Today I mostly .....

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by Zelandeth » Wed May 03, 2017 2:06 pm

Yesterday I pulled a bunch of bits off the Riva.

(Alternator was already off having its brushes replaced, radiator and all the large bore coolant pipes were out to be cleaned up and for me to replace all the dodgy old hose clips that were leaking).

Removed...

Air cleaner, carb, a million vacuum hoses, inlet manifold, accelerator pedal & linkage (that was a pain in the tail to do without removing the clutch and brake lines). Also swapped out the timing chain cover and crankshaft pulley for Niva 1.7i monopoint items ready to accept the CPS.

So far getting the throttle pedal out has been the greatest source of cursing... Let's see if that remains the case!
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Aaron
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Aaron » Tue May 09, 2017 6:57 pm

wrote a Lada for sale post, then couldn't bring my self to click 'submit'.
Aaron, Grantham <br>
Riva1600SLX (floorless example, sadly not a spelling mistake)
Citroen (surprisingly quite good) C3
Nissan (it's only for towing the caravan) X-trail
Simson S51

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu May 11, 2017 5:49 pm

Today I mostly...

Attempted the first start of the fuel injection converted Riva.

I'd done a static test of my horrific fuel supply lash up (I wanted to know it would work before spending hours routing pipework!) so I knew fuel wouldn't wind up spraying everywhere at least...beyond that anything could happen! I could have the ignition timing a million miles out, I could have a duff ECU, the list goes on.

What actually happened was it whooshed into life as a TBi equipped car missing it's air cleaner does, then settled down into a silky smooth idle. Of all the things I expected that was *not* one of them!

Still a tonne of work to do, but at least I've proven the concept is sound!

Youtube Video of the initial startup over here!.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Tom.
Site Owner

Post by Tom. » Thu May 11, 2017 9:50 pm

Zel, sounds spot on :)
97 Niva 1.7i
2107 Riva Sport
2104 Estate 1500

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri May 12, 2017 11:04 am

Definitely progress! Still little things to do like... actually plumbing in the fuel system properly, fitting an accelerator pedal...routing the loom into the car (I don't think the "Let's balance the ECU on the windscreen wiper" look will catch on), just minor stuff like that!

May need to get some assistance with swapping the lambda sensor as I can't get my wrench into it because the steering box is in the way. Only solution I can see with my tools is to split the downpipe from the manifold...which sounds like a recipe for snapped studs.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri May 12, 2017 11:11 pm

Random observation of the day: goodness the throttle linkage on the Riva is complicated. It's seriously like an invention from a Loony Toons cartoon...I count six changes in direction that force has to go through between you pressing the pedal to that motion arriving at the throttle butterfly.

Surely they could have just used a cable like they did on the (monopoint injection anyway) Niva...

Currently working out how to work this on my Riva, currently leaning toward modifying (Read: hit it with a big hammer to put a bend where I need it) the Niva pedal rather than try to attach it to the mousetrap like contraption already there.

Biggest headache in using the original setup is that the last pivot was anchored by the carb base nuts - which now aren't there (the TBi unit has totally different fixing points), so there's nothing to attach it to...

We're now tackling the list labelled "Really annoying stuff I wish I had worked out before I put everything back in the engine bay.". Faffing around with the throttle linkage is high on that list.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue May 16, 2017 6:17 pm

Took the Lada out for the first test run since starting the injection conversion project...

It works!

Initial impressions are that I seem to have a very, very significant amount of additional torque. I also have power delivery that is actually smooth, and I can actually hold the car on a light throttle without it carrying on. Can also report that having done a thorough reverse flushed of the heater that it is now getting as hot as it should do. First time it's been more than lukewarm since I bought the car.

Slightly sticky throttle pedal (at the closed setting) needs resolving and there is still a lot of wiring to be tidied up just due to the Riva engine bay being a different shape to that of the Niva.

Also found a mod that I need to do. Went to refit the cooling fan shroud today and found that one of the supports wants to occupy the same space as the crankshaft position sensor. Easy enough to sort with the grinder though, will just cut a notch in the fan support for the connector.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed May 24, 2017 12:15 am

Took a bunch of garden waste to the tip using the Saab (it already needs a valet, so less bothered about it getting full of tree), and suddenly lost a cylinder just as I turned into our neighbourhood. As I pulled into the drive the cloud of acrid smelling smoke and steam from my tailpipe caught up with me - and blanked out most of the block.

Yep...the going head gasket has indeed now gone! Guess that will be the next big job then. Will give the fuel system in the Riva a thorough check over tomorrow as it looks like some of the temporary stuff may have to be a bit less so than I'd hoped. All stuff I reckon should be just fine though.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed May 31, 2017 3:42 pm

Yesterday, moved the fuel pump in the Riva from in the boot to under the car just ahead of the fuel tank. Will need to make a proper bracket for it at some point. This has reduced noise from it though to a perfectly acceptable hum rather than a hiss/whine that had you wanting to claw your ears out after five minutes.

