hyundai pony

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Aaron
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Aaron » Wed May 11, 2011 7:43 pm

I've seen a volvo 440 that looks like a better car for a similar price, i'm still not sure.

I've also visited what must be the dodgiest used car seller in britain,
Said I was looking for an economical 5-door hatch. He was trying to persuade me that a large 2 litre was more economical than a fiesta type(as with a small engine you are working it harder)

Then tried to pursuade me of the merits of a nissan (nothing wrong with Nisaans you might think), I told him i wasn't interested as it had a bit of an oil leak and i was concerned about a tyre. (by a bit I meant gallons of the stuff pouring out from somewhere). He told me it was just fine as it had just passed a hackney test. I said I hoped he didn't let people test drive it with that tyre on (it was either some new type of cloth tyre, or all the rubber had worn off - and this time I am not eggagerating), he shrugged his shoulders and said 'so what'.

I later heard local gossip (entirely unsubstantiated) that the forecourt is just a front for laundering thier drug money.
Aaron, Grantham <br>
Riva1600SLX (floorless example, sadly not a spelling mistake)
Citroen (surprisingly quite good) C3
Nissan (it's only for towing the caravan) X-trail
Simson S51

Martin
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Martin » Wed May 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Volvo 440, 1700 engine, so you'll be clobbered on the road tax.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed May 11, 2011 11:22 pm

I nearly bought a 440 a few years back. Nice driving things, just make sure the electrics work!

Engine and 'box are shared with the Renault 21 (or was it 19?) I believe.

Road tax will be higher than the Hyundai - might want to check with your insurers too, as I discovered it was a lot more expensive to insure than I'd expected. That was the main reason I didn't pick it up, in the end instead ending up with an N plate 1.5TD Corsa...which despite my expectations of mundanity was a cracking little motor. Didn't look like much, but had more torque than traction in the first three gears and steadfastly refused to give less than 50mpg or break down no matter what I threw at it. That was with 140K or so on the clock too! It eventually succumbed to rust a couple of years later after I'd sold it unfortunately. Was still running like a champ though, and rapidly heading for the 180K mark if I remember rightly then.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Gunsnlada
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Gunsnlada » Thu May 12, 2011 3:19 am

Martin wrote:Volvo 440, 1700 engine, so you'll be clobbered on the road tax.
Can someone explain to me how youre road tax work? I don't understand how a 1700 engine can be considered big (i assume the bigger engine the higher tax), around here the average engine size would be something like 2.4L. under 2L, cars are considered as very economical. My daily is sort of average being a Grand vitara (2,5LV6).
Chevy Silverado '89 305
Lada Niva '96 1.7i
Lada Cossaq '98 1.7i
Chevy cavalier '99 3.4lv6 to be supercharged

Semtex
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Semtex » Thu May 12, 2011 6:20 am

Gunsnlada wrote:
Martin wrote:Volvo 440, 1700 engine, so you'll be clobbered on the road tax.
Can someone explain to me how youre road tax work? I don't understand how a 1700 engine can be considered big (i assume the bigger engine the higher tax), around here the average engine size would be something like 2.4L. under 2L, cars are considered as very economical. My daily is sort of average being a Grand vitara (2,5LV6).
It has changed quite a bit over the years. It started off as 1 tax for all

Then they decided to have a 2 teir system for older cars.
> 1,5 =lower rate
< 1,5 =higher rate
It is based on the exact engine capacity so my Riva 1500 is actually lower rate (1452 engine)

At about the same time that was brought in the also decided that there would be several tax brackets for cars manufactured after year 2000 based on exhaust emissions.

The mrs was annoyed when here 2001 1.6 focus actually cost more to tax than my 1997 mondeo 2.5 V6

They also brought in a scheme that cars over 25 years old were zero road tax and that was on a rolling scheme.

Several years later they froze it so now you only get free tax on a pre 1972 car

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? Confused????

