Welder (again)

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Welder (again)

Post by daniel.b » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:39 pm

Hi, I'm looking at welders again and wondered if I could run a couple past you guys (sorry) not got a massive budget as I'm a student (Automotive Electronic Engineering at Sheffield Hallam Uni).
Basically I'm needing it for basic body welding no massively structural, (current jobs: wing tops, heater box mounts, drivers foot well, patch in sill (actually this is the first time I've wrote it all down and it sounds like a lot!!)).
I've not done any welding before so I'm going to have a go at teaching myself before I turn to the car. I know a few welders so not too much of a problem.
Anyway this is the first one.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEALEY-100Amp-No- ... 2752wt_905
1990 Riva 1300

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:02 pm

They're fair welders those. The only thing I would say is it looks like that one is gasless only. I'd go for one that's gas/gasless - best of both worlds.

Capacity-wise that'll do pretty much everything you'll ever want to do.

I've a 180amp gas/gasless but they're a lot more money for that current.

daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Post by daniel.b » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks GB,
this one is Gas/Gassless and its close to me so I should be able to pick it up. Only problem is, it says that it can only run on low power settings from a 13amp socket. Will the "low power settings" be enough for my needs?
Thanks again,
Daniel.b
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wolf-Mig-140-Gas- ... 5676739835
1990 Riva 1300

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:58 am

That's perfect.

Where does it say you can only use low current settings on a 13amp plug? That's bollocks anyway.

daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Post by daniel.b » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:54 pm

GadgetBoy wrote:That's perfect.

Where does it say you can only use low current settings on a 13amp plug? That's bollocks anyway.
It says down at the bottom
"Q: will this plug straight into a NORMAL house socket? ie, 13amp house plug? cheers ash
A: This will operate at its lower power levels from a 13 amp house plug (not supplied), however to use at its full power settings we recommend using a 30amp plug and socket supply. Regards, "

Thanks guys I think I'm going for that one, (finally).
Daniel.b
1990 Riva 1300

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Never heard that before. My welder is 180A and there's no such instruction. Used it at full power too.

Have a look at the manufacturers website.

daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Post by daniel.b » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:16 pm

Well that's a relief :lol: . I looked at a few "how to" guides for the range and it doesn't seem to mention it either.
Has any body on here ever had any experience with "Wolf" welders, a few people on the http://www.mig-welding.co.uk complaining about them. They seem to be under the impression that they are Live torch machines but it clearly says in the Advert "Non live Torch". There are also very positive comments so I'm a bit confused.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to spend the extra for a Clarke but at the same time I don't want to buy twice.
Thanks again,
Daniel.b
1990 Riva 1300

excossack
Titanium with furry dice
Titanium with furry dice

Post by excossack » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:22 pm

The guys on Mig-welding.co.uk are very knowledgeable. The guy called WeldEquip on the forum sells welders etc. So maybe worth chat / visit his online shop ?
Regards.
John 2E0DHN

Holly: This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!

nitro_warrior
Gold
Gold

Post by nitro_warrior » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:17 pm

I've occasionally tripped a circuit breaker with my mig on full power and blown a fuse in the plug too. A clarke 140 Turbo Weld if I recall.

But then our set up is far from ideal. The shed is powered off a single long extension lead that runs the lights, radio, etc. And the lights flicker when it's running.
2 x Fiat Panda 4x4 999cc
VW Type 3 Fast back
Chrysler Voyager

Edinburgh

daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Post by daniel.b » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:03 am

I've just looked on "Weldequip Shop" and he sells a "Clarke 130EN MIG Welder" for £255+ £7p&p. Which is more than I have to spend to be honest. Still tempted by the WOLF but ill see what mig-weld say
thanks again,
Daniel.b
1990 Riva 1300

daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Post by daniel.b » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:34 pm

Just about to bid and thought I'd get some experianced views.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clarke-PRO-110E-M ... 35b02dadfb
thanks again,
daniel.b
1990 Riva 1300

jick
Bronze
Bronze

re welder

Post by jick » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:51 pm

yeah that one is ok ,couple things, gas cylinder gonna be to small best find a landlord an get a co2 bottle from him most weld shops exchange them also at that amperage use 6mm wire in an 8mm tip less blockages and easier to get a burn going,if that model takes the larger rolls of wire its a bonus the small rolls dont seem to last that long, then its good earth and plenty practice so should be ok with a niva regards jick
ps, never tie ur boot laces up when your welding
1992 niva 1.6,dodge w200,trident tycoon,dodge50series