Today I mostly .....

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by Zelandeth » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:21 pm

Currently away from home in the US, so will have nothing to report car wise for a bit. Though assuming the part numbers are correct I *should* have a factory rebuilt ATE brake caliper for the Cavalier on the way. So when I'm back I should be able to get the ball rolling there. If it looks like the caliper was rebuilt back in the 90s as I'm kind of expecting, they'll both be sent off to Bigg Red to be given a good once over. Which I'm kind of inclined to do anyway in the interests of long term reliability.

In other news, a little while back I picked this up for not very much.

However I ran into an issue in that I totally failed to properly take note of the fact that the focus ring is a multiple thread screw when I dismantled it for cleaning (there was a bunch of mould on the inside of the lens). So the focus ended up way out of whack, resulting in the focal point when set to infinity being about 3' in front of the camera.

I've just had the first film from after I had hopefully fixed this problem back (well, the scans of it anyway - the actual negatives are currently around 3500 miles away).

Think I can call that fixed!

Sadly I can't remember what film that was!

This was Ektar 100 in the Konica AutoReflex T3, at a local car show a couple of weeks ago.

I did snap a few photos with the Ensign there too, haven't had that film back yet though.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:16 am

Apparently the new caliper has now arrived back home.  Sadly I'm currently 3,500 miles away from the car so it'll need to wait for attention!

Whether that caliper gets sent off along with the original one for inspection and any necessary rebuild work will depend on what it looks like.  I may well send them both away anyway for the sake of long term reliability anyway.  It's not as though I can start putting stuff back together properly until they're both present anyway.  It *looks* good in the photos on the eBay listing, but we all know how much that means.

Also on the subject of brakes, discs.  Am I correct in thinking that the wheel bearing races are pressed into the discs on these?  I've got a new pair of discs in the boot waiting to go on, but will get a bearing set ordered too if that's the case.  If I need to take everything apart anyway I'm inclined to just change the consumables involved to save me time and head off future failures before they have a chance to pop up.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:55 am

Ah, life in a US state with no vehicle inspections. Michigan in this case.

The other side didn't superficially look so bad until you realised that the inner and outer sills were *completely* missing.

This is not even *close* to the shonkiest thing I've seen on the road so far yet either, just a pretty typical example I came across in a parking lot. Being overtaken on the freeway by a pickup truck that's doing 90+ while visibly bending in the middle is somewhat unnerving.

Cars here literally get used until they can't function any more. Last time I was here there was a Ford Focus that was running around locally here with the entire front end held together by structural duct tape, zip ties and a windscreen made of perspex, having been in a significant enough shunt that all the airbags had deployed. It was clear that the left hand side of the car was a good few inches shorter than the right and the thing went down the road visibly crabbing to the left. That was just over five years ago. Saw it again today, still going.

Quite a different world here in some ways!

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:47 am

Today's rant brought to you by Ford. Specifically this bit of Ford.

I have developed an absolute seething hatred for this centre console since I first encountered it in 2015. Having not seen it for five years hasn't helped endear it to me either. The vehicle dates from 2014 I believe.

When I first saw this I assumed it was a rubber membrane keypad. That's what it looks like. Not the worst idea in something claiming to have off-road credentials (yeah right...), though I had doubts about how hard wearing it would be.

Nope. It's a touch sensitive panel. Which makes those contours they have moulded into it to make it nearly possible to find things by touch totally irrelevant, as even the lightest touch on any control is interpreted as a press. Made worse as pressing several "buttons" changes the operating mode of things requiring several inputs to get back to where you started. If you can even figure out what you did. It's completely impossible to operate without taking your eyes off the road.

So it has all the disadvantages of a touch screen UI, but without the flexibility of a screen.

What on earth were they thinking when they signed that nonsense off?

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:47 pm

Back home and trying to get caught up with things. While jetlagged to hell and back (yesterday was effectively a 32 hour day - got absolutely zero sleep on the flight - by the time I eventually fell into bed). Oh, and we had contractors arrive at 0830 this morning to start replacing our roof. Yeah, genius bit of programming on my part there. Though in fairness it's the date I was given and with the trouble we've had getting folks in I just took it.

Firstly I've confirmed that the new caliper for the Cavalier will be going off to be inspected and rebuilt as necessary with the one that came off the car.

Yes it's a factory remanufactured part - but as I kind of expected, that looks to have happened somewhere probably in the 1990s and it's sat somewhere less than entirely dry since.

Would probably be fine, but I figure if I'm getting one sorted I may as well just get the pair seen to. Less likely to come back to bite me then.

The other car related item waiting for me was this.

Which the eagle eyed of you might recognise as an Invacar wheel stud. A friend has offered to make me a few up to replace damaged ones, though it's a one off job given the time involved and obvious potential liability issues if they were to be offered as a more widely available part.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:28 pm

All righty...Go grab yourself a coffee because this is going to be a long one.

Those of you used to my regular updates may have noted that I've been quiet for a while. This was down initially to a distinct lack of energy after arriving back in the UK (jet lag can get in the sea please), being exacerbated by having major construction work starting on the house the day after we got home. Not the smartest move I've ever made there. Then ImgBB were having issues so I couldn't get the associated images to go with posts up - and then I'd fallen behind so I needed to find a chunk of time where I could sit down actually in front of my desktop PC (because I ain't trying to wrangle a post this length on my phone) and actually have the energy to try to get us caught up.

I'd really have liked to have a nice quiet week to get my poor body clock back onto something vaguely resembling a schedule aligned to GMT, but having the house look like this pretty much as soon as we were home had other ideas.

