tech sucks - sometimes!

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:06 pm

I agree with you totally.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:33 pm

Dell? Burn it. I would rather chew off my own legs than use a Dell.

Horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, cheap, nasty, piles of shoite!

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:39 pm

If you really must use a (spit) Dell install XP then Vista then Fedora or Suse and then Suse or Fedora. If you want Vista 64 I'd recommend installing it on its own partition.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:44 pm

Thought of Virtualizing?

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:55 pm

Activation Keys are region specific .... even MSDN ones.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:04 am

M$ don't always get it right
There's an understatement if I ever heard one! LOL

crb247
Diamond
Diamond

Post by crb247 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:57 am

There was an add-on for firefox that was excellent. Baxter mentioned it before to look at his gallery when it was on the Ad laden host ages ago. can't for the life of me remember what it was.
'96 Niva 1.7i Cossack - Daily Driver
'98 MPV 4X4
webby-http://sites.google.com/site/ladacanada/

baxter

Post by baxter » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:20 pm

crb247 wrote:There was an add-on for firefox that was excellent. Baxter mentioned it before to look at his gallery when it was on the Ad laden host ages ago. can't for the life of me remember what it was.
NoScript.

It blocks and gives you the choice to allow scripts to run or not. I wouldn't go to exploring Russian sites for Niva info without it :)

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:44 pm

Ubuntu at the moment is doing something very unusual, and is actually being a bit of a pain. Basically because it's refusing to talk properly to the Wacom Bamboo tablet I was bought by my family for my birthday.

If I have to reboot into XP to use it, so be it...not the end of the world (finally got rid of Vista a couple of weeks back following the demise of the harddrive that was on...now in a circular battle between PC World and Hitachi to get the to honor the 3 year manufacturer warranty...but that's another story)...but it'd be nice to be able to use it under Ubuntu...as that's what I've used day in day out for the last two plus years now.

Happy with how the PC's set up now. XP on its own drive, an old 60Gb one - my XP install CD predates SP2 - which complicates the initial setup somewhat due to the drive size limitation. Ubuntu's set up on a separate 1Tb (Samsung now...learned my lesson!) where all my documents are. No data was lost when the previous drive died...I carry out backups almost religiously now.

Eee 704G running Ubuntu 9.04 UNR too which I've no intention of mucking around with the software on anytime soon. it does precisely what I ask it to without any song or dance, or ever crashing.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:56 pm

Hitachi's are good drives. Must have got an iffy one. You're much better sorting the warranty yourself .....

http://www.hitachigst.com

And click on Warranty/RMA

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:52 am

If you can load FF in Safe mode, this may assist.
For me the path on the shortcut is
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Holly: This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 am

Maybe uninstall FF and download new version?
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:23 pm

Well...Got the tablet working...didn't actually take me that long once I read through the howto's properly. Not just need to start using it...been a long time since I last drew anything!

No further on with the harddrive saga...Hitachi just tell me to return it to the vendor - and they tell me to contact the manufacturer. Only thing I can really go by is the manufacture date, as I've not got the receipt any more (C'mon...two and a half years on, who can find every receipt?).

Bit of a shame really, as I've used IBM/Hitachi drives for years...and have never had any trouble before this one, though I did seem to dodge the 75GXP fiasco at least, which I think put a lot of people off. Oldest drive I think I've got is a 2.1Gb one from 1996 (DORS-32160 I think...) which has had a knackered motor since I got it in 1998...but still works perfectly once you actually manage to get it to start, which usually takes three or four tries...Bit like starting my Riva actually now that I think about it...

Samsung one in here now though is a heck of a lot quieter (read: silent), and runs a good 10 degrees cooler...so I'm happy for now.

Would be nice to have another working 750Gb drive though rather than what is effectively a small but surprisingly heavy doorstop.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:34 pm

See above. Use the Hitachi website.

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:29 am

A complete uninstall of FF ?
Regards.
John 2E0DHN