Whats A "Proper" 4x4?

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
iwanna
Bronze
Bronze

Whats A "Proper" 4x4?

Post by iwanna » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:24 pm

Its the old arguement.

But what is a "proper" 4x4?

For me its mechanical traction control, the ability to go anywhere any time without major mods and of course no electronics to hinder you.

But does that make it a proper 4x4?

For instance, BMW x5, is that a proper 4x4? A RR Sport, is that a proper 4x4? Both have electronic 4x4 systems which shut down in extreme conditions (for safety) but with correct tyres both are capable off road cars.
1.7i, White. Sadly for sale.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:26 pm

A proper 4x4 is any 4 wheel drive car whose driver fully understands the capabilities and deficiencies of his vehicle.

Eddy
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Eddy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:42 am

"proper 4WD" is generally recognized as having a separate chassis, with hi-lo transfer case.

and can often be found with their flabby bulk being dragged out of the goop by us fakers in our make-believe fourbies ...
"Kremlin Gremlin" '85 Lada Niva, weber, 33x10.5r15, 4" lift, rust,dents.
'78 Leyland Terrier V8 ... TRUCK

87ladaniva
Bronze
Bronze

Post by 87ladaniva » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:20 am

Eddy wrote:"proper 4WD" is generally recognized as having a separate chassis, with hi-lo transfer case.

and can often be found with their flabby bulk being dragged out of the goop by us fakers in our make-believe fourbies ...
AMEN
If you think im slow now..................wait till im in low range

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Hmm, for me it's always just been vehicles which are very, or surprisingly capable off road.

Obviously - in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing with it!

Niva, old-school Range Rovers, first generation of the Discovery, Toyota Land Cruiser (my only experience being with a long wheel base, white B reg one with a lovely sounding 4 litre diesel power unit with more torque than god), Series & Defender Land Rovers being some of the obvious ones - though I've always had a lot of respect for the old Suzuki SJ series and the old 4WD Panda after seeing what they could do off road.

I've never had a chance to try a Daihatsu Fourtrack off road - but it wouldn't surprise me if with decent rubber on the wheels if they were pretty good.

Things which don't fit the bill in my view: Kia Sportage, the modern Range Rovers with about as much ground clearance as my Suzuki Cappuccino, BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, Vauxhall Frontera (not as if you'd get far enough before it broke down to test its abilties anyway...). There are dozens more which I can't think of off the top of my head too.

There are dozens of other cars out there too which I don't think of as "proper" 4x4's - doesn't mean they're bad cars, just means I've not thought of them in this category!

It's a tricky one to quantify though! It's a bit like asking "What's a sports car?" and leaving the floor open!
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

bodgit0_0
Bronze
Bronze

Post by bodgit0_0 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:12 am

This is my current effort at a 'Proper 4x4'.

Current Fleet.

1981 Metro 'S'
1982 Metro HLE
1983 Land Rover LWT
1985 RB44
1990 Meastro Turbo
1988 Montego Estate
1987 Land Rover 90
1990 RB44

Aaron
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Aaron » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:10 pm

and don't be so mean about fronterras, mine has not broken down yet, although i do have to climb in from the passenger side as drivers door hinges knackered, and i have to jump start it every morning, and she stalls after the first 200 yards, and she looses power, and one of the back doors doesn't open, and the sunroof leaks, and the spare whhel carrier is seized up, and the brakes bind, and i have to buy fuel every couple of miles, and the radio doesn't work.
but she is pretty usefull on snow.
Aaron, Grantham <br>
Riva1600SLX (floorless example, sadly not a spelling mistake)
Citroen (surprisingly quite good) C3
Nissan (it's only for towing the caravan) X-trail
Simson S51

comradephil
Standard
Standard

Post by comradephil » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:12 pm

Lots of difflocks get my vote...... unstoppable and now living out its life somewhere in the Netherlands.
Back with a vengeance... but no Lada

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:21 pm

Mmmmmmmm G Wagon ........ me likes G Wagon.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:02 am

Oooh, I'd forgotten about the G-Wagon. Been ages since I saw one.

There was a V8 powered version of that as well wasn't there? Someone who lived up the road from us used to drop their kids off at my primary school in one (beige, think it was C reg), and the main thing I remember about it was that it made a lovely noise!

Granted, I was about 5 at the time.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

iwanna
Bronze
Bronze

Post by iwanna » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:57 am

Had an AMG G-Wagen in work for accident work, scary fast.
1.7i, White. Sadly for sale.