3 points for a legal tyre!!

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
jjbjoinery
Bronze
Bronze

3 points for a legal tyre!!

Post by jjbjoinery » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:41 pm

time for a quick rant i thnk! i was pulled last night for a random drinkdrivng check (which i didnt even do!!!) and had a full vehicle inspection, the police then took me into their car and gave me a vehicle defect notice for my 'loose' front bumper (mk4 astra van, and if any of you know these then you'll know how crappily the bumpers are fixed on on the side) and then gave me a fixed penalty notice for a 'defective tyre with unsufficient tread' (they measured 1.5mm!!!!) so got £60 fine and 3 points!!!! now, fair enough if it is worn but my tyres are fine legally, it is down to the wear marks but only just.

so today i took the 'defective' tyre to 2 dfferent and random mot testers who have both said and are willing to say in court that the tyre IS legal wth 1.9mm!!!! so if the mot testers are right ive just got my first 3 points for having a legal tyre!!!

as im sure you can guess im gunna protest the points, dont care whatsoever about the fne tho, and 1st thing tuesday morning im off down to my local vosa testing station to get it in writing that my tyre IS legal and the points are not justifiable in any way

oh and as always i do have a 'story' for the defective wheel that the police didnt believe either! earlier in the day id got a puncture and had gone to my mates to get a spare as i dont have one, and got pulled on the way to check the pressure in the spare before fitting it as i was planning to go to ladapartsuk, over 200miles away! to get a load of spares off neil. so got my mate who can back that up

have any of you had this fne and able to offer any advice in fighting it?
cheers
joe
1986 1.6 niva

jjbjoinery
Bronze
Bronze

Re: 3 points for a legal tyre!!

Post by jjbjoinery » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:27 pm

well been to the police station and they say that if i can get it in writing that my tyre is mot-able then they should be able to sort it out for me, so first thing in the morning im going to 5 random garages to get them all to put it down in writing that it would pass an mot with an advisory for the puncture and then to vosa for a 6th written proof of my tyre being mot worthy and then finally back to the police station to hand it all n along wth the tyre to see what they say and hopefully have them drop the points!
1986 1.6 niva

Hoodoo
No rank

Post by Hoodoo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Make sure the details on the tyre agree with those recorded by the P.C., if he did record any?
Regards,
Hoodoo
'03 Niva 1.7si
Buckley, North Wales.

jjbjoinery
Bronze
Bronze

Post by jjbjoinery » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:39 pm

he did go back to get the serial number off the tyre and ive got it written down on the top of the papers im taking to the garages so there wont be any question as to the exact tyre in question
1986 1.6 niva

s_zigmond
Bronze
Bronze

Post by s_zigmond » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:58 am

What was the out come of this?
Jeep Wrangler jl 2019 :D

jjbjoinery
Bronze
Bronze

Post by jjbjoinery » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:19 pm

i got the points unfortunately, i took it to vosa test station and they found a 100mm section that was at 1.4mm that the vosa guy put down to 'hard braking' at some point. got it in writing off vosa that it was only a 100mm section on the outside edge that was low for me to keep myself
1986 1.6 niva

s_zigmond
Bronze
Bronze

Post by s_zigmond » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:02 am

Gutted. Well you live and learn, and 3 points usually makes very little difference to insurance
Jeep Wrangler jl 2019 :D