Motorbike module 1 test

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Martin
Bronze
Bronze

Motorbike module 1 test

Post by Martin » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:39 pm

Hi all.
Trusting we've all had a good Chrimbo? Now guys and girls, I have a question for you as within this forum lies the fount of all knowledge!!
Having just turned 50, I have done what every self-respecting middle aged man should do and got a motorbike. Completed CBT a few months back and have been whizzing round on 'L' plates. Now need to take the practical test which comes in 2 parts - Module 1 (off-road manouvering and handling) and Module 2 (on-road driving). The bike I am riding and propose to take the test on is a 1986 MZ ETZ125 which is as basic as they come and only has a kick-start which is where the question arises. During the test(Module 1) does anyone know whether I kick start the bike on the stand whilst I am standing beside the bike, or do I sit astride and take it off the stand before kick-starting?
It would be disappointing to fail on such a basic error!
Cheers all.

GadgetBoy

Re: Motorbike module 1 test

Post by GadgetBoy » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:36 pm

Sorry. Can't help. I did my bike test 33 yrs ago and it consisted of riding around a bit and then passing. It was a complete farce. But it did allow me to immediately go and buy a Kwack KH250. None of yer 33 bhp melarky in them days.

I wouldn't have thought it matters Martin. I'd always take the bike off the stand to start it but that's habit. You do need to be able to start the bike at lights if you stall and such like. Ask your instructor what's the preferred method.

Martin
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Martin » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Thanks, Gadget. Indeed I should have taken test 33 years ago. I don't have an instructor, just trying to 'wing it' - instrction £150 a day, module 1 £15.50, so even if I use my test (booked for 25th Jan) as a sacrificial try-out and fail, I will be quids in! May even pass.
As an aside to this, I bumped into an old friend from school a few days back and as we were chatting I mentioned the bike. He replied "Oh yeah, got mine last year" as if yep, it's just something middle aged boys do as a rite of passage! I said we should have done the test way back when and he made the comment that had that been the case one or other of us would not have been there to have this conversation. Wise words indeed when we realised just how many of our peers had departed this world prematurely riding big bikes when young.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:14 am

I've had a bike since I passed my test at 17 and I've had a few hairy moments and have the scars and aching limbs to prove it. I was lucky - several close friends weren't.

I haven't ridden much in the past few years and the current steed is in bits and doesn't look like going back together anytime soon.

TITCH
Standard
Standard

Post by TITCH » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:46 am

I'm of the same view as GadgetBoy, probably best sitting on the bike off the stand just as you would if you'd stalled ( not that you will! )

Again, 30 years + since I did mine, hate to say but I think it was £6.50 for the test..but I was only on £30.00 a week then
Currently on XJR1300 & Z1100 shaft, The Kwak I may do up and/or sell one day.
I don't really get the time to go out on mine, but this coming year I aim to do just that, taking a bit of time off at weekends where I can.
Good luck with your test Martin

Titch
Restorations Final Touch

Martin
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Martin » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:35 pm

Cheers, Titch. I remember doing my car test at 17. £3.50 for an hours lesson and £10.30 for the test! - And I was on £15.50 a week on a work experience programme!!! Oh the good old days..............

Pjotr
Standard
Standard

Post by Pjotr » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:03 pm

during my second exam-attempt it was raining cats and dogs.
the honda cb 250 woulndt start, kick or electric
dripping from rain i asked if it was allowed to a le mans- push start, i got an ok from the man in a car.
riding on eggs on cobblestones i passed.
dont know what start procedure there is in the uk.
the only disadvanatage on kickstarting on the stand is that after a while,
you might get lots of room on the bolts of the stand.
was very common on the jawa bikes too.
There are no problems, only solutions.

thunder-skin

Post by thunder-skin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:11 pm

I got told that kick starting on the stand is frowned upon, as you have to show that you can restart the bike in traffic, so if you need to put it on the stand first, your obviously not in control of the situation.

(he didnt say you cant do it though)

Martin
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Martin » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:33 pm

Yeah, makes sense that. I was thinking more taking it off the stand whilst standing and holding the bike on the front brake whilst i kick-start it then, once runnng, cocking leg over to sit astride to ride off. Damn near impossible to kick over with enough oomph to start the engine whilst sitiing on it - and i catch my ankle bone on the cetre stand mounting!