Rover Eprom -

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:01 pm

You don't say what model.

Depends if it's MEMS or T4. MEMS is virtually impossible to re-flash and T4 is expensive.

Electrical gremlins in Rovers are usually caused by damp in the ECU. Take out, dry thoroughly, replace. See what it's like then.

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:58 pm

I've not fiddled yet / hooked up a interface between the Land Rover and a laptop.
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Holly: This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:51 pm

On the Land Rover the TD5's are known for oil getting into the injection harness and making its way to the ECU. On the LR this is identifable by looking at the red plug that goes into the ECU, if this has oil on it the harness needs replacing, and then every few days check / clean the red plug until the oil stops.

Probably nothing like this on the MG but maybe worth a check?
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Hmmm. Doesn't help.

The 200 series (200,25,ZR) Have both systems but it's most likely to be MEMS. No way of telling without actually looking at the ECU. Picture possible?

That said and looking back at your original post you mention alarm/indicator problems. This is interesting because the 200 series isn't K-Bus - just straight switches/relays/wires therefore any electrical problems are rarely ECU based. However, it sounds like your alarm/immobiliser might be throwing a wobbly.

You can disable the alarm using a code sequence and entering it by turning the drivers door lock to unlock/lock etc. If you don't have the code I have the Rover master code - PM me.

But - I must know the ECU type before we do this.

Finally. A re-flash will do nothing for you.

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Is it a Rover fitted alarm? or aftermarket?
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:13 pm

You still need to know whether it's MEMS or T4. MEMS you can just swap. T4 you can't and it's very expensive to get sorted. The T4 is coded to the instrument cluster, keys, ignition key switch etc etc. It's not a re-flash although it's often described as such. I hate to say it but you could be getting into more money than the car's worth.

Have you done all the simple things like drying everything out, check the door/bonnet/tailgate switches, the ultrasonic sensor etc?

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:29 pm

Just had a thought. What's his battery like? Has he tried it with a known good battery? T4 Rovers do weird things when the battery is dodgy.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:26 pm

That's corrrect Simon ....... in theory.

It's 2005. Last ones off the line were 2005 and MG Rover were doing anything they could to get cars out the door then. That's why I've been so insistent we identify the computer.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:36 pm

Late model MG Rovers are a complete bodge. I hate 'em.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Yes. Spoke to him today and he hasn't got any at the mo.