Skoda bits?

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Dewie
Standard
Standard

Skoda bits?

Post by Dewie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:52 pm

Any one have any suggestions to look for Skoda bits? an older friend of the family is looking for some and I told him I'd ask around.
Lada owner in Nova Scotia, Canada who currently has 4 Nivas:

nitro4wd
Bronze
Bronze

Post by nitro4wd » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:16 pm

I tried telling my brother his Felicia was a fake, but he wouldn't have it...
Risca, South Wales.<br>
'93 Niva Cossack<br>
'07 Ford Ka<br>
Unknown year 5.3V12 XJS I haven't paid for yet...<br>

jiffyman
Bronze
Bronze

Post by jiffyman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:20 pm

My missus has one of those Volkskodas, damn reliable bit of kit, the Felicia!

T reg (whatever year that is) bought it off an old boy, still only 21k on the clock!!

nitro4wd
Bronze
Bronze

Post by nitro4wd » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:26 pm

Considering the way my brother drives they must be pretty darn reliable (his clutch action has two positions, on and off). It kind of looks like a MK4 Polo and a MK3 Golf had a love child...

On the subject of parts (for traditional Skodas), I'd suggest joining a national club or forum, maybe the Skoda equivalent of this site and Alan Bird! I think I'm right in saying though that there's more support for classic Skoda's than there is for our beloved Lada's, so there shouldn't be a problem (unless it's something like a unique body panel from a 130 Rapid or something...).
Risca, South Wales.<br>
'93 Niva Cossack<br>
'07 Ford Ka<br>

Dewie
Standard
Standard

Post by Dewie » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:46 am

I quite honestly know nothing at all about them - I have yet to pop the name into google to see what I can see... I think I need to get educated a bit about what the cars are before I even look.
Lada owner in Nova Scotia, Canada who currently has 4 Nivas:

nitro4wd
Bronze
Bronze

Post by nitro4wd » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:19 pm

Does the Favorit not count, or was that made under VAG's rule?
Risca, South Wales.<br>
'93 Niva Cossack<br>
'07 Ford Ka<br>

ladaboy
Bronze
Bronze

Post by ladaboy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:06 pm

Actually rear-engined Skodas were only built because of trade embargoes that prevented Czechoslovakia being able to source the materials for CV joints. Otherwise they would have been front engined FWD transverse.

Or so a man in a pub told me.....

Really old Skodas are front engine longitudinal RWD.
Superjohn
1986 Lada Riva 1200L R.I.P.
RUST KILLED MY LADA

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:00 pm

Rear engined Skuds (at least the Estelle) has conventional CV joints as with most front engined front drive cars...the inner ones of which are now unobtainable. So you make sure you look after them!

...especially given how much of a pain the drums are to get off, even WITH the correct tool.

If you're looking for parts for a 120/130, give us a shout. I've got a more or less complete 130GL here which I can pull most parts off. It was in a front end shunt a year and a half ago, but all the mechanicals aside from the offside front suspension and steering components survived.

As I recall, the reason the Estelle ended up being rear engined, was that had the car been an FF setup, it would have appeared more technically advanced than the cars currently being produced in Russia at the time - and as a result they wouldn't have been able to sell it there - hence the redesign based more on the design of the old S100 series. Can't remember precisely though, so don't quote me on that!

...I do know however that it's a design that works well, and is entirely too much fun (especially in the wet!) to drive. Makes engine changes a doddle too, even without a lift!

(unbolt back panel & remove, jack up engine, remove bolts, support gearbox, push car forward and leave engine standing on the blocks. Sticking it back in is more fiddly, but just as simple).

There's a lot of enthusiastic support behind the older Skodas - but they seriously lack an Alan Bird! Getting parts for the older Skuds in some cases is hard, as production of many parts has now ceased (VW haven't continued supporting them), and parts supplies are starting to dry up in some cases. Especially for some of the more obscure models (try finding injection system parts for a 135 Rapid (like mine!) for instance...).

nitro4wd
Bronze
Bronze

Post by nitro4wd » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:07 pm

Is that GL completely dead (i.e. beyond reasonable economic repair to get it back on the road)?
Risca, South Wales.<br>
'93 Niva Cossack<br>
'07 Ford Ka<br>

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:21 pm

Yes - 55mph into the side of a gas tanker that shot a stop sign in front of me (wrote the tanker off too).

...this was the result.

Still runs though (well...not just now, as I've nicked the distributor cap after the centre pin fell out of my Rapid's one!), and only has 26K (or 30 - can't remember, and am in the US right now, so can't check!) on the clock too!

...if my injection woes continue with the Rapid, its engine may well end up going in until I can track down the bits I need.

Oh...they're safe too. I walked away from that with a couple of grazed knuckles from my hands coming off the wheel and hitting the dashboard.[/img]

nitro4wd
Bronze
Bronze

Post by nitro4wd » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:29 pm

I remember you telling us about that now!!!

I was about to get all impulsive and start making you offers, but I think the missus might have a word or two to say about another wreck being outside the house...

It's a real shame it died. Not enough of those left. I really want one, I'm dying to see what a turbocharged twin cam would be like in a 130/Rapid! :twisted:
Risca, South Wales.<br>
'93 Niva Cossack<br>
'07 Ford Ka<br>

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:40 pm

That'd certainly be interesting! Not sure it's worth it though. These are cars that can seriously shift if set up right. 135's a lot more smooth in the power delivery than the 130 was, and isn't quite so racy (still don't know what its top is though). Reckon you'd have a job making a car with an engine that big hung out the back handle though. Rapid's quite well balanced as it is, but think it might start getting too tail happy with much more weight behind the rear wheels.

(The Rapid is still known as Mr. Sideways here though!)

Imagine it would still work in the dry though, under which circumstances the Rapid sticks to the road like a go kart, not quite as well as the Estelle though - it's more a cruiser than the 130GL, which was convinced that it was still a rally car I reckon. They both get very sideways when the road's wet though, tyre choice doesn't seem to have as much effect there as I expected either.

If you're looking for a seriously cool looking, comfortable cruiser, go for a Rapid (those front seats for one things are possibly the most comfortable things ever created).

If you're looking for a car that thinks it's a rally car, go for a 130. If you can find a 130GL (unlikely), you get the Rapid style interior, which I think is a lot classier, and seems to be somewhat more hard wearing too.

...they all seem to have pathetic heaters though.

...or is that just me having being spoilt by the Niva and Saab?

The only complaint I have about the older Skodas (Which I really, really like), is the parts availability locally. The vast majority of bits can be got hold of, but need digging for, or have to be ordered in, taking a week from my usual factors. That, combined with the fact that the Rapid is really too rare to be parked on the street here I think, is why I'm starting to consider looking for a Riva Estate again. Not sure if that'll happen yet though. Wish I could have both!