Today I mostly .....

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Tom.
Site Owner

Re: Today I mostly .....

Post by Tom. » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:57 am

24hr plumber 8)
97 Niva 1.7i
2107 Riva Sport
2104 Estate 1500

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:27 pm

Finally having time to actually sit down let's get the summary for today down.

Initially I went to go and finish off what I was three quarters of the way through doing on the van yesterday evening. Within 30 seconds I managed to stab myself under a fingernail with a rough edge of some plywood. I decided that his was a sign from the gods that I should leave the van alone today.

No issue there, given I've a list as long as my arm of things that need done on the Invacar. Oh...and Lada...and Xantia. Need to see if my desktop workstation can be revived too...Let's just concentrate on the Invacar.

Given that the fuel level had dropped below a third of a tank I reckoned that I should have plenty of clearance to pull the fuel gauge sender and flip it around so it was fitted the right way up. For future reference - the cutout in the case that the wiring comes out of should be pointing directly up.

Flipped round and resecured to the tank let's see if the gauge is reading sensibly now...

Much better. I did a dip test, and that's actually reasonably accurate, only reads slightly low - which is exactly what I want, following the gauge I shouldn't get caught short.

Finally got around to re-fitting the number plate light. I've turned the entire garage upside down several times looking for the little metal trim...No idea what I've done with it.

Current plan is to stop looking for it - as soon as I do that I'm sure it will turn up, that's how things usually work here.

Having paid careful attention to both the behaviour I had seen on the last few test runs I'd done and watching a couple of videos on YouTube that another owner has just produced where they have fitted a brand new set of pulleys and a new belt, I had decided that my CVT belt needed to be slackened back off a bit. It seems that if the belt is too tight it tends to make the behaviour when taking up drive very snatchy, and as it pulls the belt too far down into the grooves it also messes up the gearing. This was quite obvious in that the belt was sitting a good inch down from the outer edge of the secondary pulley at rest, rather than level with the outer edge as it should be.

A quick fiddle around with the tension soon had things sitting more sensibly.

The drive system here seems to be very noisy at speed - My best guess is that this is due to the fact that the secondary pulley is really badly pitted due to rust. The primary looks bad in the photos, but feels smooth save for the last 1/2" or so to touch with just some light pitting at the very outer edge. The secondary (to the right in this photo) is in quite a state though.

Time to take to the road for a test run. Once TP got done reminding me that it's far too long since she was last out by blanketing half our neighourhood in smoke when she was first started anyway.

There's no emission test as such required at all for a vehicle of this type and age beyond a visual "doesn't emit huge plumes of smoke at idle" check. TP isn't bad at all on that front, just tends to smoke for a few second or two on startup after sitting for a few days. There's no smoke visible on the overrun when driving so I'm not worried about this being symptomatic of worn valve stem oil seals - think it's more a case of "a really basic engine from the early 1970s" than anything else. I'm just going to keep an eye on it, I've a sneaking feeling that it's something that may well get better with use anyway.

We spent a good half hour or so trundling around our local area, the drive system seeming *far* happier today than on any previous outing, and so far the newly dismantled, cleaned and rebuilt carb has been behaving itself. No bouts of "sneezing" or any carrying on like that were seen other than one or two when she was still cold - and it seems that this happening occasionally is just "something they do" on occasion and shouldn't be worried about so long as it's not excessive. My gut feeling is that it's thanks to the inlet tract being quite long - I think under certain circumstances it takes longer for a richer mixture to arrive actually at the cylinder than it ideally needs to to keep things running exactly right. That's my theory anyway.

I was just thinking about going for an experimental high speed run when I noticed something at the side of the road stacked up next to a skip. I wasn't initially sure what it was - but it was clearly some form of tech from the 60s or 70s - something that my eye is pretty well attuned to spotting. Turned out that there were actually quite a few things there which were of interest. Of course I was in the ideal car for dragging ancient tat back home wasn't I...oh...wait...no, I was in a tiny three wheeler with no luggage compartment of any kind. Well, one of the main things I want to prove is that these little cars can actually manage just fine in day to day life...so she was loaded up!

Think we can officially say she's earning her keep by doing actual work now can't we?

Turns out that you can actually fit quite a decent amount of stuff in there on account of there being no foot controls.

