dihatsu sportrak.....o dear has it come to this....

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
mudbaby
Bronze
Bronze

dihatsu sportrak.....o dear has it come to this....

Post by mudbaby » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Ok, both my ladas are off the road and in need of serious amount of time. i havnt got time at the moment and i need to get to work, my third option (mk1 fiesta) is also proving to be time consuming so in the meantime ive seen a sportrak for sale nearby for £850. looks tidy with receipts,service work, and a ticket. for now it will have to do i think. any warnings before i take the plunge. what should i pay close attention to. what tends to fail on them....this needs to be a hassle free motor for at least a few months.

Your thoughts gentleman, as always much appreciated....
where we're going....we dont need roads!

1700 tbi niva
1600 carb niva ragtop x2

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:49 pm

Mechanically they're pretty reliable. Check the usual things. Rust moths are their main enemy.

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:53 pm

From memory they have a small boot. I did find it reasonably nippy when I took one for a spin, a bit quieter than a Niva.
My main reason for not buying one was the small boot. 1600 petrol engine version ?
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Holly: This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:17 pm

We had a few of them through at the garage.

Drove not too bad actually from what I remember, bit prone to massive wheelspin in the wet if you came off the clutch too fast from a standing start, especially in the wet, not as bad as their big brothers the Fourtrack though.

Offroad I can't comment as I've never taken one down anything more strenuous than a gravel driveway.

Mechanically we never had any trouble with 'em save for periodic flat batteries (the battery is tiny from memory) if they were left sitting for any real length of time. The only downside is that they're old enough now that they're no longer a common sight in the breakers (well, up here at least) so getting spares probably means digging around a bit more than might be the case of some cars.

Interior is typical of any Daihatsu or Suzuki of the period...everything will probably work, but if you look at it wrong it will fall off.

As others have said, rust is their worst enemy. They're made out of what seemed very thin metal, and the rustproofing on all of those I saw was somewhere in between poor and non-existent. This isn't helped by a tendency for the doors to leak, so keep an eye out for floorpans rusting from the inside out if the carpets are even slightly damp or if the interior smells musty.

They also seemed to have a taste for exhausts from what I recall - that may just have been bad luck on our part though

Basically...look for rust well...everywhere. Other than that, just normal routine for any used car.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Hoodoo
No rank

Post by Hoodoo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:12 pm

Check the back end of the chassis. That's the area that goes!
Otherwise, good motors.
Regards,
Hoodoo
'03 Niva 1.7si
Buckley, North Wales.

mudbaby
Bronze
Bronze

Post by mudbaby » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:37 pm

cheers guys, will probably go av a look this weekend if i get time.
where we're going....we dont need roads!

1700 tbi niva
1600 carb niva ragtop x2