Today I mostly .....

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Neil Chowney
Administrator

Post by Neil Chowney » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:57 pm

that'll be because of all the marijuana they put into it..........

Don't ever ask for hash browns in Holland...... :lol:
Neil Chowney
Land Rover Discovery Sport (just sold the Freelander)
Cube Agree HTC Di2

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Today I ordered the correct impellor for the outboard engine. Well, fingers crossed.
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Holly: This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!

vlad
Bronze
Bronze

Post by vlad » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:26 pm

I thought it was the colour you like but your partner doesn't
or
the one you don't like but she does...!
Lada Niva 1.7i aka 'Vlad'
Skoda Octavia VRS aka 'Skud missile'
R1 streetfighter aka 'Bob'
VW Corrado project car aka 'Project Tango II'

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:59 pm

Reduced this laptop down to its component parts for the second time and attempted to reflow the BGA under the GPU.

If it lasts less than two weeks this time it'll be getting sent away to be sorted professionally with the GPU and Northbridge chips replaced.

Took me a full evening to get it apart the first time...amasing the difference that knowing how the three dimensional jigsaw fits together makes though! Had it apart, reflowed as best I can with the kit I have here, reassembled and on the bench being tested in under two hours this time...and even found where the two screws I had left over last time came from!

Typing on it now...only time will tell I guess.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:18 pm

£100 seems to be the going rate for this repair (including a 6 month warranty on the repair) which is a known fault with this model (and in fact the Geforce Go 7300GPU) it seems. The BGA on the GPU will generally last around 2 years (Thanks Nvidia...).

The Northbridge is generally replaced while the board's being worked on as a precaution, as it's also prone to failure for the same reason.

Machine's a couple of years old, but it's a 17" machine, 2Gb of Ram, AMD Turion x2 (not sure what spec off the top of my head I'm afraid) CPU and a 160Gb harddrive.

Is running Ubuntu 9.10 at the moment, and seems to be coping just fine with everything I've thrown at it so far...seems more responsive in some ways than my desktop actually!

It's quite a bit to spend on a machine, but there certainly seems to be a couple of years of life left in it yet...Just seems a shame to throw a perfectly capable machine out, especially when it's got such a lovely display and oddly for a laptop, a decent keyboard too.

If the owner's not willing to spend that on it (close friend of mine - I said I'd do what I could to save it before getting the professionals involved), think I would be...doubt I'd be in with much chance of picking up a secondhand machine of the same spec for that price.

£100 is still a lot less than £350 or so which I'd be expecting to pay for a midrange laptop these days...though admittedly it's a long, long while since I looked at them.

...And when I looked, I was after portability above all else...hence the EeePC 701 I ended up with! (Cracking little machine too I might add).
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

crb247
Diamond
Diamond

Post by crb247 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:25 am

Was down in Detroit. Now i'm home. Back out tomorrow. Found out the Snowmobile Trail are officially closed...WOOHOO Let the wheelin' season begin!
'96 Niva 1.7i Cossack - Daily Driver
'98 MPV 4X4
webby-http://sites.google.com/site/ladacanada/

meter rat
Bronze
Bronze

Post by meter rat » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Today i mostly; handed in my notice :D . And I'm now off to watch England get beaten at Rugby. And spend some time ice climbing next week.

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Yesterday i washed, dried and waxed the Landy. Got some cheap wax from Netto and worked well. Looks shiney :-)
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:41 pm

It does work, and works well.....until its goes down the motorway during a downpour and i get caught behind a lorry.
It got to the point i couldnt see out the side window due to dirt.
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:48 pm

Spent two hours stripping down a Sony Vaio laptop due to a duff power connector. Turns out its not soldered to the motherboard, instead its a power lead that slides into a holder and plugs into the board.
So now onto the hunt for a spare part.
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:57 pm

PC World quoted over £200 to look/fix
Its a 3 yo laptop. :-(

Part is
FoxConn 07/09/27
073-0001-3775_A
PCG-7Z2M
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:25 pm

Just found out i won a 12month subscription to Total Off Road :-)
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

crb247
Diamond
Diamond

Post by crb247 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:08 am

Down in Southern Ontario at the Main termnial. Just got in after bringing another driver back that was involved in a T-bone incident after missing a stop sign in the fog.... He was a nice guy but his trucking days are done. Truck was a total write off as well as the pickup that hit him. It was a 55mph crossroad and what can i say.... The pickup hit him so hard it completely twisted the frame on the transport.. even after the fuel tank absorbed a lot of the impact.

It was in their news so posting it wouldn't be an issue i figure.
TOWN OF KAUKAUNA — The driver of a pickup truck was injured Friday morning when a semitrailer truck ran a stop sign in dense fog and struck the pickup at County J and County JJ.

The Wisconsin State Patrol said Jonathon Young, 19, of Kaukauna, was transported to Theda Clark Medical Center in Neenah, where he was listed in good condition Friday night.

Outagamie County Sheriff's Sgt. Dave Spaeth said the driver of the semi, a 28-year-old man from Canada, was heading east on County JJ at 7:30 a.m. when he missed a stop sign and hit the pickup truck, which was southbound on County J.

"He didn't see it," Spaeth said. "He went right through it. Fog is a contributing factor."

The crash ruptured a fuel tank on the truck tractor, causing diesel fuel to spill into a ditch.

Kaukauna Assistant Fire Chief Gene Prellwitz said the Outagamie County Office of Emergency Management was contacted along with the state Department of Natural Resources to respond to the scene because the semi was in the ditch leaking fuel, leaking fuel. The Outagamie County Highway Department also responded to assist with cleanup at the scene
'96 Niva 1.7i Cossack - Daily Driver
'98 MPV 4X4
webby-http://sites.google.com/site/ladacanada/

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:08 am

County J and County JJ. ?????
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:41 am

I think ive finally won the battle with the Rootkit, trojans and spyware on a mates laptop. A combo of, Mcafee AV, Spybot, Adaware, ComboFix, a Vuno checker to make sure and removing the HD to plug into another PC to scan it again to make sure!
Regards.
John 2E0DHN