I wasn't actually sure what I had grabbed to be honest...Was vary much a case of purely grabbing what really looked of interest. I may make another run by tomorrow to see if there's anything else worth grabbing hidden a bit deeper. I did speak to the owner of the house and they were fine with me helping myself. The way stuff was stacked neatly next to rather than in the skip very much suggests to me they were hoping someone would adopt some of the now homeless stuff which really was too good to be scrapped.

So what did I grab? Figure some of you might be interested at least given you put up with my ramblings most of the time...

A pair of these old Menvier emergency flood light units for a start.

Doesn't feel like they're fitted with any batteries currently, but with a new set sourced that should be emergency lighting for my garage sorted. That's something I've been meaning to look into for a while - our fuse box is in there so it's kinda sensible to make sure there is some provision in there.

Next thing looks to be one of the oldest 12V DC to 250V AC inverters I've come across so far.

Curious to have a closer look at this, suspect that one this old probably runs at a low enough frequency to ensure it whistles in just the correct way to ensure you want to you've your own eardrums out in ten minutes flat. Curious to take a look at how it's put together and what components have been used. Even if it's not actually used often, could be a nice upgrade to fit to the van too.

Not sure what the next one is yet beyond "DC - probably low voltage - power supply of some sort - possibly battery charger."

I'm guessing the 500uA range on the meter is misleading and it's likely been scavenged from another bit of gear at some point. No makers mark anywhere on it, so this might be a home brew job. Given the age this quite likely involves a selenium rectifier, so testing will definitely be done outdoors! You don't make that mistake twice...

Nearly dismissed this motor under the "don't know what I'd do with it" heading before telling myself to stop being silly, we that it was far too good quality kit to be seeing get binned.

Here's the rating plate for those who know their motors...

For all it looks rough, if you give it a spin by hand it takes a good thirty seconds to stop, so the bearings seem fine.

This is what I initially spotted poking out beside the skip which made me look closer and saw the rest of the stuff.

It's a teeny tiny compressor...Beyond that I've nothing. As with anything from this era though it's just a really nice...thing. I'll have a run by there again tomorrow and see if there's a receiver to go with this, though I doubt it. Will be curious to see whether it works. The plastic fitting on the outlet suggests it has been in relatively recent use though, and turning it over by had seems to suggest it is pumping.

A couple of reels of proper old school solder were grabbed as it's always useful to have around.

Last thing I spotted though - literally as I was initially pulling off - was something I've been keeping an eye out for for a while. Nice proper old-school pump action oil can.

That will look right at home in the Invacar regular maintenance tool kit.

Having obviously put my actual plans momentarily on hold when spotting all this stuff and dragging it back to my garage, my schedule was a little behind. I decided that I'd get one more thing ticked off before calling it a day - the high speed test run I had been about to do before I distracted myself by spotting interesting tat at the side of the road. Given the drive belt had been adjusted and the carb was a lot happier I wanted to see if she was capable of handling main road speeds now without excessive drama or any bits falling off.

An ideal day for that, as unsurprisingly the grid roads in MK are pretty quiet on a Sunday after the shops have all closed. First three attempts to get up to any real speed were thwarted by almost immediately catching up with and getting stuck behind modern traffic trundling around the 60mph roads at well below 40. Eventually though I did get a clear run on the stretch alongside our area - and decided to see if 60 was something that could actually happen.

Yes, yes it is! She will definitely do 60 (well, indicated anyway!), even within the relatively short run between our side road and the next roundabout, and on a slight uphill gradient. Time was against me today though given the amount of it I had wasted earlier, so I had to wrap it up there. Sixty isn't nearly as terrifying as some would have you believe - incredibly noisy, but didn't feel as though I was staring death in the eye. Only thing which makes it feel a bit strained at the moment is the low frequency vibration from the drive system, which I think is largely down to the rust on the secondary CVT pulley.

Had to do a bit of Automotive Tetris to get her back in the garage, so here's a photo of TP looking triumphant before retiring for the day having both hauled a load of stuff home and then managed to safely reach the posted speed limit.

Nicely showing off the hubcaps donated by a friend recently too.