It's not immediately obvious there, but this work has involved:

[] All four sections of roof stripped back to bare rafters.
[] All felt and battens throughout replaced.
[] All soffit boards (all 90 metres of them!) replaced as they were totally rotten. Of course just to add to the fun the bottom of the box on the originals was asbestos so dealing with that added to the costs.
[] All four gable end rafters which were totally rotten replaced. Largely rotten because the previous owners decided that rather than replacing the soffits when they started to fail that no...just painting them would do. So it just helped trap *more* moisture in the roof structure. Having been here for eight years now finding things this doesn't surprise me in the slightest any more. It's just made all the more ridiculous by the fact that between the costs of the scaffolding, materials and labour they were about 75% of the way towards the cost of just having the fluffing things replaced properly anyway. Just makes you want to bash your head against a brick wall finding things like this sometimes.
[] All new gutters. They were warped and cracked all over the place and had never been properly fitted in the first place.
[] All new ridge tiles - including the one and a half which have been missing probably since the 90s.
[] A shedload more replacement tiles than either us or the contractors expected - aside from them being really brittle, the fact that the roof had bowed badly on the north facing aspect because the battens were largely missing had cracked a load of them.
[] Replacement Velux window above the stairs because it was utterly rotten and unbeknown to us had apparently been leaking for years.

We're sitting at somewhere around £31K of work at this point if my math is correct, and they're not finished yet. We're currently waiting on the last batch of ridge tiles to come in and for weather for them to get the ridge tiles that are already fitted elsewhere pointed. Hopefully will actually be finished this coming week...I'd really like it to be. The guys only need me for about 30 seconds at a time to answer questions or to provide drinking water etc, but it means you're basically unable to get stuck into anything because you need to be available at a moment's notice for the whole working day in case you're needed. It manages to turn into a black hole which consumes vast amounts of what could otherwise be useful time.

It has been interesting (in a nerdy sort of way) while the work has been ongoing though finding more random evidence of the involvement of the BBC in the construction of our house.

We already knew about this of course, but it's just interesting to see details like that popping up when the soffit boards were removed. Sadly that timber was utterly rotten at both ends so is long gone now.

So a lot of the afternoons of the first week were spent finally starting to properly put together two web pages for the Invacar. Using a suitable development machine of course because I'm me...

Still bugs me that the display on this thing always looks awful in photos...this is closer to how it actually looks in person, though obviously it's pin sharp in reality.

Contrast for an LCD panel from 1988 really is decent, and quite attractive with that deep blue colour.

I just find when I'm trying to get the bulk of text together for things like this having a setup where I have as few distractions as possible works best for me - so a single tasking OS, no internet connection and a decent keyboard make that a good option.

The main page itself is still a work in progress. While the text is basically done, given that it's covering an abridged history of Invacar Ltd, the government Invalid Vehicle Service, the decline of the scheme, the finding, resurrection of TPA and then the trials and tribulations of two going on three years on the road the page is a bit of a monster. So proof reading, tweaking, adding images, bookmarks etc is going to take a bit of time. I've got a friend helping me fact check it too as I don't trust myself to keep all the information on the history side of things straight in my head.

I decided quite early on though that the main page for the Invacar was always going to have an accompanying FAQ to stand alongside it. There are a lot of questions I get asked about these cars more or less every time I speak to someone in the general public, so it seemed to make sense to just try to address these on their own rather than requiring folks to go trawling through a page that's probably something in the region of 30K words long. This page I am pleased to report is now live over here. There are a few purposes behind having put that page together. One is to try to counter some of the urban myths and misunderstandings that are out there about these cars. It's also trying to address that fact that while there is quite a lot of information out there scattered across the internet, it's very fragmented. I am hoping that in due course I can turn my attention to writing out a slightly less abridged version of the history side of things as well, as it would just be too much to cram into a non dedicated page. The aim is to eventually have as much *useful* information on those vehicles packed into one collection of three or four interconnected pages as possible.

Also on the web page side of things if you've looked at the site before you may note that it looks slightly different. I'd had feedback from a few folks over the years that they found the white on black quite hard to read. While it's not something I've ever struggled with myself, it was something it was pretty quickly possible to tweak a bit. So I've removed the stark black background and pattern that's been in there since 1998 and replaced with with a slightly less obtrusive dark grey pattern to hopefully tame the contrast a little bit. Initial feedback suggests that this has helped quite a bit.

I do have plans in mind at some point to give the whole site a complete revamp and re-style. It's fulfilling a completely and totally different purpose to what I had envisioned when I originally put together v1.0 of my template back in a computing class in 1998/9, and even the current template really hasn't changed since 2002 when I realised that frames were a thing. I'd really like to introduce CSS to the template as well as that would make making minor tweaks to things site wide far less of a hassle, and would unlock possibilities such as being able to offer a light or dark theme to suit people's preferences without having to actually code two completely separate versions of the site. That however requires me to properly learn how to use CSS...which last time I attempted just wound up with me getting frustrated and giving up on the idea.

I do actually have some of the graphics and bits and pieces put together for what I'm for internal purposes referring to as V3.0 for the site, I just need to make them all work together properly. No, I will not be going for a modern flashy, flat looking thing either - the increasing tendency for UI design to seem to try to hide what are interactive elements (Tesco, I'm looking in particular at you with your self checkout kiosks, your UI is absolutely horrendously unclear) bugs me no end...and really isn't my style. No, my intention is to once it's finished to have the site present itself as a reasonably convincing emulation of a technical reference manual being viewed from within a Windows 3.1 application. I still don't know why 3D buttons had to go out of fashion...I did consider basing the theme around Amiga Workbench originally - but in fairness until you got to OS3.5 a stock Workbench installation was pretty ugly looking. RiscOS (which is probably my personal favourite) was another candidate - but that would be really hard to implement in a way that felt faithful given that it intentionally had a very minimalist UI, with the bare minimum of on screen clutter, a huge amount of functionality being locked behind fully context sensitive menus hidden behind the middle mouse button - kinda hard to implement on a web page - and equally completely and totally alien to anyone who's not familiar with the OS. No, a Windows 3.1 based theme will both seem pleasingly "retro," will be visually clear, and should be easy to comprehend for folks whether they have ever actually used the system in question or not. It will involve quite a lot of work though, so goodness only knows if or when this will ever happen.

In terms of fleet news...well there really hasn't been any! The Caddy is booked in for an MOT this coming Thursday...that's about it for my own fleet news.

Something did follow me home last weekend though.

Sadly just on loan for a few days. Though I must have nearly bought one of these cars about a dozen times, and every time I drive this one I remember why. I know from a purely practical standpoint they're not great...they're not fast, they're not great handling cars, they're noisy and the build quality is variable throughout but tends towards unacceptable. However they always just feel like charming old cars to me, and there's just something that is oh so right about sitting here.

