Music to test the system required

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Jonno
Diamond with extra bling
Diamond with extra bling

Music to test the system required

Post by Jonno » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:53 am

I need a music compilation to test a music sysem, from those elusive highs to the deep, ear bleeding, pressure wave super bass notes.

I intend to fit a kenwood system to the Niva, it has pre-outs at the rear of the head unit and it has a multichanger too.

What would you lot reccommend as a sub for the system? I have a couple of 6x9 Pro Audio 300w 4 ways to fit in the rear somewhere as basic speakers for the system. But I need a bit of "input" (pardon the pun) from those of you who know about this sort of thing.

Lukey, when you come over I want another look at that system of yours mate. I also want to put a recording of AC/DC 'For Those About To Rock' and Rogue Traders 'Voodoo Child' to max out your sub through it :twisted:
If it doesn't work - hit it with a hammer. If that doesn't work get a bigger hammer.
'95 Hussar
ImageImage

findlay234
Bronze
Bronze

Post by findlay234 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:10 am

ive got some mp3's that are heavily bassed. some which are used to test systems and some which are just songs like prodigy charly (trip in to drum and bass version) theres a bit half way through the song where it says 'charly says.... bass' and theres a very slow rythmic bass note. great for testing bass.

other than that i would suggest using powerfull classical music to check out the whole system with the full range. Try Tchaikovsky-'1812', or holst - mars...

cheers
fin

Jonno
Diamond with extra bling
Diamond with extra bling

Post by Jonno » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:05 pm

Thanks Fin, Classical may be the way to go to give the old jukebox a decent workout. I enjoy most things from Mozart to Metallica. lol

I shall have a look out for Prodigy - Charly

(Did you know the old information films on tv where Charly the cat would meeow his warnings of talking to strangers etc was voiced by Kenny Everett?) Just a bit of useless info there, if anybody wants to know :lol:

flytedsamara
Bronze
Bronze

Post by flytedsamara » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:23 pm

For recomendations on sound systems (if you're brave) you might want to try buying one of the younger car modifier's mags? Max Factor or something??

nitro_warrior
Gold
Gold

Post by nitro_warrior » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:19 pm

flytedsamara wrote:For recomendations on sound systems (if you're brave) you might want to try buying one of the younger car modifier's mags? Max Factor or something??
You really think they provide any usefull information whatsover on anything???!!!! They don't. I'm ashamed to say but I had to buy a copy once so I know :oops:
2 x Fiat Panda 4x4 999cc
VW Type 3 Fast back
Chrysler Voyager

Edinburgh

findlay234
Bronze
Bronze

Post by findlay234 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:47 pm

ive just been given a song by housemate. chemical brothers - bass test. that uses the full range of bass and ive also got a couple of songs called speaker testers and bass testers etc. if you want an email with a couple in then let me know.

cheers
fin

Jonno
Diamond with extra bling
Diamond with extra bling

Post by Jonno » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:57 pm

Cheers Fin, PM sent.

Anyway what sub woofer assembly has anyone got installed? Is a Capacitor a neccessity to give it that extra power under load?

Ladalukey
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Ladalukey » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:04 pm

Jonno.... I just use a 1200 watt Vibe sub enclosure with intergrated amp. It's 15inch and sounds grrrreat!!!

Before that i used a jbl 1300 amp with 10 inch sub and it did struggle a little.

Power caps can be used and double subs, vented enclosures etc etc... it all depends how much you want to spend and how much rust holds the niva together!!!! :lol:

Jonno
Diamond with extra bling
Diamond with extra bling

Post by Jonno » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:08 pm

Ladalukey wrote: Power caps can be used and double subs, vented enclosures etc etc... it all depends how much you want to spend and how much rust holds the niva together!!!! :lol:
How much rust !!!!!!! Cheeky Blighter :lol: :lol: :lol:

1200watt - wowser, that is some power output. I am becoming more and more interested

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:25 pm

My two favourite pieces for testing a setup like that actually come from the soundtrack to the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.

The tracks in question being "The White Tree" and "Minas Tirith" - very "big" instrumental tracks. Okay...will rephrase that...absolutely bloody HUGE instrumental tracks!

These two are responsible for quite a few things having "walked" off shelves in this room before when I've had the volume cranked up!

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:11 pm

Chris Rea - Road to Hell. The prosecution rests.

Jonno
Diamond with extra bling
Diamond with extra bling

Post by Jonno » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:51 pm

findlay234 wrote: ive got a couple of songs called speaker testers and bass testers etc. if you want an email with a couple in then let me know
Thanks for the tracks Fin, downloaded and burnt onto CD

Now that cleared the earwax out mate !!!!!!! It made the dog cower in the corner, next doors dog is going mental, cats have gone awol, I had to remove the glass lampshades from the wall lights and things started to move on the shelves.
Whether I dare play something like that at full chat in the old motor when I get the sound system installed is another thing. You would have to have a window open wouldn't you otherwise I reckon your head would implode.
I like quite a few of Prodigy's stuff, don't know whether I would go and physically buy those tracks but it certainly gives the sysyem a deep workout on the home hi-fi - Sony S.A.W bass generating system.

Another good suggestion there David with Chris Rea.

Jonno
Diamond with extra bling
Diamond with extra bling

Post by Jonno » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:04 pm

Right I have a lot of suggestions of bass tests - now for the high notes.
What have we got that I can roll into one package?
I like David Gilmours "On an Island" CD (Still quite Floyd-ish) some very nice guitar riffs.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:21 pm

You can't beat a bit of Thin Lizzy. Those twin guitar harmonies should test any system.

baxter

Post by baxter » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:49 am

I always find good old PF's Shine on you Crazy Diamond a good all round audio test.

Chem Bros Bass Test happens to be, er, backed up up here: http://www.freewebs.com/poppinpixe/Chemical.mid but it's probably actually a bit average for a decent bass test.

Now here's the best track to test bass:
http://www.basscd.com/content/mp3/BassC ... -Track.mp3

Should give your audio - and anything not bolted down - a good work out.

:)