Have to wonder, is that the first time that she has ever actually travelled at that sort of velocity under her own power? You do have to wonder with a vehicle like this!

Did get a fantastic double-take from the driver of the first Prius taxi I got stuck behind though when he saw me in his rear view mirror...

I'd say that's quite a decent day really. Will get the Megger out tomorrow and if they pass the initial tests, maybe see if any of this stuff works...Then inevitably make another run past to see if there's anything else worth nabbing that I can justify given the limitations on space I have to play with. Today's lot seemed far too good to just leave sitting there though.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 96 Citroen Xantia Activa, 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 73 AC Model-70.

Andrew353w
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Andrew353w » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:34 pm

This epic saga is fascinating and I find now find myself logging on every day for the next instalment! Regarding the C.V.T., as an experienced Daf owner & repairer, may I offer a few thoughts & ask few questions?

Does the C.V.T. system on the Invacar work as it does on a Daf i.e., a primary pulley, the diameter of which is controlled by vacuum pressure from the manifold and by centrifugal weights and a secondary pulley, passive, but spring loaded in the closed position by a very strong spring?

Daf primary and secondary units use ATF for lubrication and it might benefit the system if the ATF is drained & replaced. Coincidentally, your "roadside finds" will help here, as the best way to top up a Daf primary & secondary unit once you've drained the old lubricant is with one of those old-school oil cans, filled with A.T.F.! Changing the ATF makes the transmission much quieter, too!

Belt tension is critical. Dafs run best with a small gap between the secondary unit pulleys when they're at rest. In this way the belts are always under tension and are less likely to slip.

An old belt will be noisy and it could be a sign it's going to fail soon. If you're unsure how old the belt is, I'd change it. The last time I changed the belts on my 33 I noticed how much thinner the old ones were, compared to the new ones!

The belt looks like a Daf drive belt & I'd be interested in knowing the specification of it.

Keep up the reports-I love 'em!
Major Denis Bloodnok, Indian Army (retired) coward and bar

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:50 pm

The CVT setup on here (made by Salisbury) is entirely mechanical. It is literally engine in at one end and drive out at the other. No vacuum, no cables or anything. There's a combination of centrifugal weights and springs on the primary pulley, the secondary is purely spring loaded I believe, that and the natural pull of the belt trying to climb the pulleys depending on load is how it all works.

There's no lubrication or coolant involved other than EP90 in the gearbox itself & final drive. Belt wear is measured by looking at the width on both edges, and the one on here appears to be brand new.

Belt tension here seems to be a bit of an interesting game in that it appears that there is intended to be a bit of slip when moving off to smooth things out. If it's too tight it will cause massive judder as you move off. ... likewise if it's slightly too lose you'll tend to get a similar issue.

The fact that my secondary pulley is so pitted it's not able to allow that to happen properly, so I think a properly smooth take up of drive is currently beyond me. I do have a bit of an idea of how to help things out, just need to have a look and see if I can do it in a manner that doesn't risk me losing fingers.

Figured today I would mostly have a nose at my finds from yesterday. Compressor up first as it was probably the thing that I had the most immediate use for.

Immediately noticed some "quality" wiring where the junction box originally would have been...

However it had most likely been working fine like that for decades so I'm not about to worry about it until the thing has proven itself - if it does I'll obviously sort it properly before it gets installed in whichever corner of the garage it winds up living in.

Doing first tests on stuff like this is where this thing really comes in handy.

For those not familiar with their test equipment this is a Megger. Well, technically it's a high voltage insulation tester - Megger is a brand name. On your average household multimeter when measuring resistance it will apply less than five volts to the test subject. This uses 500V to do that - so can spot where you have issues with insulation that is breaking down at higher voltages, especially often where damp is concerned.

You learn very quickly to keep your hands out of the way as it doesn't half sting if you get zapped by it.

It tested perfectly and the resistance through the windings looked reasonable for a motor of this size. There was oil in the compressor (it actually has a teeny tiny dipstick) so seemed time to see if it would work.

Here's the verdict:

Yes, and it's astonishingly quiet. Certainly won't be a chore to have it burbling away in the garage now and then. No knock from the bottom end at all which is nice. Hooking it up to the only high pressure gauge I have to hand, it almost immediately pegged the thing at 200psi...so it definitely can pump a decent head. The fact that there was absolutely no change in speed of the motor at that pressure seems to suggest that the motor is somewhat over rated for the job.