I just find them enjoyable cars to drive. This one felt rather more relaxed as speed too once I actually noticed this switch.

I think this is the third time I've been out in this car and previously I'd managed to utterly fail to notice it had overdrive. Oops.

My "fee" for borrowing it for a few days was to investigate a few electrical gremlins.

[] Dead radio.
[] Dead rev counter.
[] Missing rubber grip on clutch pedal (replacement supplied).
[] No dash lighting.

The dash lighting took precisely five seconds to solve. Giving the panel lighting rheostat a bit of vigorous twiddling pretty much immediately restored operation of the circuit. Just about visible in daylight at the right angle.

At night it's more obvious that it's working.

Well, just about! Not exactly the brightest dash lighting, but it does the job.

Much cozier than anything modern.

Subsequently having spoken to the owner it sounds like the headlight switch itself may have been giving problems before - though I was completely unable to replicate the reported behavior. As we've got a replacement switch in the car I'll swap that out next time I see it just as a precaution. Headlights aren't one of those systems you want to be questioning whether will work reliably when you turn them on.

Clutch rubber pad replacement was exactly as simple as you would expect. Not even all that awkward, which given how deep and narrow the footwells are did surprise me.

The issue with the radio became pretty immediately apparent once I pulled the head unit out of the dash.

Yeah, not being attached to anything wouldn't help! Obviously hasn't ever been hooked up either.

The wiring tail in the car was for a standard ISO connector, whereas the socket on the head unit is a finer pitch.

Helpfully the fitting kit turned out to be stashed in the armrest storage compartment.

Which also gave me the opportunity to happen to this appalling mess.

Sadly I failed to grab a photo once it was tidied up. However once actually wired up, we had a working radio.

Something more period appropriate will be going in shortly, but this is now working at least.

While I was sorting the spaghetti behind there I discovered the lamp holder which should have been clipped into the indicator light for the rear window demister just floating around behind the panel.

Which I naturally returned to where it should live. So that can now be ticked off the list, even though it wasn't on there to start with.

Have to wonder how many years it is since that worked.

The rev counter is a little more tricky. Everything looks fine at the coil end of things, though it's spliced into the loom somewhere other than actually at the ground terminal of the coil. So a dodgy contact is still on the cards.

I figured I'd pull it out the dash...but the rev counter doesn't quite fit past the indicator stalk housing.

I literally needed about another 1/8"...so that was left alone for a couple of days.

Using the car I very quickly added another item to the to do list in the form of the mirrors. They were both loose on the doors and the glasses were loose in the units, meaning that the both wobbled around all over the shop and rattled endlessly. The sort of thing that would drive me around the twist in very short order.

Both of these issues were easily resolved though. The first simply by snugging up the screws holding the units onto the base, and second by replacing the foam pad behind the mirror glass which had decomposed.

The mirrors now no longer rattle, nor do they wobble - well, no more than you should expect in an MGB anyway.

As we had some heavy rain forecast I wanted to do some temporary patching over one of the tears in the sunroof (through which you could see straight through to the cabin).

The sunroof really needs to be replaced, but this will help keep the worst out. It's definitely reduced the amount of wind noise anyway. Shame as the roof was only replaced back in 2016, but has already shrunk and perished worse than the original one had.

A few days later and I was pretty much ready to hand the MGB back over to the owner. Just a couple of minor things left to do.

I wanted to look a little more deeply into the stereo wiring. I noticed while putting something in the boot that there were a set of probably early 80s pod speakers in there in addition to the recessed ones alongside the rear seat.

However I was only aware of having seen a single pair of speaker wires when I hooked up the stereo.

Hmm...speaker wire dangling out from under the rear seat. Yeah, that's always great for inspiring confidence.

A quick test quickly revealed that noise was indeed coming out of all four speakers. So someone has previously paired them together. Fair enough...have done that myself before in years gone by before head units with four outputs were readily and cheaply available. I wanted to take a closer look to see if it had been done behind the head unit or just daisy chained from the speakers.

Yeah...I had to go looking closer didn't I?

Which once I looked closer also revealed some truly high quality wiring connectors.

Which probably explains why the left channel was cutting out sometimes when you hit a bump.

There were other such wonders as a three way fused spur...to a ground connection and a permanent 12V feed just floating around with an uninsulated spade terminal right by the front of the heater box. A black wire of course just for extra giggles.

Eventually this lot was evicted from behind the centre console.

Which left the area looking like this.

Would have been tidier if I had inline connectors in stock but I'm sadly out of them just now.

Not a massive problem in this case though as there's plenty of dead space behind the centre console in this car and none of this is visible once it's tucked away where it lives.

There's no longer any visible spaghetti poking into the passenger footwell. Will call that good enough.

I tidied up the wiring to the passenger side interior light switch too...it was long enough to touch the floor, held up by one decomposed bit of tape and running through two very rusty screw terminals (it's the yellow to light blue wire in a couple of pictures above - then changing again to a purple wire a few inches out of shot). I shortened it to a more sensible length, replaced the two screw terminals with one Wago, and securely zip tied it to the heater control cable to keep it safely away from people's feet.

I suspect the speakers in the boot have just been connected directly to the speakers in the back of the car, so I'm leaving that alone for now. The sound quality is pretty dire so if a speaker upgrade is put on the cards in the future I'll see about unhooking the extras at that point. For now I'm leaving things be.

The rev counter was further investigated.

Nothing I could find amiss behind the panel, and I'm not sure what else to do at this point without having a known good tach head to try substituting the one in the car for. It might be repairable, but I wouldn't want to try without a replacement on hand in case I made it worse! There's not much else to test with this one - it's a current sensing tach, so all the coil current runs *through* the rev counter, so there's no way the signal can be lost...as any break in the circuit would result in us having no spark.

While I had the indicator switch apart to get the rev counter out I greased it up, which has put a stop to it making an absolute horrendous nails-on-blackboard squeaking noise when you went to signal left.

On a similar note to the issues with shrinkage of the sunroof, I notice that the door seals seem to be similarly afflicted, which may well be responsible for the somewhat horrific amounts of wind noise (even by the MGB standards).

