Today I mostly .....

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:07 pm

Today I mostly...

Reduced a Niva's injection system to a large number of zip lock plastic bags of bits and a non-hacked injection loom (save for the vehicle speed sensor - but I know I need to get inventive for that one anyway).

Need a crankshaft position sensor (someone had already swiped that) and lambda sensor (no way on earth it was coming out with my tools), but I was pretty much expecting that.

Assuming the Riva one being three wire is totally different to the four wire one the Niva uses and can't just be wired to suit...
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

mt500
Standard
Standard

Post by mt500 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:41 pm

Used the £1300 profit selling the last Niva to buy another more fit for purpose.

Neil Chowney
Administrator

Post by Neil Chowney » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:44 pm

.... re-spotted a very nice and shiny 2131 (yes, the five door) in Basingstoke. I noticed this a few months ago broken down outside the Milestones museum, (other breakdown locations are available).

This time it was parked up next to a block of flats in the town centre so I guess they live there.

It has Hungarian plates on so if anyhone knows who it is......
Neil Chowney
Land Rover Discovery Sport (just sold the Freelander)
Cube Agree HTC Di2

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Took the Skoda out for a quick run.

...It decided to start overheating again a few hundred yards from home on the way back, and proceeded to spit all of its coolant out of the overflow hose as soon as I turned the engine off. Started tipping it down outside since then so haven't had a chance to investigate. That will be on the to do list for tomorrow.

Not amused!
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:00 pm

...Started the "rebuild" of my study/annexe.

First task was to remove an unreasonable amount of stuff from such a small space, thank myself for realising the first layout wasn't going to be permanent so hadn't done any cable management behind the PC.

Next task was to attack the desk with the jigsaw - it started out about 15cm wider than the room - so needed to be cut down to size, previously it was lengthways along one wall - and barely left enough room for me to get into or out of the chair, and I'm skinny! Now it's across the back wall that will make much more efficient use of the space. Full width, deep shelf above is next on the list, will be deep enough to actually accommodate things like the A3 printer and oscilloscope, which have always been generally classed as "a complete pain in the tail" because they never fit anywhere. Reminds me, need to order a new ribbon for that printer...Keep forgetting. At least this should be the last time I move the blasted thing!

Tom.
Site Owner

Post by Tom. » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:49 pm

Spotted this in East Yorkshire. Can't say I've ever seen another.

97 Niva 1.7i
2107 Riva Sport
2104 Estate 1500

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Ascertained that my Saab has blown its head gasket. Combustion gases pressurising the coolant.

Had been pondering putting the Skoda up for sale for a while, simply because it's never really getting used and because I've been finding the task of getting parts increasingly frustrating...This has just forced my hand somewhat.

Seriously considering putting a cheeky offer in on a scruffy Cherokee I've found for sale... They're having a laugh asking a grand for it, but depending on the quality of the previous repair work (the MOT history shows quite a bit of welding done in the last few years) I reckon £350-500 might be reasonable.

Plan would then be to rust proof the snot out of the underside, gut the interior for a really deep clean, and give it a lick of paint...I'm thinking each panel a different colour (the more violently clashing the better) at the moment...Or maybe Matt black with red detailing as per the A-Team van. Reckon Multicolour Swap-Shop sounds more fun though...

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Gave the Skoda a wash, as of course being parked by the tree for more than two milliseconds it was covered in pine needles and bird poo.

Still needs a polish and wax thanks to the local hand car wash who used TFR on it and stripped all the wax off. If the weather cooperates I might get that done tomorrow. Moral of the story: When you've asked them to do something a specific way - don't take your eye off them for a second!

Of course the Saab and Lada were also filthy, therefore I gave them a clean as well.

Lada only needed a quik skim over really as it wasn't too bad. Really do need to get the wheel centres on the rear wheels fitted though, that's bugging me!

Most importantly though, I've started clearing this disaster area up!

Reckon that if I actually get rid of everything in here that's actually junk and optimise the storage of the rest I might actually have a hope of fitting a car in there.

...Eventually.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Today I mostly...

Attempted (and failed) to fix the wonky driver's door on my Riva.

Usual problem, spot weld holding the lower hinge block to the door frame has come away. Guessing it's common given I had this happen on the passenger door on my Niva and offside rear door on my previous Riva.

One of those things that I would have a couple of options if the door was off the car, managed to bolt it together on the Niva which held just fine for three years before I sold the car. However I don't have access to do that without removing the door. ...Which I can't do because somebody has tried to unbolt it and munched the heads on the screws holding the hinges onto the pillar.

Current plan is to revive my welder and re-weld it. Won't be pretty, but I should be able to get enough of a bead from the top and bottom of the bracket to the door frame. Awkward but will be getting it cleaned up first - I foresee much faffing about with wet and dry paper taped to the end of a screwdriver because the window runner is in the way.

The windows work just fine in this car too, so I'm sure not about to go dismantling that assembly!

Before the door card goes back on, will be taking the opportunity to improve on the (frankly laughable) factory rust proofing of the door as well. Gives me a good reason to do the other three and the hatch as well...The top of the door isn't even painted...No wonder they rot out there!

Aaron
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:09 pm

Tidied out, vacuumed and washed My Lada

It has been used as an ad hoc shed for a few years, now it looks like a car again. I even applied the vacuum cleaner to the engine bay. Removed all the dried leaves, cobwebs and rust flakes. Removed the mouse nest from the boot. Washed off the mossy green finish to bring it back to Blueish. Also freed off a seized brake. And took some photos. Actually I took the photos before cleaning it out. Also sprayed some WD40 onto all the seizing up hinges and door catches. Tried to start the engine - a bit optimistic given that I hadn't got a fully charged battery and she probably has no fuel, but it did turn over nicely.
Aaron, Grantham <br>
Riva1600SLX (floorless example, sadly not a spelling mistake)
Citroen (surprisingly quite good) C3
Nissan (it's only for towing the caravan) X-trail
Simson S51

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:01 pm

Well, yesterday anyway...I mostly spent most of the day driving to the dentist, having a tooth pulled, driving home again, followed by hiding in a corner trying to pretend the world didn't exist. That was quite possibly the most physically unpleasant experience of my life to date.

Had hoped to make progress on the EFi project this week, but time has conspired against me so far.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Finally got around to fitting the wheel centres to the rear wheels of the Riva.

Has only taken me *counts* five months to remember to do that...

Going to try to get to a show on Sunday, so will need to give the car a good clean up tomorrow...

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Discovered upon starting today that the alternator has lost interest in charging the battery.

Bother.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:23 pm

Hoping that it's just a case of the brushes being stuck in the holders as happened to the Saab rather than something more terminal. I don't recon that things will have been helped by the (extensive) oil leak from the rocker cover or water leaks from every single hose clip that hasn't yet been changed. Might be the time to do that actually as the pipe that runs underneath the exhaust manifold for one might well be easier to get to from underneath...

What a mess...

Also, seriously...how many bolts did they really think they needed to hold the undertray in...it's better attached than the entire front crossmember on the Peugeot 107 in my fleet!

Also really glad it waited until today, as we were out at a classic car show yesterday, so I'd have been well peeved if it had decided to play up yesterday morning.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:25 pm

Spent most of the afternoon larking about in London...Realising two or three hours too late that the one thing I *really* should have done was apply sunscreen. I suspect that I may have got slightly crispy.

Even thought about it when I arrived at the venue, then totally forgot about it.