I believe that is the general Idea..........so they can screw the uk motorist for more money. (bearing in mind the UK is skint)

Gunsnlada
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Gunsnlada » Thu May 12, 2011 7:15 am

what amount are we talking about lets say for a '98 niva or a '05 toy tundra??
Chevy Silverado '89 305
Lada Niva '96 1.7i
Lada Cossaq '98 1.7i

Semtex
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Semtex » Thu May 12, 2011 8:43 am

Gunsnlada wrote:what amount are we talking about lets say for a '98 niva or a '05 toy tundra??
98 Niva at current prices would be £215 GBP for the year.

The 05 Toyota.......quite a few variables.
If taxed as PLG (passenger light goods......eg same as a car) then it depends on the emissions readings. Anything upto £460 GBP for the year.

If it as registered as a light goods vehicle then it would cost
£210 GBP for the year, unless it was "Euro 4 complient" (european emmissions standards)
If it is Euro 4 then it would be £130 GBP for the year.

You can buy the tax discs in 6 month cycles, but that would inlude a (roughly) 10% increase in cost.

You would also need at minimum 3rd party insurance and a valid MOT (roadworthyness certificate)

Like I said, very confusing.

(please don't ask me to convert the figures from GBP to Canadian dollers)

Add to that the average cost of fuel over here is about £1.40 per litre
4 1/2 litres to the imperial (uk) Gallon.

The more I think about it, can I move to Canada :D

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu May 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Currency conversions below.
Semtex wrote:
Gunsnlada wrote:what amount are we talking about lets say for a '98 niva or a '05 toy tundra??
98 Niva at current prices would be £215 GBP (CDN $337.52) for the year.

The 05 Toyota.......quite a few variables.
If taxed as PLG (passenger light goods......eg same as a car) then it depends on the emissions readings. Anything upto £460 GBP (CDN $722.34) for the year.

If it as registered as a light goods vehicle then it would cost
£210 GBP (CDN $239.77) for the year, unless it was "Euro 4 complient" (european emmissions standards)
If it is Euro 4 then it would be £130 GBP (CDN $204.19) for the year.

You can buy the tax discs in 6 month cycles, but that would inlude a (roughly) 10% increase in cost.

You would also need at minimum 3rd party insurance and a valid MOT (roadworthyness certificate)

Like I said, very confusing.

(please don't ask me to convert the figures from GBP to Canadian dollers)

Add to that the average cost of fuel over here is about £1.40 (CDN $2.20) per litre
4 1/2 litres to the imperial (uk) Gallon.

The more I think about it, can I move to Canada :D
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

mooshaker
Silver
Silver

Post by mooshaker » Sat May 14, 2011 5:10 pm

this was given to me 1 owner from new 23k full service history it was awfulllll with a capital sh one t......Image

Aaron
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Aaron » Sat May 14, 2011 6:15 pm

In the end I went for the volvo 440 1.6i,

looks to be in fantastic condition, 78k, full dealer service history, and cheeper than the hyundai.

I would have prefered another lada but I can't afford one.
Aaron, Grantham <br>
Riva1600SLX (floorless example, sadly not a spelling mistake)
Citroen (surprisingly quite good) C3
Nissan (it's only for towing the caravan) X-trail
Simson S51

eveshamsteve

Post by eveshamsteve » Sat May 14, 2011 6:17 pm

Aaron wrote:
I know what you mean! Who would have ever thought it? The one on Ebay at the moment is at £2,500!

Gunsnlada
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Gunsnlada » Sun May 15, 2011 6:15 am

you could move to Canada... we get similar amount of taxes but for different reasons... they tax every one for plates, license and insurance( a PITA here) ... you should see the road taxes we all get ( even if you don't own a car)..it's insane... i believe you guys in NZ are world's most taxed ppl...we're second... cars are not as interesting here though...
Chevy Silverado '89 305
Lada Niva '96 1.7i
Lada Cossaq '98 1.7i

Martin
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Martin » Sun May 15, 2011 8:33 am

eveshamsteve wrote:
Aaron wrote:
I know what you mean! Who would have ever thought it? The one on Ebay at the moment is at £2,500!
Looks good for you and me, Steve, if thats what they're fetching. I am toying with parting with mine, financial crisis coming home to roost. Not sure if I can make the shows this year, can't even find a spare few quid to tax the ******!!