These seals don't have a gap in them, they're a complete loop, so it's not possible to just shuffle it around and deal with a bigger gap somewhere less critical. It's tending to try to pull itself out of the door aperture at the top as well, so it's not really doing much by way of being a seal in several places.

Do feel better for having tidied up the spaghetti behind the stereo though...the moment I dug far enough in to see those taped connectors I knew action was needed!

I also did a little to tidy up that speaker wiring under the rear seat. It was just safely tucked out of the way rather than making major changes. This is as I suspect we may be revisiting some or all of the speakers at a later date, so it doesn't seem worth investing any significant time in wiring that would likely just be replaced.

I also took it out and gave it a decently brisk test run to stress test things to ensure we didn't have any issues with cooling, fuelling etc. No issues were found, car seemed happy. So it was fuelled up, given a quick going over with the vacuum cleaner, then dropped back off with its owner.

I definitely need to have an MGB on fleet at some point. I keep forgetting how much I enjoy driving them until I have another shot of one. No they're not exceptional in any way, they're just fun.

Fast forward to that evening, when in a slight change of pace I set about coaxing this clock mechanism back into the land of the living.

This is a Tamura mechanism and seems to be of good quality. The only issue was that the gearbox of the little 1rpm synchronous motor had seized up from lack of use. Once I was able to get into it and give it a highly technical wiggle it picked up and ran perfectly. The motor is a completely sealed unit, if it wasn't I would look to dismantle it to be cleaned and lubricated appropriately. However as it was running completely silent I don't think there's a huge lubrication issue there.

Unlike flip digit clocks the mechanism here is quite simple, with the motor simply pushing a lever to advance the digit once a minute - there's no continual tension on everything, which has the advantage of being completely silent.

The only casualty we had from the trip across the Atlantic was one of the wires to the neon which provided the illumination. A very simple problem to fix at least.

The whole unit was then reassembled and proven to be working fully.

Whole thing will be coming apart again soon for a good deep clean, I wanted to have it proven working before I spent the time doing that though.

Unfortunately this has now highlighted to me that my 60Hz supply well...isn't. It's gaining the best part of a minute an hour.

So will need to have a think about that. Will investigate whether there's any ability to fine tune the frequency on my supply, but doubt it. Replacing the motor is a non starter as it's flipping tiny compared to any 1rpm synchronous motors I've been able to find so far.

Guess I could swap it out for a tiny stepper motor run off an Arduino or similar as the timing there should be more than precise enough...though that seems like overkill. Putting together my own 60Hz supply would be easier.

Bit irked that this inverter supply is so far off frequency wise...with all electronic control it's not hard to get a stable frequency, and it wasn't cheap.

Few days later I gave the unit itself a decent clean - original plan had been to totally strip it down, but it turns out that's quite an involved task as a lot of the wiring was done it seems after the components were fitted to the case.

Of course it rewarded me by deciding to play up.

First failure was the neon for the display illumination packing in. Somewhat to my surprise this turned out to be the neon itself that had died for no readily explicable reason. I didn't have another NE2 handy...so an NE2G was pressed in...same idea but with an argon/mercury gas fill and a green phosphor. It's a tiny little cold cathode fluorescent lamp. Actually looks quite smart.

They don't tend to last very well though as the phosphor degrades - though we'll see. I am running this one very conservatively.

The radio then decided to pack in...going silent but returning if the case was tapped. Classic dry solder joint behaviour. Let's go digging.

Some quality soldering in here.

However with anything that looked slightly suspect reflowed, it refused to work at all once back together.

Oh well, I'll need to go after it tomorrow with the multimeter then. Helpfully I do have the schematic as it was provided on a sticker on the base.

A little on the tiny side though. Nothing a few minutes and a scanner can't fix however.

We do seem to still have some life as there's a very faint pop from the speaker when you turn the radio on, so the signal stages will be where I start after the basic supply voltage checks. That requires me to go and retrieve the meter from the garage where I left it when working on the MG though, and it's tipping it down outside right now!

I think however that (finally) brings us up to date...Hopefully I can stay there again as this update took forever to duct tape together!

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:39 pm

It's MOT time for the Caddy tomorrow so I gave it a quick clean today. I always try to turn up with my cars in a reasonably presentable state.

Still doesn't scrub up bad for a 20 year old van.

Also took the wire wheel to the crusty looking bit on the sills, which looked like this after I'd blasted the loose crud off with the pressure washer.

Then after this was hit with the wire wheel.

Seems perfectly solid. I've just thrown some Vactan and (not quite the right shade) silver paint on it for now.

It's better than crusty rusty anyway. Then I went round and checked all the obvious stuff like lights, making sure the washers weren't about to run out of water, stuff like that.

Then we'll just have to wait and see...first time I've put this through a test so will be a little nerve wracking.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:18 pm

Given that my prep work, on a 20 year old van consisted entirely of checking lights etc and a really quick clean I'll take that!

Tester was complimentary of the overall condition I thought.

Blew 0.2 m-1 on the smoke test, a definite improvement on the 0.92 from last year. Always nice to see hard numbers to show improvements you've made.

The brake line will be absolutely fine with a bit of clean up and some rust protection applied. The factory coating is just flaking off a bit near the end.

So no drama which is always a relief.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:50 pm

Not been much going on here...because...well not much has been going on here with the cars. The Caddy has been continuing to just be An Car, though I'm sure the CV joints which have always tended to click a bit on full lock have started to get louder lately. I may need to actually do something about that sooner than later - I've had a CV joint explode on me once before and it's not an experience I wish to repeat.

The van and TPA just haven't been out much. It's been cold and wet and miserable in typically English early winter fashion. Given the tendency for Mercedes vans of this vintage to dissolve I tend to try to avoid driving that too much when it's wet, and TPA stays off the road in such conditions mainly because the windscreen demister is absolutely hopeless.

Today though the weather was far too nice not to take TPA out for a run to conduct the day's errands.

Not really expecting her to be out all that much now until the spring, but if we get crisp days like today and I can actually get out of the driveway (we tend to get buried parking wise because we're right next to a school) I'll of course take the opportunity.

