1980 Volkswagen T25 Camper Van Restoration Project

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Van was safely delivered this morning! I'm going to be starting the work proper next weekend most likely, this weekend I'm just going to be doing a proper survey of how much rust I need to deal with, what replacement panels I need etc, and giving it a darn good clean.

The good news so far is that the bottom door runner is like new, not totally shot as I expected. The reason that the door keeps jumping off is that the little rubber block thingie has fallen off the door itself (found it sitting in the parking space when the van was moved and thought it looked strangely like that bush!). Will be seeing if I can reattach it tomorrow.

Interior I gave a pretty good scrub up today and is looking much better - was blowing an absolute gale, so couldn't really make a start on the outside. Hoping it'll be more co-operative tomorrow!

Will have some more photos tomorrow, but for now, here's one of it sitting next to its new driveway companion.

LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:05 pm

That Cappuccino looks really scared.

nitro_warrior
Gold
Gold

Post by nitro_warrior » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:47 pm

It will good good when it's washed. I'm jealous of that find, i would like a camper van.
2 x Fiat Panda 4x4 999cc
VW Type 3 Fast back
Chrysler Voyager

Edinburgh

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:10 pm

So, this weekend we've gone from the image above, to this. Fair difference!

Probably the two most time consuming tasks of the weekend were getting the worst of the gunk off the roof and the polishing - which will need doing a bunch of times yet - but at least the water does run off it now.

There's still a heck of a lot of work to do - but at least it looks a bit more presentable on the drive now so the neighbours won't complain. Both of the front doors are knackered - but I knew that before I started. At least they keep most of the weather out now that I've adjusted the closures - the locking pins on both sides only had the securing screws in finger tight. No wonder you could see daylight around them.

The reason the side door had fallen off was tracked down to the little rubber bush on the bottom runner having for some reason jumped off its pin. I'm pointing the main finger there at brute force and a dry runner. It's all greased up now, and re-affixing the thing wasn't too hard - well, once I figured out that it was easier to remove the runner from the door - slot it into the channel, then bolt it onto the door again anyway. Did take me half an hour of wrestling with the door first to figure that out mind you...

Still, at least now the side door can be opened it has made getting into and out of the back a lot easier. Was quite nice sitting here with the door open this afternoon getting lunch. Wind was from the far side of the van, so it was nice and warm.

...The bench seat (and the bed mattress which is the same material) will be getting re-trimmed in due course. Firstly, roses really aren't me - and secondly, the material has *seriously* faded.

One thing has surprised me massively about this vehicle. Despite the fact that it hadn't moved a wheel since 2003 until last weekend - the brakes work. ALL of them. That was a surprise, obviously there will still be a lot of work to be done on the braking system - but at least the calipers appear to be serviceable. This is good as they ain't cheap. Likewise I'm happy that the exhaust system is intact, as that is rather pricey - the heat exchangers in particular you need a second mortgage for!

Next weekend I'm going to properly attack the mechanical side of things, stick some decent oil in (it's just got some cheap stuff in right now to flush the worst of the eight year old crud out), and see if I can get the carb to behave properly. Currenly it's idling fine, but is struggling if you open the throttle quickly. The accelerator jet does appear to be working though - in so much as it's squirting petrol down the carb barrel - whether it's squirting *enough* petrol down there is another matter however. I've also not even looked at the ignition system yet...So the fact that it's running at all, never mind ticking over absolutely perfectly - not even missfiring at all is quite astonishing.

Of course, at some point there's the welding to attack too. So far we've got one chassis outrigger needing repairing, pretty much a complete rebuild of the offside sill, patch the holes in the nearside sill, fixing the bottom of the offside front door pillar (I think), plate the offside seatbelt mount, plate the holes in the back of both front wheel arches, and try to make some sense out of what's left of the rear panel - which currently has the appearance and structural integrity in many places of a used teabag.

Really looking forward to driving this thing now though!

Really like the proper van driving position. It actually feels like a big vehicle, it's not been made to feel like a big car like a lot of the new ones have. Good thing the seats are more comfortable than they look though, as with 50bhp on tap, I won't be going anywhere very quickly...

Also looking forward to using it as it was intended. Never really been one for camping in tents - but this looks rather more inviting! I have a bed, as many blankets as necessary, a weatherproof enclosure, lighting and heating all on tap! Far more sensible I think - especially with Scottish weather in mind.