Not going to be running air tools with it, but hooked up to a small receiver and pressure switch (probably still have one from back when I used to help out with some HVAC stuff) it should be just dandy for inflating tyres, clearing stuff out of bolt holes and blowing water off cars after a wash. Stuff like that.

Happy with that.

Number two was the other random motor that I grabbed. If it's good I'm thinking workbench mounted polisher/grinder. This one is free of any dodgy wiring at least.

Hooking it up really surprised me...Very brief hum, then near silence, just a really quiet hiss from the brushes. Turning power back off, it kept going for nearly a full minute before it stopped.

Now that's a nice set of bearings! You just don't get quality like that on a general purpose motor these days. Will definitely need to find that a purpose.

The inverter was up next. Really wanted to see what was in the box, so the lid was pulled. I wasn't expecting it to be exactly packed full...but I wasn't expecting this little in there!

Hooking it up and we had a loud buzz and this on the output.

Not surprised it's high given there was no load connected. Reckon this may well take up residence in the van...not likely to have a huge need for mains when off grid, bit nice to have the option.

The oil can also works a treat, which is no surprise.

I had a couple of errands to run, and with a bit of confidence from yesterday's test I decided that TP should be my transport for the day...so she went and confused people at Sainsbury's again.

Yes...that is a Mazda 2 I'm parked next to...the Invacar is that tiny.

On the way home she was fuelled up actually at a filling station for the first time in at least 18 years.

This literally brought the filling station to a standstill for a few minutes as the cashier felt it was necessary to come and take a look as he had no idea what it was! Only 12mpg indicated...but there are at least a couple of hours static running , plus the carb was playing up for a while so no surprise there really!

Sadly no video of the high speed run as the camera didn't record it properly for some reason...will try again next time I get a chance.

Seems to be running better still...no further fuel leaks from the carb, no oil leaks from the dipstick etc... can't complain. Hopefully she will keep getting better with use.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 96 Citroen Xantia Activa, 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 73 AC Model-70.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:35 pm

This turned up this morning.

So shall be able to get the gas system rebuilt shortly. Figured just buying a new one was easier than faffing around trying to get the ancient one cleaned up and sealed properly.

The downpour that we have had overnight has done a good job of highlighting that rainwater is still getting into the one corner of the van.

Still not entirely sure exactly where the point of entry is. However for the purpose of elimination of a possibility I have refitted and properly sealed the high level tail lights (though obviously this will make myself more MOT prep work as I will need to wire them up now). Not actually a bad idea anyway as one limitation of the of the factory lights in the bumper is that they aren't visible from the side at all - the little orange reflector is just that, it's not a repeater. Plus given the fact that so many drivers seem to be in a complete daze addition of extra lights can only be a good thing.

I have also re-bedded one of the bits of sealant just below one of the upper weatherstripping which looked a bit suspect. If this still doesn't do it I will just pull all of the strips and trim off the entire corner of the van, clean back and rebuild everything from scratch. Messy job but it will probably be needed.

Have also added a little sticker to the rear window showing support for a friend of a friend of a friend who has been going through some exceptionally hard times over in the US.

I usually go great lengths to avoid putting stickers on my cars - though this is for a good cause, plus I think you can get away with a bit more on a camper without stuff looking silly. I think these little guys are cute anyway...

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:14 pm

Today has been a rubbish day to be honest. Mentally I have good days and bad days these days (and I have my doubts that the group therapy session that the NHS have offered me - after I make it past the waiting list which is apparently around 10 weeks at this point - will help with that). Today has been a bad day, so finding energy to do anything has been a real struggle.

I did manage to get the Lada over to the Magic Hand car wash over on Monk's Way for a bit of a clean up. Felt kind of guilty taking it to them in that state, but needs must. They had kit far more likely to shift that gunk than I did.

Did a decent enough job too. Couple of bits missed, but given the state it was in I'm really not complaining - especially as she really needs a polish anyway.

They always do a really good job of the interior too.

Need to attack the engine bay with an air line to get a whole load of pine needles out of the scuttle etc.