The low sun did a really good job of demonstrating to me though that I really needed to clean the windscreen so that was first on the to do list when I got home. Really need to do the inside of the one on the Caddy too as it's got a horrible hazy film on it despite being cleaned not long ago.

Really getting utterly and completely sick of this sort of fliers being left on our cars.

Two of these on all three cars out there when I got back from walking the dog today. Seriously, just go away! There's the third mob who have left stuff on at least one of the cars this week. Maybe I should electrify the windscreen wipers...

I did take the van out for a half hour run as well just to keep things free and get it warmed through. Man I'd stopped realising quite HOW harsh and fidgety the ride in the Caddy is. Really is the one thing which lets it down. It's never a good sign when you go out in a commercial vehicle whose design dates from the 70s and it feels like you're floating along in a DS...

There's very much no room at the inn here just now, with me already overspilling the available driveway spaces by 1 leaving the Cavalier parked on what used to be lawn. The Cavalier is also planned out to be the main project for the start of next year. If I were to buy another car I would most likely end up being murdered with dull spoons by the rest of the family (the neighbours across the street would probably help) too.

Um...So precisely WHY have I just sent an email inquiring about viewing another car then?

Simple - Because it's a car that's on The List and is basically extinct, so if I don't at least investigate it I'll always second guess if I made the right call.

Life, why do you be like this?

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:48 pm

Initially I thought the seller wasn't going to respond, though checking my spam folder it turned out they had within the hour. Thanks GMail.

So all being well I'll be viewing it on Saturday. Overall impression so far is "Rough round the edges." Ideally needs paint, and I want to take a good look at the underside as the MOT history shows there's been some welding done (no surprise on a car in its mid 30s) so I want to see to what standard. Sounds like a suspension bush refresh and a decent set of tyres probably wouldn't go amiss.

However it seems a reasonable base to work with unless the rust is worse than expected. There are a few model specific bits of interior trim which would be nigh impossible to find replacements for which all look fine thankfully.

This is a car I've had before, albeit very briefly, a long while ago but it made a big impression on me at the time.

Watch this space I guess. Still not quite sure if I'll class the car being in better or worse shape than expected as the luckier outcome yet!

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:50 pm

So this morning started out with a lift over towards Oxford provided by a friend. Never been in a Jag XF before.

Pleasant enough - though unsurprisingly has the usual modern car vices of too hard seats and too stiff suspension for my liking.

Fast forward a couple of hours: Oops. I may have done something very silly.

Well I've just A - Made a load of work for myself. B - Ensured my imminent demise. C - Made a load of work for myself. Though a little background on the WHY I have done this is probably needed for some of you.

Back between in 2001 and late 2005 I had a Saturday job at a little independent used car dealer out in the middle of nowhere in Aberdeenshire. I quite often found myself pursuing their trade ins which they deemed to old to be worth cleaning up to sell themselves. Which I used to be welcome to basically for scrap value - which in 2003 meant about 30p.

I got a few pretty good bargains I reckoned.

This Renault 11TC was £125 I think.

Indeed was my first encounter with a French car I think.

Sailed though the MOT and I got a decent year's motoring out of it. I really liked it, went really well for a 1.2 and despite being a very low trim level was really comfy. I only really sold it on because it turned out that this straddled the line between the pre and post facelift car and seemed to have been assembled from whatever they found laying around the factory floor. A lot of things didn't even vaguely match what either the phase 1 or 2 cars should have had. This was before there were nearly as many enthusiast groups and such around on the internet so it made finding anything an utter nightmare.

Plus by then it had done the main thing I wanted it to, which was keep the Metro out of the worst of the winter.

My first Saab was £60.

Don't get too excited. This was very much the good side, the other one had a huge poor accident repair on which had been painted with what appeared to be red telephone box paint. It was also absolutely rotten around the driveshaft tunnels and boot floor was basically a lot of air held together by some vaguely Saab shaped rust. The gearbox had serious issues (80% of the time getting from first to second involved manually switching to first and back to second, at which point second would be engaged with a sledgehammer) and the engine hadn't had an oil change in about ten years and made some truly interesting noises. This was bought as a "run it on nothing unnecessary till the MOT runs out" basis. It did then yield a good number of useful spares to keep others on the road.

The front wheel looks odd in that photo because I was in the middle of replacing the wheel bearing so things are just sitting there - which I think was about the only thing beyond a service I really did to it. Think I maybe changed the thermostat.

It basically expired about a week before the MOT ran out when a missing manhole cover in Aberdeen ripped out the lower nearside ball joint.

There was a free Astra 1.3 Merit (in beige) which I don't think I have a photo of, and a £20 Proton 1.5GL which I basically did my last learning how to do driving test relevant things like reversing around a corner on a local private road (we literally had a mostly paved mile plus long farm road 100 yards from the house which I was allowed to use with permission from the land owner).

However probably my favourite of all the random stuff that followed me home was this.

Reg number was E100MSE.

Which cost me either £20 or £60, I can't remember. It had a couple of days MOT left, so shortly after I got it home my father took it down to the local car guy in the nearest village to see what it might need for a test.

Sadly it was condemned as the rear suspension arms were rotten. Bearing in mind the car was worth...well...I'd just paid that for it it wasn't worth repairing. Now I'd have kept it around just as a lounge to listen to my music on the epic sound system in - but as my father was the one making the calls because I was at college, it turned out that I never saw the car again. I drove it about 3 miles in total I think. Which also means that the above is the only photo I have of it save for a horribly grainy underexposed one of the interior.

We were always a family who tended to forgive and forget, but that was one thing which I really did hold a grudge about for many years, just saying to bin it without even consulting me.

I always vowed that one day I'd properly own another one.

Fast forward to ~2010 when I was more a master of my own fate and had some usable disposable income, they'd basically gone extinct. So I stopped looking.

Until someone in a Telegram chat posted a link to the C&C classified as for this a couple of days ago.

Is was clearly somewhat scruffy, the photos weren't great but the ad sounded like it was written by someone who was into cars. Plus it was actually written in real English which in 2022 feels like a real rarity.

Initially I sat firmly on the "I absolutely do not need another project" idea. However having then looked up how many were left and realising it was pretty local I decided it had to be worth a look. If I didn't I'd forever question if I'd made the right call, and am not expecting to find another pop up really based on these numbers...

