My first diesel

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
CCCP-1985
Bronze
Bronze

My first diesel

Post by CCCP-1985 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi folks

So while my Lada 2102 is of the road, i am using a 1999 Skoda Felicia Diesel 1.9. 127000 but with a pretty good service record.

I noticed the oil level when i picked up the car was high, i removed the intake plenum to find oil everywhere, including down the air horns.

There's a breather pipe that goes from the rocker cover into the plunum (about 3 inches long) and it has a split which was leaking oil.

Have just done an oil flush/change and filter change..

But my question is, is the the oil in the plenum linked to the oil level being too high and therefore being sucked up or should i be worried :roll:
1976 Zhiguli (Lada) 2102
2003 Ford Ranger super cab pick up
1992 Toyota Hilux

Hoodoo
No rank

Re: My first diesel

Post by Hoodoo » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:58 pm

The diesel vans I have had all stated in the manual that the oil level MUST NOT exceed the high mark on the dipstick, or oil will get sucked into the turbo. Applies to Land Rovers as well. Try keeping the level correct and see how it goes.
Regards,
Hoodoo
'03 Niva 1.7si
Buckley, North Wales.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:48 pm

I'd suggest just keeping an eye on it for now. Hopefully it's just been overfilled by accident by the previous owner. I've only had one TD car, and its air intake was pretty disgusting to be honest!

If the oil level increases on its own, then start worrying. That could be due to a leak from the fuel injection system getting into the oil. This then can dilute the engine oil until it starts finding its way past seals, with the potential eventually to cause a runaway. I do recall of hearing of some European car which was prone to problems of that sort, but can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Clean it up and keep an eye on the level. Most likely it's just been over-filled due to a bit of carelessness and all will be fine.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:37 pm

I don't know the little dinky VAG diesels but there are standard checks you should carry out ....

PCV
EGR
MAF

Get yourself a Haynes for it and check the above. If your PCV system is compromised it can cause all sorts of oily problems. I'll leave you to Google the acronyms .... keeps you on your toes!

It's unlikely your 99 car has a DPF but as a general rule little dinky diesels need a damned good thrashing now and again.

Banjo
Standard
Standard

Post by Banjo » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:30 pm

You don't say how much oil but you will get a reasonable amount of wetting down inside crossover pipe/plenum on a turbo diesel, the breather is usually plumbed into the intake between the filter and the turbo and its a natural process from there of drawing it through in minute amounts but it all adds up, if the motor is worn then expect even more.
I personally don't think its a result of over filling unless they filled the oil up till it was over flowing out the fill cap :shock:

CCCP-1985
Bronze
Bronze

Post by CCCP-1985 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:33 am

Thanks folks for all the advice.

Don't think mines has a PCV valve but it does have a EGR valve, so once i have obtained the gaskets i am going to strip off the inlet manifold which has the egr mounted to it and clean the lot, that way it is easier to keep an eye on for fouling again.
1976 Zhiguli (Lada) 2102
1992 Toyota Hilux

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:43 am

It almost certainly will have a PCV system.

CCCP-1985
Bronze
Bronze

Post by CCCP-1985 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Well, i done an oil/filter change and oil flush, also change the fuel filter and finaly ran a litre of Liqui Moly direct through the injection pump and the engine seems a lot healthier. One small achievment atleast :D

The only thing that annoyed me was the new oil turned black as soon as i added the new stuff but that seems to be a thing with diesels!

How do you know if your cat is chocked up and how do you clean them?
1976 Zhiguli (Lada) 2102
1992 Toyota Hilux

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:17 pm

It probably doesn't have a CAT. If it does a good blart should improve things.

Sounds like it's been wanting an oil change for a while. Do several oil changes over a few weeks with the cheapest oil you can find and when it starts to clean up do a final oil change for reasonable quality oil.

Liquid Moly
Slick 50
Moly Slip
Redex etc

Are all Snake Oil. Don't waste your money.