Oh - completely at randomly I spotted a copy of this in an eBay listing yesterday...

Have been chasing it around the van since I got it trying to work out where on earth it lived. Turns out the answer is underneath the toilet cassette - intention I guess is to help prevent the tank sagging in the middle when it has 20 litres of liquid in.

Andrew353w
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Andrew353w » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:54 am

Random thought re: the C.V.T. system fitted to the Invacar: If you're able, would you send me any dimensions you have regarding belt size, pulley diameter etc., as I'm wondering if a Daf 46 system (that was the only Daf to utilise a single belt transmission) would fit. The Daf 46 engine size is 850cc, and the extra assistance of the vacuum control on the C.V.T. might just might give a smoother change-up and down, together with a higher top speed (whether this is advisable I leave to your discretion...)

Just a thought....
Major Denis Bloodnok, Indian Army (retired) coward and bar

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:18 am

Andrew353w wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:54 am
Random thought re: the C.V.T. system fitted to the Invacar: If you're able, would you send me any dimensions you have regarding belt size, pulley diameter etc., as I'm wondering if a Daf 46 system (that was the only Daf to utilise a single belt transmission) would fit. The Daf 46 engine size is 850cc, and the extra assistance of the vacuum control on the C.V.T. might just might give a smoother change-up and down, together with a higher top speed (whether this is advisable I leave to your discretion...)

Just a thought....
I'll see if I can get a set of drawings for the drive system together for you shortly.

Given the stock system is apparently good for an 82mph top speed, I don't think there's really much call for speed improvements! The system works pretty well when set up right and seeing how well it's managing even in the current state speaks well of durability.

-- -- --
I was quite pleased with how the Invacar behaved when I last had her out. So when I had a local trip lined up this afternoon if obviously made sense to take her rather than have the Activa drink another half gallon of fuel.

While only a couple of miles across the town centre, this would be the furthest from home that I had ventured so far. Did she make it?

Of course she did. Place only opened a couple of years ago, so I doubt there has ever been an Invacar in that car park until today.

Had to swing by the pharmacy on the way home, which left me the opportunity to watch out the window for several minutes watching people walking past TP and be totally baffled by what they were seeing.

The size comparison to a Skoda Roomster is somewhat comical.

Back home an hour or so later and a milestone has been reached.

Those of you with far better memories than me will recall that the odometer read 11353 miles - the first additional mile was done attached to a drill when the engine change was underway as I wanted to confirm that the odometer worked, so call it 11354. So at close of play today that's 51 miles covered since the previous keeper rescued her from that field.

She definitely earned her keep today...proper week's shopping onboard.

Didn't miss a beat either, so as a reward for good behaviour I got a small but important detail seen to.

Finally put the badge back on. Not quite sure whether this will make people more or less confused when they see her now.

A few shopping bags have now been assigned to the car for future shopping trips.

Which I know I will never remember to take into the shop with me because I never do.

I reckon based on my experience today that bungee may get stuffed in one of the doors to help keep stuff still as the floor mats combined with shopping bags appear to result in zero friction whatsoever...so my shopping slid all over the floor and was generally an utter pain on the way back.

The carb I am glad to report seems to be reasonably happy now. Only grumble with it is that the choke cable has come off again, but given she lives in the garage that's hardly a major issue, I'll sort it at some point.

The only recurring gripes are the grumbling drivetrain - which I'm pretty sure at this point is down to pitted pulleys (I do have a plan in mind to see about cleaning them), and the dead travel in the brakes. That's better than it was but still needs improving ideally.

Now we have passed the magic (and utterly arbitrary) 50 mile mark I will probably drop the oil and change the filter this weekend as if there's gunk floating around in there, it has probably been washed into the sump by now, time to clean it out.

Really do need to do something about the front end bodywork now too, especially given the car seems to be getting into a vaguely usable state now...the duct tape and my laughable first attempts at fibreglass need to go...I can do a lot better job of that now.

Hoping that this weekend I will have the opportunity to get a few more miles covered. Would be nice to get a photo of her somewhere other than another underground car park!

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:54 pm

Encouraged by the success of the let couple of runs I figured it was time to start working on getting TP looking slightly less like an escapee from Scrapheap Challenge. The huge chunk of duct tape on the offside front had to go.

