Combo engine problems

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Combo engine problems

Post by daniel.b » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi not really general interest but I just wondered if you guys could suggest anything.
About a week ago all the coolant in the engine on my Dad's 'V' reg Vauxhall Combo froze. Without knowing this he started in and he said it made a loud screeching noise so he turned it off. When he looked under the van there was the core plug.
So I spent the weekend under the bonnet fitting a new one. To do this I had to take off the inlet manifold and some of the diesel pipes but they all went back on fine.
All of the coolant that was left in the pipes had thawed so I turned the key and it refused to turn over. I then tried to turn it over by hand and I can turn it back easily enough but it comes to a dead stop at the same point when I try and turn it the correct way.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated
Thanks Daniel.b
1990 Riva 1300

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Not good. Sounds like hydraulic lock. Could be a cracked head and coolant in a cylinder. Whip the glow plugs out and inspect cylinders.

daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Post by daniel.b » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:58 pm

Ah, didn't think of that. Thanks GB if I take the injectors out when I get a chance, what am I looking for? Just fluid in the cylinders? Thinking about it, It did take a lot of coolant I just presumed the system was completely drained.
Thanks again,
Dan
1990 Riva 1300

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:16 pm

Whip the glows out and see if one/some/all are wet. Turn the car over slowly and watch the glow holes (oh er!) - see if anu coolant gets forced out.

daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Post by daniel.b » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:32 pm

SimonAllen wrote:either that, or you have knocked the timing out. The water pump is on the timing belt on these, and if it's frozen too, when he turned it over the pump will have stayed still, and the belt skipped.
Timing did cross my mind but he did start it and it ran, only for the second or two untill he turned it off but would it run at all if it had jumped?

I'm going to have a look on friday (only day im not at uni), but I've already started engine hunting and tbh prices aren't too bad. Cheapest I've found was £225 delivered.
Thanks again,
Dan
1990 Riva 1300

daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Post by daniel.b » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:06 pm

SimonAllen wrote:is it the isuzu diesel engine? if so I have a working 1.7td engine here for sale

It could possibly have ran for a short time yes until the belt went. Well worth taking the covers off to check
hmm turbo would be nice :lol: (although i'll have to see what my dad wants). Yes it is the Isuzu unit. Will it be a straight swap?

If I'm honest, I wouldn't know what I was looking at timing wise :oops: .
Thanks again,
Dan
1990 Riva 1300

daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Post by daniel.b » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:28 pm

That would be good if you dont mind.
Am I right to be so nervous of looking at timing? Its the one thing that I always try and avoid :oops: .
Thanks again
Daniel.b
1990 Riva 1300

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Timing is fine but it's an absolute must to have the correct reference manual.

jiffyman
Bronze
Bronze

Post by jiffyman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:54 pm

is/was it defrosted completely within the engine??

Just a thought... i thought my car was buggered as i tried to start it when frozen.... i thought the same with mine so i just left it after throwing toys out the pram... lol..... came out two weeks later to 'have a look' and find the problem... started up straight away...
1.7i Niva Hussar '84 Jiffy Romahome '68 MKII Mini Cooper

Fotopic went belly up so only website if have is

http://rivieraphotography.co.uk

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Well, you should be able to check whether all the relevant timing marks are aligned easily enough without needing to actually start taking belts off.

Assuming things are intact though - I'd probably change the timing belt anyway - running with a solid water pump won't have done it any good whatsoever!

With the glow plugs out though, it should be possible to turn the engine over by hand (assuming it's not in gear...I may have made that mistake not so long ago!). And damp glow plugs or water escaping the cylinder would point at a blown head gasket or cracked head.

One more reason to have changing of the coolant on the regular maintenance list though!
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Post by daniel.b » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Cheers guys,
Great diagrams simon cheers, I think I finally understand how to set the timing up.
I've joined a Vauxhall forum :lol: to see if they could tell me anything else about the swap. Apparently the engine will go straight in but the 1.7D pump will not fit and if i use one from the 1.7TD it will not work because of the immobiliser. So weather permitting tomorrow ill pull an injector and turn it over by hand, and see what I get. When I'm just checking the timing am i just turning the engine over until cylinder 1 is at TDC then then looking to see if all the timing marks line up.
Thanks again Daniel.b
1990 Riva 1300

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Pull the glow plugs not the injectors and you need to do all four.

daniel.b
Bronze
Bronze

Post by daniel.b » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:58 pm

GadgetBoy wrote:Pull the glow plugs not the injectors and you need to do all four.
Okay thanks again :oops:
Is there any reason that I would be removing a glow plug instead of an injector?
1990 Riva 1300

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:04 pm

It's considerably easier.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:31 pm

What Gadget said!

Just make sure that the metal strap which supplies power to them is kept well away from any earthed metalwork (or better, pull the relay for it) if the ignition's turned on. Otherwise you'll at the very best get a terrifying shower of sparks when it shorts out.

I found that out while doing a compression test on an old Astramax - scared the living daylights out of me.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.