Odd question

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Martin
Bronze
Bronze

Odd question

Post by Martin » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Does anyone know how long a 2-stroke engine will run without any oil in the mix?
Reason for asking is that my MZ 125 is now road legal and I've clocked up about 50 or so trouble free miles. It goes really well and surprisingly smooth and strong. The lubricating 2stroke oil is not mixed with the petrol as it used to be in the good old days, but is delivered into the crankcase from a separate tank via a pump which is operated by a secondary cable attached to the throttle twist-grip.
At a 50:1 ratio it's not going to drink the oil, but just wondering if the pump wasn't doing its job, how long before the death rattle would appear.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:11 pm

If you rev the engine are you getting stroker smoke? Blip the throttle hard a few times. The 3rd or 4th time you should get good smoke.

A 2-stroke will give up the ghost very quickly if it's getting no oil.

If you're not happy the oil pump is doing its job just run it on pre-mix although the oil usage on a modern 2-stroke is microscopic. A litre does me a season on the TZR. I usually end up draining the tank and putting in in the lawnmowers.

Martin
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Martin » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Cheers. I guessed so. I was sat at traffic lights for a long time just idling and when i opened it up to take off there was a very impressive trail of smoke for about 200 yards!!

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:19 pm

Sounds fine then. The pumps are gear driven and rarely give any trouble.

Neil Chowney
Administrator

Post by Neil Chowney » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:34 pm

I hope you're using Castrol R in that.........mmmmmmmm!
Neil Chowney
Land Rover Discovery Sport (just sold the Freelander)
Cube Agree HTC Di2