This is despite the fact that the car I'd already got on my driveway for the spring 2023 project was parked on what used to be my front lawn because I'm already out of space. So if I bought it something would absolutely need to move on - one in, one out and it isn't optional.

So I sent a message to the seller. What followed was an entirely pleasant E-mail conversation back and forth completely out of character with any experience buying or selling a car to the general public that I've had in the last ten years. It was arranged that I'd pop over this weekend to have a look at it.

I was going into this with the expectation of finding it to be quite rotten on account of a somewhat colourful MOT history, and knowing there were a bunch of little other things off the bat in need of sorting. So my expectation was likely to view it with an open mind, but most likely walking away happy in the knowledge I'd checked it out.

I got there and found the car...pretty much exactly as described. I didn't obviously have it up on a ramp and there's only so much you can do trying to lay on the ground on an active public road, but while there have been some patches here and there, it looks by and large pretty clean. I think the suspension arms (which wrote my original one off) have been replaced as they look far newer than the rest of the car.  

The only rust I immediately found which will want attention sooner than later is some on the inner wings where some seam sealant has blown out. The outer wings bolt on and I don't think it will be the end of the world to sort once they're off. Might actually be far enough away from the strut tops because of how far back they're set not to be an MOT issue - but it wants sorting either way.

Interior was in decent shape, all the leather desperately wants drowning in leather feed, but everything's there and looks in decent shape. Bit of obvious wear here and there not no splits I've noticed yet. Especially glad the Monaco specific door cappings are okay as they'd be an absolute nightmare to find replacements for I imagine.

We had a quick trundle around the estate and the car seemed to drive fine enough. There's a drop-linky sort of rattle from the offside front and it's got the usual horribly baggy 80s Renault gear change that needs it's bushings replaced, but from the driver's seat that was about it. Temperature gauge sits higher than I'd like, but I'm positive I've seen that on these before, and the highly technical "how long can I hold onto the hoses for?" Test and "Can I smell coolant?" Tests say it's running at a perfectly sane temperature. Most importantly though the gauge got to that spot then stayed steadily there rather than jumping around all over the shop.  

I was prepared for the brakes to be in a bit of a sorry state given she's only done a few hundred miles in the last five years, but they actually seem absolutely fine.

Despite having basically told myself it was going to be too much of a project before we got there, I had to admit it was actually a pretty good candidate for a rolling project to tinker with and fettle. To be absolutely honest with myself, much more in line with my abilities than some of the stuff on the Cavalier. Particularly that one bit of welding on the offside inner sill which I would almost definitely wind up needing to get someone in to do despite trying to be optimistic. Chassis leg I reckon I can manage, but the sill is a bit more complicated.  

So a deal was done and we headed for home.

No petrol station shot as the seller had already very kindly filled it up for us! So have one in a random Waitrose car park instead where we stopped for a comfort break (after negotiating an absolute maze of a car park).

Reversing into that space was my first moment of "Oooh yeah, these are not small cars are they?"

It's always a little unnerving driving a car back when you've bought it - especially a 34 year old French barge which even when it was new had something of a reputation for flaky electronics. Double that when it's barely turned a wheel in the last five years. Oh, the temperature gauge showing about 3/4 on the gauge didn't exactly help my nerves either even though I'm 99% sure the temperature is actually absolutely fine.

However she wafted the 40 miles or so home without missing a beat and in utter comfort.

Did I mention, comfort?

I kind of expected that my 19 year old memory of the levels of comfort were very rose tinted. Nope, I was spot on. These are still the most comfortable seats of any car I've ever sat in. The XJ-S wasn't all that far off to be fair, but this definitely has the edge. Plus is a LOT roomier. For all the Jag was the size of a small country, the cabin really wasn't that big.

Unsurprisingly, by this point I'd compiled a bit of an issue list.

First and foremost...That tailpipe. Initially I thought someone had stuck a silly rear exhaust section on. I recall these being annoyingly expensive even back in the early 00s, so that wouldn't have surprised me. However a bit of quick investigation...

Figured out it was just a trim...so that's now gone. Much better.

She needs a clean. Like really, really needs a good deep clean.

Exactly as per the advert, the paint does indeed need help in several areas. There's some pretty epic clear coat peel.

Plus a nasty scrape running a good portion of the way along the driver's side.

The passenger's door catch clearly needs adjustment as it requires an unreasonably heavy slam to latch fully.

The LCD display for the clock/stereo/outside temperature display clearly needs either a cleaned zebra strip or replacement ribbon cable.

The warning light for the washer fluid level is lit...

...Though that may actually just need the fluid topping up. I haven't had time to check yet.

Heater blower is a bit squeaky.  

Nearside front door speaker grill likes to eject itself from the door when you close it.

Few lamps out in the dash/switches, but nowhere near as many as I expected to be honest.

Does look good at night.

I do remember thinking that the style of lights they used on the central cluster in the dash with the brightly lit symbol on a dimmer field looked really smart. Still do.

Though speaking of the dash, it's hard not to mention this strangeness which wouldn't have been out of place in a Citroen to be honest.

I haven't tried the windows yet, nor the sunroof - which I didn't really notice until we were underway - that will definitely not be getting touched until spring!

Central locking does try to work, though it doesn't quite manage to actually get all the doors locked. Sure a clean and grease of things will sort that. I do only have one set of keys (and no remote sadly), which I'll need to resolve sooner than later - though it remains to be seen how much of a pain that weird door key is to get cut.

Overall, seems a reasonably solid base to work from. Hopefully will get a bit more of a chance to look at it further in the daylight tomorrow.

Did it make *sense* to buy? Probably not. However I have literally been after one for the last 19 years - so logic can take a back seat for a change. This is a car I've wanted forever.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:19 pm

Didn't have quite as productive a day today as I'd hoped. Apparently I didn't budget my energy yesterday quite as well as I thought I had, so got kicked in the behind this morning and it wasn't until the early afternoon that I was really mentally firing on all cylinders again. Which is particularly annoying as I'd really hoped to get along to the last Milton Keynes Classic Car Club breakfast meet of the year with the R25, moss and all.

