :shock:

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Re: 1980 Volkswagen T25 Camper Van Restoration Project

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Let's try that again with less IT problems this time...

Think this should be doable - even with my limited experience! Plus side is that I've found that the jacking point/trailing arm mounting points are available new so A: I don't need to worry about getting the old one off in a usable state, and B: It means that other people have done it!

Found another couple of posts elsewhere, and it does sound like a case of cut off, repair area under it, line up and weld on new bracket, re-attach trailing arm.