Peugeot 306 Electrical Gremlins

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Peugeot 306 Electrical Gremlins

Post by Zelandeth » Sat May 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Okay, so today hasn't gone great.

Discovered that the Cappuccino needs rather a LOT of reconstructive surgery for its MOT. Like the entire drivers side floorpan pretty much is shot, plus a whole bunch of more minor repairs to the sills etc. In short, not something that's going to be done in a day or two.

Now, my flatmate who was and is helping out with the work made a gracious gesture at this point, lending me his "spare" car, an old R plate 306. This was bought as an ex company car for next to nothing a while back with the view to selling on - however that's never happened! It's a really tidy little motor though, despite its 105K on the clock, and drives like a dream. It has been going through its terrible teens lately, with problems with the brakes and rear suspension, all now sorted.

It however has decided to throw gremlins at me this evening, and on the way back home this evening I found that the entire electrical system was intermittently cutting out. Engine, lights, instruments, the lot. First thought was something silly like a loose battery clamp - however it's never that simple is it! Everything seems secure, and no amount of poking, pushing, prodding, shaking and swearing has been able to get it to do it again since I got back!

I'll take a better look tomorrow when it's light and not tipping it down outside and make sure the main engine earth etc is okay, as that would be my main suspect.

Anyone here seen this before and can say immediately "oh, that always happens, it's item 'x' and you fix it like this?" or am I just going to have to spend the day hunting for the gremlin?

I'll likely be using this for a while, so it would be nice to get it sorted!
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun May 08, 2011 11:10 am

Good thought. I did wiggle, prod and whack aforementioned box yesterday evening without any effect on the symptoms - will check that though.

Cheers.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun May 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Sorted.

Main earth strap between engine and bodywork was found to be completely detached at the engine end. Only reason there was any continuity was that the end was resting against the side of the gearbox casing. New strap fitted between bodywork and the ironwork to which the gearbox mountings are fastened and electrical sanity has been restored.

I wish all faults were this easy to sort!