That car-less feeling!

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

That car-less feeling!

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:16 pm

Graaargh...I hate not having a car!

...okay, I'll rephrase that...I hate not having a MOBILE car!

...okay...okay...I'll re-rephrase that...I hate not having a ROADWORTHY car!

I actually have five of the suckers at the moment, and they're all broke!

1986 Saab 900 - Exhaust parted company with the car a couple of weeks back, need to wait until things quiet down at work enough so that I can take a day off to get it fixed...can't get in on a Saturday until the end of March...and garages in the city want to charge me more than the car's worth to sort it. Annoying thing is that it drives better with the rear half removed than it did before...and it is kinda fun (does a very passable Spitfire impression at about 4000rpm)...don't think driving through Aberdeen with it would be wise though...think the guys with the blue flashing lights on top of their cars might take exception to it!

1991 Skoda Rapid 135 RiC: Presently in hibernation in a friend's garage. Needs brakes overhauled, welding done, kingpins maybe replaced (that'll be fun...), and MAYBE the clutch and release bearing replaced because they've made a wierd noise ever since I bought it. If that was done the whole engine might just get changed for a 130GL motor with 26K on the clock (Rapid's got 68K), as I know that it's a better performing engine, and gets around the lambda sensor problem I'm otherwise facing.

1989 Saab 900i Auto: Making me feel guilty...sitting there and looking all forlorn with a flat tyre and half an exhaust missing (removed in an attempt to sort the other 900s, before I realised it has a later style and as a result the tailpipe is two inches shorter...nice design Saab...). Also requires half its front end welding back together unfortunately...real shame as it's the nicest driving 900 I've ever had a shot of! Starting to seriously doubt whether it'll ever see the road again...

1988 Skoda 130GL: Well and truly defunct following a fight with a gas tanker at 50mph a few years ago. Still runs though! Engine maybe getting transplanted to Rapid 135 shortly...

1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TDi: Freebie! Needs a suspension linkage replaced and a proper set of tyres on it...other than that it's roadworthy! Hmm...might be quicker to sort that (thing's a tenner from Citroen) than the Saab at this rate! Downside of that is that I'd have to get real insurance for it rather than hiding on my cheapie classics policy at the moment.

I want my Saab fixed...want my Skoda fixed...miss driving that...really miss my Niva...and want that Riva that's on eBay right now...waaaa!

Okay...rant over...back to scribbling in the sketchpad and trying to work out why Linux insists on throwing itself into a kernel panic every time I try to load it on the other PC.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:21 pm

Because it's Linux!

Seriously though. Panics usually mean duff memory.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:37 pm

Hehe, good answer! So far I've discounted that (same memory works perfectly happily with the same distro in this machine, and the memory from this machine doesn't stop the panic in that one) it's not liking a bit of hardware for some reason. I'm not going to faff around too much further with it, it's one of those motherboards with onboard everything, and I've got about five more machines tucked away at my parents that will do the job just as well. This is a second machine it's being put on just for me to have a poke around with. Last time I touched Linux was a version of Red Hat in 1999. Ubuntu looks rather more user friendly and generally less daunting than that did!

Don't suppose anyone here's ever changed the kingpins on a Skoda Rapid/Estelle have they? How hard is it?
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:40 pm

Seeing as it's basically a Hillman Imp on which I have changed the kingpins it's fairly easy.

Does it have welch (sp) washers? They're a bit tricky to get just right.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:36 pm

Not so sure about the spacers, though looking at the Haynes diagram (would post were it not for copyright issues) there seem to be dozens of washers and the like all over the thing. I might attack one of the ones on the 130GL just to see how hard it is to get apart (and reassemble!).

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:46 pm

Welch (sp) washers go above and below the kingpin in the carrier to seal it from the elements.

They're a bit like core plugs.

BaZBaZ

Post by BaZBaZ » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:11 pm

UK Copyright law:- you can post Stuff for Technical Reasons or 'Study'/Research Purposes, provided "Acknowledgement Is Made To The Source(s)", provided its not for Commercial or Business Use, i.e. 'Fair Dealing', is ok.

BaZBaZ

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:22 pm

? :?

BaZBaZ

Post by BaZBaZ » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:55 am

... 8) ...

...Can !! ... :P ...

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:24 pm

Sure I remember reading something like that when I was in university...so on the basis of that, will post it. Either way I somewhat doubt that the publishers would batter my door down for the sake of one diagram from a 12 year old manual...

This is the setup I have to attempt to make sense of:

(Source: P8.6 of Haynes Skoda Estelle owners manual 1996 edition)

Look familiar to someone who's worked on an Imp before, GB?

Need to get the brake capipers off first - remember that the offside one is responsible for me not having a 13mm (might have been 11mm...was a while ago...) socket handy at the moment - those bolts are TIGHT. That said...I guess you'd want the bolts holding the brakes on to be!

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:30 pm

It's remarkably similar. You don't have welch (sp) washers though. In the Imp the kingpin floats in the knuckle.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:21 pm

Well that should simplify things a bit I hope...

In other car news, I've found someone with the middle exhaust section I need for the Saab, and shall be acquiring an angle grinder in the morning to assist me in removing the remaining foot or so of the current middle pipe. This is a method I have successfully used in the past, so will give a shot again. Basically cut a slot in the outer pipe (which is the one I want to get off) then use a substantial screwdriver and a 4 lb lump hammer to "peel" it off. ...technically I could probably do that with a hacksaw too...but that involves a lot more work, and the larger gap left by the grinder makes it easier. This is the only option I've got open to me at the moment as I don't have any way to get enough heat on it to separate it in the usual manner...and it ain't going to a garage this month (my bank balance dictates that).

While that approach may sound odd (and yes you DO have to be careful not to cut right through the exhaust), this is how I've got three or four off in the past...just by scrounging a loan of someone else's grinder in the past rather than buying one!

At least once the Saab's fixed, I can get to the dealer to get the linkage I need for the Citroen, and to the garage to visit my poor forgotten Skoda!

crb247
Diamond
Diamond

Post by crb247 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:41 am

As for your linux problem have you tried another distro on it or a live CD... I find puppy linux to run great as a live CD and Installs on almost any machine. I throw it at even with only 128MB of ram Including this old p2 dell lappy,

I used to run Ubuntu on my big machine but switched to fedora back at version 5 and am now running fedora 8 Dual booted with winblows XP PRO (for the wife). Kernel panic can also be caused by an invalid option being passed by the GRUB loader at boot as well as fluffy ram or incorrect ram. ie: PC100 vs PC 133 vs DDR etc..... You can look up the motherboard specs online for correct ram info.

Puppy site http://www.puppylinux.org/

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:08 pm

It lives!

Finally managed to capture my flatmate for long enough to lend me his welding skills to reattach the front silencer to the downpipe, then spent half an hour wrestling the mid and rear sections off his 900 which died due to terminal rust about a year ago into place.

Still need to get the manifold re-studded, and need to seal a tiny hole at the top of the join where he couldn't get to with the welder - but it's safe to say that my Saab sounds an awful lot more healthy now!

Goes better too considerably better - guess the original system must have been rather more restrictive than I thought.

So nice to have my own car on the road again. Though I do have to admit that getting to play around with the Jag XJ40 last weekend was rather fun. Parking the thing excepted!