Outboard Motors

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
nitro_warrior
Gold
Gold

Outboard Motors

Post by nitro_warrior » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Thought I would post some pics of my latest acquisition as I know a few of you like your boats.

The Scouts I help with were threatening to skip some old outboard engines so I thought I should do the honourable thing and liberate them. Not sure what to do with them.

Anyway here are some pics. The Seagull is the pick of the bunch, fuel tank has a few dents unfortunately.

2 x Fiat Panda 4x4 999cc
VW Type 3 Fast back
Chrysler Voyager

Edinburgh

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Re: Outboard Motors

Post by excossack » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:35 am

Nice collection you got there. I nearly bought a 6 fisherman off a mate for £150, but I could not get the ****** to stay running. I think it was the middle control for rich/lean mixture that had seized.

A mate had a Seagull and that wouldn't start, turned out to the be some crud in the carb and so a quick clean, check and clean / re-gap spark plug fresh fuel and bop bop bop bop bop
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Holly: This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:49 am

http://www.britishseagullparts.com/ or here to ID the engine.
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Holly: This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!

nitro_warrior
Gold
Gold

Post by nitro_warrior » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks for the info. Won't get a chance to look for ages, being sent away with work for a month to work on site. I do know that the seagull leaked a lot of oil when I laid it prop side down. Need to make up a good test bath for running them.
2 x Fiat Panda 4x4 999cc
VW Type 3 Fast back
Chrysler Voyager

Edinburgh

nitro_warrior
Gold
Gold

Post by nitro_warrior » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:38 pm

GadgetBoy wrote:There is no oil seal on the prop. They're designed to run on a water/oil emulsion so water leaks in and oil leaks out. If it's leaking badly the "oil" in it is knackered or it's the wrong oil. It must be EP140 unless it's a very early or very late model and your's isn't.

If you're going to leave it for a long time take the plastic plug out of the front of the gearbox (opposite prop) and let it drain into something then it'll be good and empty for you to refill when you do get round to the engines.

EP140 is hard to get but you should get it with no bother in an agricultural merchants.
Actually on that point, one of your links to Seagull part suppliers had EP140 for sale which is doubly useful as Fiat Panda 4x4 rear diffs use EP140. I've never changed the oil in mine as I haven't been arsed to really look for a supplier!
2 x Fiat Panda 4x4 999cc
VW Type 3 Fast back
Chrysler Voyager

Edinburgh