Single point injection Fiat dead?

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Single point injection Fiat dead?

Post by daniel.b » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi Just wondered if any of you guys were familiar with SPI fiats? Specifically the 899cc Cinqucento.

Its the girlfriends we've had it about a month and a few times when cold the engine light has come on and there has been a drop in power. More recently this has resulted in it stalling, but we came to it the other morning and it was dead it turned over but wouldn't fire.

I checked the plugs (black!) and made sure fuel was reaching the throttle body and eventually coaxed it into starting but it wouldn't rev unless I pressed the accelerator very slowly. I fought with it all day to no avail. Until finally it started and ran 100% no engine management light, full power. So I parked it up and went to bed happy :lol: .

The next morning... Dead :cry:
Tomorrow ill be mostly fighting again but if anyone has any experience with these I'd be happy to hear.
Daniel.b
1990 Riva 1300

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Same as the TBi Niva.

CTS or vacuum leak. Because the throttle appears to be related I'd be looking at a vacuum leak or dead MAP/MAF - which it is depends on the system.

daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Post by daniel.b » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Made a bit of a break through. It appears to be an ECU earthing issue. I found it by pluuging the diagnostic leads, it ran fine no light full power. Not quite sure what the problem is the two earths to the ECU are fine and its bolted to the chassis but for now i have grounded the earth pin in the diag port just to make it mobile.
Thanks Dan
1990 Riva 1300

tarrant
Bronze
Bronze

seicento

Post by tarrant » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:42 pm

ok,,if i may join in.. my second hand 32,000 ml,,900cc seicento has a problem with a hot start and unless pushed will stall if not careful..
i have checked cts for correct resistance and it apperas a little high but it is not too warm herei n yorks.it should read 3000 ohms but reads 3600
it also seems to run on a little ,,a couple of seconds ,after blipping the throttle.
i intend to check air temp intake sender but should i first spray with carb cleaner to check for a vacumn leak?

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Generally with any issue like this the first thing to do is check that every connector is seated properly, then check for vacuum leaks.

If your CTS is reading slightly high, that probably is going to be making the ECU think the engine is warmer than it is, so it may be flooding when trying to hot start. I don't know what the resistance range (how much it varies by) is, so I don't know how big a percentage off the mark the 600 ohm value you've got is.

If you don't find any vac leaks or anything like that, testing this by substitution might be your best bet if it's not an expensive, hard to get hold of part.

With regards to it holding the revs after blipping the throttle, this might just be something they do. Citroen C1/Peugeot 107/Toyota Aygos all do that a bit, as does my 306. Took me a while to master changing gear smoothly and without the revs shooting up as the clutch went in as a result. I've never driven a Seic..sec...one of the small ones newer than the proper version of the Panda, so can't really comment there.

...Would love another Panda though...
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

tarrant
Bronze
Bronze

suspisions

Post by tarrant » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:38 pm

i,m now looking closely at the TDC sensor.the one that points at the crank pully.
mine is 4mm or so away from the bully teeth and is also not in line with the wheel.a runnig seicento has the device about 1mm from the pully.
one bolt is missing on the plate holding the sensor and son has just broken the remaining bolt,,,will find drill tomorrow.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Hmm, seems that bolts made of cheese is a Fiat thing then!

I had a similar problem with an L plate Panda when both (yes, both) bolts holding the thermostat housing on sheared with alarming ease when I tried to remove it. That was fun.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

tarrant
Bronze
Bronze

sucess

Post by tarrant » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:19 pm

well that was a stroke of luck....i took the crank sensor off ,,not too hard as both bolts were missing,,ha,.flat file both mating faces and although the end of the sensor is now a much closer fit it still sits slightly out of the plane of the crank..warmed up the car ,,waited for the fan to kick in ,,,turn engine off..and presto,,she started. again first time.had a drive ,,its runnibg sweeter ,,more power and if it is still working tomorrow i will consider it sorted...
just got rear crank oil seal to replace now ,,so will be taking up usual position ,laid in the road ,in the gutter ,,in the dark.loverly

Hoodoo
No rank

Post by Hoodoo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:22 pm

Good job! It's noticeable that what used to be 'DON'T TOUCH!' has now become ordinary (relatively) DIY fare.
Regards,
Hoodoo
'03 Niva 1.7si
Buckley, North Wales.