Sad thing now is that I can't do anything else with it until next weekend...
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

nitro_warrior
Gold
Gold

Post by nitro_warrior » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:56 pm

Looks good, reckon you've added a couple of hundred pounds in value by washing it!!
2 x Fiat Panda 4x4 999cc
VW Type 3 Fast back
Chrysler Voyager

Edinburgh

Hoodoo
No rank

Post by Hoodoo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:06 pm

The enthusiasm of a new project overcomes many obstacles. Good work so far!
Regards,
Hoodoo
'03 Niva 1.7si
Buckley, North Wales.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:42 pm

Suffice to say, it sounds rather healthier after an oil and filter change too!

Awkward thing to change the oil in too...no proper drain plug! Waiting for a new sump plate *with* a drain plug in it to be delivered to simplify things in future...

Worth comparing the noise it's making below to the video in one of my earlier posts!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE5Y4d6YDxU[/youtube]

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:48 pm

That sounds lovely. Great engines those.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Figured I should probably update this post rather than further hi-jacking the "today I mostly..." one!

The decision has been made that the inner sill on the drivers side is to be replaced as a whole, rather than messing around trying to patch it. There have been repairs done there before, so there are already two layers of metal around the jacking point. This is part of the sill assembly you can get from VW. Okay, the part's the best part of £100, but for the days (at least!) of faffing around it will save and the far better quality of the repair, just going to deal with that.

Since the last update here, a lot of cleaning has taken place - the engine bay in particular is now rather more user-friendly after a session with the pressure washer - was getting fed up of the fact that every time you so much as *looked* at the engine you got covered in oil.

I've made the discovery that the offside rear side panel is pretty well completely shot...precisely how I'm going to tackle this has yet to be decided. It's hidden under a metal cover, so appearance isn't really critical, so a plate may just be welded in. I reckon water getting in here may well be partly responsible for the inner sill having dissolved - as that's where the water ends up!

Passengers side where the door runner is ain't pretty, but is at least hole-free.

The drivers side outer sill is good for nothing but scrap, having the appearance and structural integrity of a brown and blue sieve.

The inner sill is even worse - in that it basically isn't there for the most part!

Probably the most annoying bit of rust I've found lately though has to be this. Hole in the nearside rear suspension trailing arm...Grrrr! These parts are both expensive and a complete pig to get off. Offside one at least appears to be sound. However I think it will have to come off to complete repairs around its mounting point on the sill anyway. Great.

This Sunday was mostly spent stripping out the offside interior in preparation for the work on the sill there, and to hunt for any more rot.

Wasn't actually too hard to strip out to be honest. The kitchen is basically just one unit, bolted on to a wooden floor panel that's bolted in a couple of places to the floor and to the wall of the van. Once you've removed them and disconnected the power cable to the water pump, it can just be lifted out of the way. We've not taken it out of the van, just moved it over to the far side as that gives more than enough space for now.

What's this? Signs of prior repairs? Suuurely not...Still, at least we failed to poke any holes in the floorpan, even the crusty looking bits. The damp there is mostly due to the fact that the lower seals have all fallen off the drivers door - it only lets water in though when the van is washed - which it was the day before these photos were taken. It's otherwise weatherproof!

The pillar there is actually far more solid than it looks. Someone's "painted" it with seam-sealer in the past, which is flaking off. It's actually suffering from some surface rust, but is otherwise solid (well, save for the bottom inch or so). My first thought when looking at it was that it would dissolve when touched!

Same area, different angle. There's a plate in the floor where the drain tube from the sink goes, looks like that was welded in when the conversion was done.

This is the area behind the huge holes in the side panel you can see above...This is pretty shot in places too.

The van feels really big with all this stuff out...

I'm pretty certain you shouldn't be able to see daylight here!

Aaaand that's about where we are at the moment. I'm not going to be able to afford to order the sill until payday (A week tomorrow), so not likely to be any significant updates until that arrives.

Oh, and I replaced the VW badge a couple of weeks ago...purely to stop my mother complaining! ...it does look a bit less sorry for itself with it though.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:27 am

Just to give a quick update here.

Work is temporarily on hold here unfortunately. Cashflow in conjunction with an upcoming holiday simply aren't allowing me to get the parts in I need at the moment! I'm not giving up, don't think that! Just that any major updates aren't likely to be happening until after 2nd week in August when I should be able to start ordering some parts in.

Incredibly frustrating to be honest, but it's either pay the bills and eat, or buy bits for the van...Having a roof over my head came first!

Speaking of roofs...Actually attacked the roof on the van (the bit on top, not the easily visible bits at the sides!) with the pressure washer today. Sure I've shaved a couple of inches of height and an appreciable amount of weight off it with the amount of moss and lychen which was blasted off!

