wow!!

New and used Ladas can be found here
GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Welcome along. You'll find us quite a friendly lot when you get to know us.

It is a GM engine. The new Nivas lost the Fiat based lumps a year or so back. They've transferred the engine from the Chevy Niva. No idea how good or bad it is.

The RHD stuff is interesting. VAZ don't even have parts anymore and RHD steering boxes here are a safer bet than gold for a long term investment. Keep us posted on that one.

Built for Siberia not suburbia ...... that was me. Thought up for a little competition Alan had for a new slogan. It does pop up rather a lot.

markiparki
Standard
Standard

Steering racks

Post by markiparki » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:46 pm

I see your point on the Lada racks.

I guess as the steering is now power assisted the old Fiat 124 jobs don't fulfill the role any more.

I am aware of folks who have 'matched' off the shelf parts from other manufacturers. Unless Alan replies with some miracle device for my French Niva I might have to go down the breakers and sort through their boxes - or find another breaker Niva for a rack for my one.

In terms of the new cars project, the engineer in Gdansk actually favours using another manufacturers closely matching rack and changing the connecting parts if need be.

It remains to be seen whether he can come up with all the bits needed, including a new dash moulding - so until then LHD only!

Having driven plenty of left hookers here anyway, the Niva is not terribly wide and the high driving position goes a long way to counter LHD issues. Not that this will swing it with 'er indoors, however.

Mark

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:45 am

Before you go rumaging around scrap yards consider the following:

As well as moving the steering you have to move the throttle, brakes and clutch as well and there ain't a whole lot of room on the right side of the Niva to start with.

The factory RHD Nivas are a bit cluttered (read, an absolute nightmare!) in that area of the engine bay and I would imagine other things on a normally LHD car are in your way. I would have a good look to see if it's feasible first. At a very minimum you need to fit the steering box, brake servo, brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder and throttle linkage in there.

That's before you even consider the dash and wiring!

avin
Bronze
Bronze

wow

Post by avin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:09 am

My apologies to Mark, as it appears the GM motor is fitted to niva's now, I thought as the chevy niva had a 1690 cc engine that it was still the same old fiat engine which although not the quitest engine around was pretty bulletproof, a shame if a lovely old but simple motor is no more.
Colin.
It's never over till the screeching stops

Hoodoo
No rank

Post by Hoodoo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:15 pm

I believe you'll find the 'old shape' Nivas still use the earlier Lada 1.7 engine, based on the 1.6, based on the FIAT 124. The Chevy models use a different, GM engine, and gearbox. In those respects, they are different vehicles, although a lot of commonality in the running gear remains.
Regards,
Hoodoo
'03 Niva 1.7si
Buckley, North Wales.

markiparki
Standard
Standard

Confused

Post by markiparki » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Hmmp.

You've got me all confused now.

All I wanted to do was make a good value little Niva available to interested parties...

I am told that I can have a factory RHD Niva built if I order, wait for it, 500 vehicles.

Needless to say I have declined.

The lhd car will be perfectly good as far as most mud pluggers are concerned I'm sure - but swapping out parts from a breaking Niva can't be insurmountable?? I am convinced the steering equipment hasn't changed wildly since the dawn of time - and in terms of wiring, it's not got too many bells/whistles/computers.

Rewiring a late model Mustang for the SVA was tough to do nicely, based on the level of finish needed and all the computer controls - surely the Niva is a simpler beast? (Yes, swapping the steering and dash will be interesting).

I do have a CSE in woodwork you know.

Anyway, for the time being, LHD!

Right - I'll try and ring Alan now. This feels a bit like being outside the headmasters office...

Hoodoo
No rank

Post by Hoodoo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Swapping the steering parts from a breaking RHD to put in a LHD is not insurmountable, but hardly worthwhile. The RHD steering parts are not available, so there's an issue with availability of spares in the future, and LHD is not a problem in the UK (my '03 is LHD).
Basically, stay with LHD - it's just not worth the hassle of swapping!
Regards,
Hoodoo
'03 Niva 1.7si
Buckley, North Wales.

Hoodoo
No rank

Post by Hoodoo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:01 pm

And the headmaster's a nice guy! :D
Regards,
Hoodoo
'03 Niva 1.7si
Buckley, North Wales.

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:29 pm

Its not Alan you need to watch for, its those pesky Sheeps!!!
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Holly: This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!

markiparki
Standard
Standard

Headmaster

Post by markiparki » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:31 pm

Quite right the Headmaster is a nice chap.

I called him yesterday and he is a gentleman. Did let me know what a tiny market new Nivas probably have though. Fair point.

I think it's a hardcore mudplugger's piece of kit right enough.

Yes Lhd is fine by me. Still letting 'my man' in the East come up with something if he really can - and if he can certify it (no Meccano though).

Hoodoo
No rank

Post by Hoodoo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:44 pm

If you can source a few RHD steering boxes, idlers, and link rods, you'll be hailed as a God!
Not just in the UK, but anywhere where they still drive on the correct side of the road.
:D Regards,
Hoodoo
'03 Niva 1.7si
Buckley, North Wales.

eveshamsteve

Post by eveshamsteve » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Hoodoo wrote:If you can source a few RHD steering boxes, idlers, and link rods, you'll be hailed as a God!
Not just in the UK, but anywhere where they still drive on the correct side of the road.
:D Regards,
Old skool racer says he is in China and there is a possibility of having some RHD steering boxes made. Could be worth looking into that.

crb247
Diamond
Diamond

Post by crb247 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:24 pm

It would almost be easier to develop a kit to mount a shielded R&P down by the sway bar.....
'96 Niva 1.7i Cossack - Daily Driver
'98 MPV 4X4
webby-http://sites.google.com/site/ladacanada/

James_niva
Bronze
Bronze

Post by James_niva » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:59 am

I was excited for a second when someone said they have different engines, had dreams of importing the new engine and putting in my old shape niva :(

crb247
Diamond
Diamond

Post by crb247 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:09 am

The engine/tranny combo of the chevy niva wouldn't be too far of a stretch to fit in an old body style niva.
'96 Niva 1.7i Cossack - Daily Driver
'98 MPV 4X4
webby-http://sites.google.com/site/ladacanada/