VW spark

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
nitro_warrior
Gold
Gold

VW spark

Post by nitro_warrior » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:29 pm

Hello all! As ever I mooch back here when I have some technical question and particularly electrical ones! In this case I'm looking for any suggestions for a new VW spark hunting mission...

After a bit more work i'm ready to fire the engine in my VW type 3 with everything plumbed in correctly. But In between removing the engine and re fitting it I no longer have a spark.

To be honest I've not investigated that hard but was hoping your knowledge could save me some time. The coil is showing +&- 12V at the terminals and gets warm when I crank the engine, but when I jam a bolt in the main HT lead and hold it near the block I get no spark.

The engine has run in the past, Indeed I was horrified to discover that it was the 3rd of March 2009 I last had it running. What have I been doing?! I need to get this finished!
2 x Fiat Panda 4x4 999cc
VW Type 3 Fast back
Chrysler Voyager

Edinburgh

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:00 am

Sounds like your points or something in the dizzy is shorting Donald. Your coil shouldn't get warm.

nitro_warrior
Gold
Gold

Post by nitro_warrior » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:05 am

OK cheers David, well that sounds like the first port of call, check I've got the wires on the coil the right way round and look at the dizzy.
2 x Fiat Panda 4x4 999cc
VW Type 3 Fast back
Chrysler Voyager

Edinburgh

nitro_warrior
Gold
Gold

Post by nitro_warrior » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:30 am

Well after trying to remind myself about the details of doing this all before 2 years ago I investigated today armed with manuals. In short I discovered the points had some oil on the contact surfaces. So after cleaning off the oil, twiddling the dizzy position until it thought about firing, then giving it a boost from some dreaded cold start, and...

...she started!

Need to fit an exhaust I think, it's very loud! The new neighbors picked a good day to have a look round their new house! Well I would need to break them in sooner or later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI6UWqgCj98
2 x Fiat Panda 4x4 999cc
VW Type 3 Fast back
Chrysler Voyager

Edinburgh