Towing a car out of the snow

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
s_zigmond
Bronze
Bronze

Towing a car out of the snow

Post by s_zigmond » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:58 am

Just after some basic dos and donts for if I was to offer to tow a car out of the snow.

Im not talking about cars stuck in ditches etc, just those that cant get traction or are on slight inclines.

Should I get a tow rope or Chain?
Am I ok to use my tow bar?
I know a number of americans who insist on using chains arround the rear axle. Is this a good idea?

As always thank you for your help. I have done a bit of research on this, but cant find anything specific for the lada.
Jeep Wrangler jl 2019 :D

LINCSLADA
Silver
Silver

Re: Towing a car out of the snow

Post by LINCSLADA » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Make sure your shackels and tow strops are rated all mine are rated.

Tow balls are ok to use but put a large shackel over the ball itself even safer if you have a ball and pin setup.Best way is a bridle strop fixed to fixed recovery points safest way anyhow..

If you've got traction thats a bonus no point trying to pull anything if you cant get traction even if you have to use a long strop to get on hard standing it doesnt matter..

Hope thats of some help to you

Cheers Gav

s_zigmond
Bronze
Bronze

Post by s_zigmond » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:35 pm

Cheers mate very helpful.

Now for the cheeky bit. Can you recommend any suitable equipment? I dont want to be spending a fortune at the moment as all this is just incase, but want to make sure I get stuff that is suitable.

I am how ever hoping when I have a bit more free time to join the yorkshire 4x4 response (which I notice your a member of) so anything that will be suitable for that would be a bonus/

Would something like this be suitable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-METRE-4-TON ... 1c221e3072

edit, just been google bridal strap, and that will have to be something for the future when I get 2 tow points

LINCSLADA
Silver
Silver

Post by LINCSLADA » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi mate i use 19mm green pin shackels about £6 EACH but they are rated.The strop in the link you posted is pefectly ok for what you need just the shackels arent rated.If there is a machine mart close to you the sell strops rated at 5tons for about £12.

http://www.famousfour.co.uk/foursport/shackles.php

Also if you are unsure what a strop is rated at you can tell by how many rows of stiching there is across the strop.IE 3 rows of stich equals 3 ton rated strop

Well worth joining yorks lincs 4x4 response loads of training etc going on plus it will be nice to see another niva..

Cheers Gav

s_zigmond
Bronze
Bronze

Post by s_zigmond » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Thank you for all the advice. I'll nip to machine mart on monday.

Thank you again