List of actual bits I currently need:

[] O/S Inner Sill.
[] O/S Brake drum backing plate.
[] N/S Rear Suspension Swing Arm.
[] N/S Front Door. (probably O/S too, though that one *may* be saveable).
[] Sliding door lower bush (to stop the blasted thing leaping off the van every time I forget to push it inwards while opening it!

Think that's most of the shopping list for now. Sill and suspension arm are the biggest headaches at present though. It's not a massive list, but until I start ticking off items on it, there's not a massive amount I can do! Well, aside from fiddle around with little things. Like sort out the indicator light on the dashboard which decided to stop working a couple of weeks ago for some reason. Not too worried about that though. At least it will let me feel like I've achieved something! Half pondering installing LED illumination to the cluster while I've got it out as well...will see if I can sort the indicator indicator out here first though or if it has to go back into the flat. If it gets taken back into the flat, chances are then the whole thing would become LED based!

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:37 am

Still, will get there eventually!

Things are pretty tight here financially and quite a few bits I need there are fairly pricey.

[] Suspension arm: £85-150.
[] O/S Inner Sill: £100.
[] Brake drum backing place: £125.

So when you have a service due on your supposedly sensible modern car which ends up costing the best part of £200, that puts a bit of a dent in progress for a month or two.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:56 pm

Rain only really stopped for a couple of hours the whole weekend, however I busied myself for a while cleaning up the load bay which was in desperate need of a paint to keep the surface rust at bay which was making it look generally messy. So out with the Hammerite and it's got the first coat on now. The fact that this will normally be buried under a carpet and a mattress does not matter, *I* know that it's scruffy...

Will still need another couple of coats - and the engine bay needs similar treatment (I'll need to remove a couple of bits to do it properly though - hence the fact it's patchy down there).

Also discovered the joys of a car where the engine is inside...means you can do engine-running adjustments/checks while insulated from the weather. Probably wouldn't feel so safe doing that on a water-cooled van where you lack the giant extractor fan that runs the cooling system...

Discovered that the suspension arm mentioned above really IS in a heck of a state, apparently starting to actually come apart...Um...won't be subjecting this to any more force than can be avoided until it's replaced now I think...This snapping would Not Be Fun. No more throwing it around the drive for the benefit of the brakes!

Have discovered something somewhat worrying about the engine however. Looks like I've got a cracked head on the nearside cylinder bank. There had always been an obvious "wheeze" when the engine was cranking over at one point, despite this it ran well and doesn't missfire, so it had never really been fully investigated.

It was obvious however when under load at low revs that there was a "chuffing" noise coming from the engine bay when it was run with the engine cover off at the weekend (first time I'd actually moved the van with that off). It sounds like what you'd expect from a blown exhaust manifold gasket. This in conjunction with what sounds like low compression on one cylinder when turning over...aaaand I started to put two and two together.

Getting my father to drive the van around the drive while I dangled my head over the engine I was able to deduce that the noise seems to be coming from the rear cylinder on the nearside bank (cylinder no 4).

Whipping the plug from that cylinder out revealed this down the side of the plug...

Big black sooty smear as if something's been blowing against it for some time.

Ignore the sooty electrode - the poor thing hasn't had a proper run in years, so I would have been mighty surprised if the plugs had been clean!

I've got a video which has captured the offending noise reasonably well, I can upload that in a bit if people think it may be helpful. Also got one of the engine cranking over with the coil disconnected which captures the low compression and wheeze as the engine cranks over.

If I'm *really* lucky...may be that this plug isn't seating properly for some reason, but it was cleaned up before it went back in, and I couldn't feel any irregularities on the seating face with the tip of my finger.

Couldn't see anything useful, getting a better look will require removing the tinwork surrounding that cylinder bank, and I ran out of time for that today.

I'd say a cracked head seems likely though...any yay/nay suggestions on this bit of deduction?

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:11 pm

It'll not be a cracked head. The heads are made of granite - rarely any problems.

It'll be one or more of the barrel studs has sheared. Common problem right the way up to their more exotic cousins - the air-cooled Porky engines.

Get a torch and inspect round the bottom of the barrels.

Depending where the stud has sheared in can be a doddle or a complete bitch to fix them.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:25 pm

Ah, that does sound possible. Soot on the plug likely just then being from crud getting blown there by the cooling airflow, rather than blowing out of the head at it?

Unfortunately despite having photographs of it from all over (243 of them!) I don't have any of the underside of the nearside bank of cylinders...can't actually remember whether you can even get a clear look at them without removing ducting...

Knowing my luck a stud will have snapped right at the bottom where it goes into the block...fingers crossed this isn't the case!

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:35 pm

Or the plug itself is knackered. Not beyond the bounds of possibility.