I always find it slightly surprising when people go and spend major amounts of money resurrecting a vehicle...

Then there's another one a couple of months later for another £800 of work...Yet then they skimp on things like you know...Replacing the tyres.

This is the newest one on the car. From 2003.

They're all budget brands, and two of them appear to be pre-2000. Can't say I'm surprised as it's something I see all the time, but it's just something which doesn't compute to my brain. I'm also of the opinion that tyre condition is one area that the MOT is way, way too lenient.

Suffice to say a full new set of tyres will be getting ordered tomorrow and hopefully will be on the car by mid week.

A slightly worrying thing from the driver's seat is the fact that the temperature gauge sits roughly here under normal driving.

Moving around pretty much exactly as you would expect on a car with a real gauge rather than the nonsense a lot of moderns are fitted with when traffic etc, but with no signs of distress that I'd tend to expect if we were near enough brushing the red. I got the IR thermometer out today and confirmed that it's sitting somewhere around 90C (the actual head even on the exhaust side is around 120C), which is about what I'd expect to see. Even when pulling off the road and immediately checking it, the hoses are uncomfortable to touch, but not burning so and there's no excess pressure in the system. We'll see if a new sender sorts that out. Though I'm sure I do vaguely remember this being a somewhat common issue.

In an effort to extinguish the washer fluid level warning light I went to put some screenwash in - oh look, it's full.

So that will be a problem with the level sensor then. Unfortunately it's not a simple matter of unplugging it as both the washer motor and level sensor use a combined connector - curse you Renault!

I have a sneaking suspicion given how long this car sat around off the road (and that the tank appears to just be filled with water) that the reservoir will be somewhat full of slime and the float is probably just stuck to the bottom of the tank. I'll really need to get it out of the car to investigate though as it's pretty much impossible to even look down the neck of it in situ. I need to delve into the scuttle anyway to clean and lubricate the heater blower motor which is a little squeaky anyway so may as well hit both of these jobs at the same time.

The engine bay is filthy. Though astonishingly free of bodges for a car of this age. The only obvious thing I've found is an aftermarket cooling fan having been fitted and the wiring for that being a little untidy (though perfectly serviceable). I am very looking forward to cleaning this though.

It always felt to me like that manifold should have a heat shield on it, though I've never actually seen one on any of these. Possibly a shroud for the warm air intake for the carb fed variants maybe?

This pretty much confirms my suspicions that while this car had a good couple of grand spent on it back in 2017 it's never had a service since.

That filter's been on there a day or two. The oil's not disgusting but is definitely dirtier than I like to see in my engines. I'll be ordering in a service kit tomorrow.

Speaking of cleaning things, the coolant expansion tank is absolutely foul inside. The actual coolant I can see looks nice and clear, but the tank is grim. I think this was used on a whole bunch of models, so replacing it (so I can actually see the coolant level without having to remove the cap - you currently can't) might wind up being the easier option to sort this mess out.

This brings us to the vicinity of the worst of the corrosion I've found (so far!) on the inner wings.

Plus a little hole down here on the offside.

Given the lack of "stuff" around these areas and that the outer wings are bolted on I don't think getting these bits properly sorted should be too massive a headache.

It's always nice on cars like this when you find a set of factory mats still present, as aftermarket ones never really fit as well. I don't think these are original to the car as I think they would have been a lighter colour - though I'm quite prepared to be proven wrong there.

There are a few bits of glass floating around the interior as she's obviously had the passenger window smashed at some point. Kind of supports my belief that she's spent a fair time either sitting around in a city or a storage yard somewhere.

Given we've established this was a Northampton registered car, I have to wonder if these are actually still the original dealer plates.

Given the format of the phone number they must date pretty early from during the car's life.

The sticker in the rear window on the other hand has fared rather less well!

One nice feature I was glad to see what still there was the original stereo - these were rather special by the standards of the time and were very much part of the look of the dash.

Sadly I've not been able to get any audio out of this save for a soft thump when it's powered on - though that may well be tied in to the issues we have with the digital display as if there's a problem with the comms to that panel which might make it think a button is being permanently held down it could lock the system up. Failing that I'll need to do some further digging. This wasn't just a flashy looking bit of bling either, the stereo in these cars sounded really good, especially by the standards of the time. I remember being really impressed with it back when I had my previous one in 2003, and my home hi-fi wasn't exactly poor then either.

There are quite a lot of nice touches on this car, one of which I'd forgotten about until noticing it this afternoon is the mini-sun visor in the middle.

Which does away with the usual gap you get between the left and right ones around the mirror.

There are (really rather large) door pockets hidden away under the arm rests, which you could be forgiven for missing entirely if you didn't know they were there. A nice way of reducing visual clutter, and keeping stuff out of the way of prying eyes. I do have to wonder if this is where the idea for the ones in the Series 2 Xantias came from as they're very similar...

I am in the market for a couple of parts. Firstly, an offside tail light as this one has a crack in and has a small ecosystem merrily growing inside which is less than ideal.

I'll clean it out and seal the crack up, but it will want to be replaced long term.

Additionally one of the prongs that holds the cap onto the driver's door driver's side electric window switch is broken so the cap falls off. There was a spare in the car but it turns out to be for the passenger window switch, and they have differently keyed connectors. I'm sure the switches are actually identical and it's purely to aid in assembly (as the switches are visually identical), so I could just hack away the extra bit of plastic if it came to it.

Interestingly the boot was hiding a box full of a set of wheel trims...which while for a French car, not *this* French car. If anyone with a BX wants these, drop me a PM.

Few scuffs around the edges of a couple but they could absolutely be cleaned up.

I went to pick up to dispose of what I thought was an empty plastic bag sitting down by the handbrake only to discover there was actually something in it.

Keys! Most importantly a spare door key as I was expecting getting hold of one of those to be a right war as they're such an odd type.

Also present was a key blade for fitting to a remote fob...and two of said fobs...one in decent shape, one rather ratty (this key isn't for this car by the way which is why I've not bothered keeping the bitting of the actual key hidden at all).