Today changed the brake pads on the Riva after they started making horrible scraping noises yesterday. I knew that job was on the horizon so already had the pads in stock. Nice simple job for a change that took about 20 minutes. Far more material left on the nearside pads than the offside, so I'll keep an eye on the balance. Want to go back in and change the flexi hoses anyway, but will wait for a day I've more spare time on hand.

Nice easy caliper design to do the pads on...but I'll bet it's a pig in those pins are rusted in place!

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Took some measurements to ascertain what layout changes would be needed on/around our driveway to accommodate a potential future addition to the fleet. A 9' by 50' rectangle should be pretty easy to make happen actually without leaving us without a garden of causing outright war with our neighbours.

Another reason the much maligned tree out front needs to go though!

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Today I mostly...spent approximately 23 hours door to door travelling to my in law's house for a holiday in the US...looooooooong day...

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:03 pm

Today I mostly...

...had my first day of not being jetlagged to hell and back.

Will soon be saying goodbye to the Skoda. Well...not really. I'll still see it regularly as it's only moving five miles or so, and I'm good friends with the new owner. Will be doing my best to help ease them into the trials and tribulations of owning a car of this type!

...also looking forward to welcoming a new member to my fleet. Another Dante Red Citroen Xantia will be heading for my driveway (yes, this one has laquer peel issues as well), but not a simple 1.9TD in SX trim. This one's a 2.0T Activa.

...Given the complexity of the Activa system (11 spheres!) wouldn't even consider it if I didn't have one of the most knowledgeable guys in the country on these cars virtually on my doorstep.

Will be the first car I've had (on the road anyway) with leather, and the first ever with wood trim inside. Probably the most powerful by a decent margin too...given that I live in the land of roundabouts will be interesting to see how well the Activa system handles them!

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:58 am

Yesterday got dragged all the way between Milton Keynes and Livingston in the back of a 2017 VW Caravelle. Goodness it's so much more comfortable than the Golf R Estate last year which honestly was torture after about an hour. Still less comfortable than I reckon it's 20 year old equivalent would have by virtue of it having typically modernly over-stiff suspension and very firm seats. Still...bloody glad to not have had to endure the Golf again.

Today have mostly been busy running around mostly watching the madness and mayhem unfold here, and marvelling at how well the hotel are actually managing being full to capacity. We're at that awkward size now where we're hitting that challenge of how to find a suitable venue for more than a few hundred people, but less than 1500... there's a big void there that's a real challenge to get around.

This evening though I've started trying to figure out what to do about the one problem with my new acquisition (not that I've even got it yet!), and that's the blasted clear coat peel. Long term it will need a full respray - but it'll likely be a couple of years before I can realistically throw a couple of grand at it to have that done. I fully intend to do it - but it will be a while.

So what the heck do I do in the meantime? The "sunburn" as I tend to refer to it will need dealing with or it will drive me mad. Gabriel I was willing to deal with it to some extend as she was a 206K mile workhorse who only owed me £295, so was allowed a few battle scars...the Activa though is a bit more special and is actually worth spending something on. Especially as it's probably one of (if not the) best sorted examples mechanically and hydraulically speaking in the country.

Anyone had any experience with that "Platicote" paint? I've seen some folks successfully use it on wheels and bumpers, but I've zip knowledge of how it behaves on larger panels or how durable it is.

Open to suggestions...

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:34 pm

After a great weekend up north, back to normal life again.

Having finally managed to secure the correct slave cylinder for the clutch on the Skoda I set about getting that changed over today. One of those very rare cases of it actually being as simple to do as it really should be. Can't have taken more than 20 minutes from start to finish, including bleeding and adjusting the clutch.

I've ordered a new thermostat to hopefully resolve the intermittent - and difficult to replicate - overheating issue that it's shown on a couple of occasions. The 'stat wasn't done when I changed the head gasket as the seller I'd bought one had sent the wrong one. Given the behaviour I'd seen I suspect that it's sticking.

Just need to finish giving it the once over and throw the new thermostat in, then will get it booked in for an MOT. Then we can start thinking about making arrangements to get the swap done - the current owner of the Xantia Activa is going to be taking ownership of the Skoda while I move back into the world of Citroen ownership with their Activa.

Have to admit that I haven't half missed having one since I sold my old TD on a year or so back.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Sounds like you're making great progress there Mary, really interested to see and hear how things go.

If you're already doing this much work on it, I'd almost be tempted to pull the engine out. Really improve access to the inner wings etc, makes life easier if you're wanting to do any paint around there - and while it's on the stand give the engine a once-over. Clean it up and paint it up so it's as nice as the rest of the car. Not sure if there are any major preventative tasks that are really needed on these engines save for checking out the timing chain tensioner... that's easy enough with it in the car too though.