My theory was that the one that was falling apart was for this car, and the other one was from a scrapper intended to donate the case. The innards of both remotes worked with a fresh set of batteries, but sadly neither locks or unlocks the car. Shame, but it was being a bit optimistic. As I understand it these remotes are paired to the car at the factory and there's no way to sync a different one with the car after the fact. So unless I could get one coded to the car from Renault (which I really rather doubt at this point) I'm probably out of luck there.

Does mean I've been able to assemble a remote style key for the car though, so I can use that instead of the "backup" style one shown to the left below. This is a good deal less fiddly to get into the ignition it has to be said.

Ran out of daylight and energy by that point though, so that's where we draw to a close for today. Tomorrow I'll get the necessary items for a service in and a set of fresh tyres ordered up. If time permits I'll start cleaning it, but I suspect the three and a half minutes of usable daylight we have at this time of year will run out before I get that far.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:12 pm

Sweet, the stereo works!

Well. Sort of.

The tape deck does anyway - which was probably the most important bit. Radio appears to be dead.

Neither the upper control panel or steering column controls do anything. So the radio *may* actually work, but this system as I recall has muting if off station, and the seek controls are on the upper control panel, not duplicated on the head unit itself so I can't currently try to tune into anything or switch bands.

Could it really be as simple as a dodgy connection or someone not having plugged things back in (I have an invoice for the 12V outlet having been rewired, so this will have been out to access that)?

Not holding my breath, but would be a nice surprise if so.

Also, yes it still sounds bloody decent, even on the original speakers, must have been absolutely epic back in the late 80s.

Had a phone call this morning to say that the tyres had arrived so hopefully will get those fitted tomorrow morning. Will feel a lot more comfortable driving the car once I'm not driving on tyres old enough to have their own driving license...

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:10 pm

Before:

During:

After:

Much better.

Definitely feels more secure on the road and the ride is a little more compliant.

Had a bit of a nosey around while it was jacked up. No particular horrors to be found under here. Drop links are definitely a bit baggy I think based on how much I can move them by hand.

Rear similarly held nothing scary - though it looks like we'll be needing to revisit the exhaust at some point based on seeing exhaust bandage peeking out just forward of the rear silencer.

Suffice to say given how complex the routing of the system on this is that I won't be using a £50 eBay special system on this. Trying to make one of those fit caused me enough swearing on the van, never mind when I've got about an inch of free space to play with.

This will definitely need sorting properly though.

We did spot one bit of grot on the underside that I missed when looking at the car, though in fairness I'm not massively surprised. I was concentrating mainly on the sills, areas around suspension and subframe mounts and the like. The rest got a pretty quick glance over while I was trying not to get run over by passing traffic.

Not the end of the world. Shouldn't be too hard to sort. I'd say someone has damaged that area in the past by jacking the car there from the looks of it. The other side is spotless in the same area.

I think we actually had a full compliment of the relevant warning lights present at one point this evening for the first time.

Today was the first time I've seen the engine management light appear on startup (which had been taped over on my last 25). I'm not 100% sure, but we *may* still be missing the coolant temperature warning light - not absolutely sure on that.

I've had a bit more of a play with the stereo and I think we're at a decent starting point. We definitely have life from all six speakers and they all seem healthy. Which given they're the originals is quite impressive.

What's even more surprising is that despite their very normal looking construction, even at ear bleedingly and floor shaking high volume levels there's still no breakup or apparent distortion. I dread to think what the unit price of these speakers must have been. I really should look to see if they're built into any sort of chamber in the doors etc to help tune things, as this really does blow any other factory system from the era I've come across clear out the water.

Not to say we don't have issues, we do. Most obviously (aside from the non functional external controls already mentioned) is that there is quite a lot of whine on the tape input. Which I'm guessing from the sound of it is coming from the cassette deck motor, so it's suppression components aren't up to scratch after this many years. That may be as simple as replacing a capacitor or two, though if it doesn't break anything else (like confusing the auto reverse system) just disconnecting the motor may actually be a simple solution there, doing away with the inevitable mechanical noise as well, as I'll only be using this as an input from a modern source. The actual mechanism doesn't need to physically run. Will have a think about that one a little further down the line. I think the output level may be a little low, but the tape heads look absolutely filthy so I'm going to get those cleaned before I make a judgement there. This may even kill two birds with one stone, as I may just have the volume cranked up way higher than normal so I'm just picking up on what would be normal background noise levels otherwise. Not sure when I'll have time to do much more with that than to clean the heads as I suspect the unit as a whole isn't exactly service friendly. Plus I really don't want to break it!

A replacement for the cracked tail light is now on the way courtesy of eBay, likewise a new power window switch to replace the one in the driver's door which the top keeps falling off of. Little details but ones it will be nice to get ticked off.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:55 pm

Not been a huge amount going on. We've got a guest staying this weekend so it's mostly been a mad dash to get the house properly tidied up.

I did find time to swap out all the headlight bulbs though, they were definitely all well past it and now seem far brighter.

I also grabbed something else today which I think is a pretty good indication of my intention for this to stick around on fleet long term.

Given this car predates modern security measures and that the rarity factor means that whatever any payout from an insurer might be I'm unlikely to find another one it just seemed sensible. Would have preferred an actual Disclock but nowhere locally stock them in anything but the smallest size which won't fit, so we'll make do with this. May upgrade it at a later date. To be fair it is mainly as a visual deterrent to some undesirable who might be looking for a quick joyride than anything else. If a properly organised car thief wants something you've got it may as well already be gone.

Most other cars on fleet have either fallen under "has sufficient inherent security, hidden features I've added, or meh it's insured." Well aside from TPA, though she lives in the garage blocked in by two other cars so it's less of a worry there. Really should get a wheel clamp before we go on any more overnight trips away I think though.

I spotted that in addition to the original dealer plates that there's also an original window sticker (just about!) still present too.

Sadly that's had it though and will be getting removed shortly as it's turned to powder and more of it keeps landing on the back seat every time I close the boot.

Been a day of incessant phone pinging to the point at which I just set it and my watch to completely silent - I posted yesterday evening on Twitter about this latest arrival and appear to have discovered that large French barges are popular. I think the most attention any of my prior posts have got was something around 50 likes or so, probably most of whom I knew.

548 and still counting...Never expected it to be something so many people would be interested in.