While I was at it I finally got some matting down over the huge crack in the offside rear quarter with a view to actually tidying it up at some point.

On the subject of cosmetics I also figured that it made sense to get the infill strip in the gutter put back in. The original one had turned to plastic so atomised when I removed it. However I have tens of metres of the stuff for the van, so nicking a couple of feet wasn't an issue.

This actually does a lot more to tidy the car up than I expected - which shouldn't have surprised me given the visual impact of doing the same on the van.

The original fire extinguisher was a huge point of concern for people. As a result I have made the decision to swap it for a modern one.

It's a shame that whoever fitted the original extinguisher just drilled holes in the vehicle build plate. I will probably move the extinguisher at some point as I really don't like it there. It looks messy and gets in the way whenever you want to get the service hatch out. I reckon in the footwell on the opposite side of the car to the washer bottle would be better. Easier to grab in a hurry too I reckon.

This lot done it was time to get some more miles done. My aim for today was to get ten miles done in one run...doing the math when I got home...nine miles! Blast! Oh well, just have to try again tomorrow!

First step was Halfords to pick up some more paint as I ran out halfway through throwing some colour on the bodywork I had just done.

Man this thing is tiny.

Unsurprisingly she generated a bit of a crowd and several people took photos while I was walking back across the car park.

Given she seemed to be behaving pretty well I decided to take a slightly roundabout route home to give me the opportunity to get a couple of photos somewhere slightly more photogenic.

Got slightly confused looks from the guy who runs the burger van in that car park...

Back home with more paint I was able to throw some on the bodywork I had just repaired.

Definitely getting there. Really looking forward to getting her out of the garage for some time on the road tomorrow.

Backing the van back into the drive (I have to do some automotive Tetris to get to/from the garage) the exhaust suddenly became louder - didn't take long to discover why.

Interesting. Especially interesting in that the engine feels far more responsive now...so I do wonder (especially in light of where the silencer is split) if something has collapsed in there causing excessive back pressure. Will see what I can do about this shortly. On the plus side, having separated this join will make getting the main silencer off though. It's heavy enough to be almighty awkward even so.

Hopefully tomorrow will include confusing even more people by driving around in a tiny blue car.
Andrew353w wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:54 am

Just a thought....
With a bit of luck, the service manual for the Model 70 should be available nfor you to grab via this link to my server. Doesn't have all the dimensions, but there are some good photos showing the rather odd layout of the transmission which would make it tricky to modify I think.

Neil Chowney
Administrator

Post by Neil Chowney » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:01 pm

Spent the best part of the last two days replacing the EGR valve and cooler on the Freelander. You literally have to take everything off the engine to get at it.

... and it didn't cure the problem.....
Neil Chowney
Land Rover Freelander 2 SE
Trek 7.3
Cube Agree HTC Di2
Reeboks

Argue ye not with dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well on toast........

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:29 pm

I don't recall Freelanders being the most service friendly vehicles. Not as bad as changing the thermostat on one of the V6 engined 800 series Rovers where it was buried in the V of the engine...I called whoever had come up with that idea some choice words that day.

-- -- --

Not a big report from today.

One tool I had been missing for a while was my little sander - which finally surfaced today hiding in a box in the shed. Not the foggiest idea how it got there, but it's back where it lives now.

Main reason I had been looking for this was so that I could get working on smoothing out the surface of my newly made bodywork. As you can see looking closer, it does need it!

Not going for a Rolls-Royce mirror finish here, but hoping I will be able to get it reasonably flat with a bit of work. The above image shows just some of the high spots sanded a bit.

Quite clear with a very quick spray of paint that even a few minutes of work has improved things.

Unfortunately while I found the sander - I did not find the sanding discs to go with it.

Of course because it's Sunday and in England everywhere was closed by the time I got to working on car stuff, so that will need to wait until tomorrow. I still keep getting caught out by that...

The latter part of the afternoon was spent changing the obviously fried capacitors on my old PC motherboard...

Full gas tank in soldering iron, solder present, flux pen present, caffeine present... let's go.

Twenty minutes later the offending caps were swapped out.

Did this resolve the problem? Of course not. Went back and changed all of them in the power supply section of the board in addition to the ones that were visibly cooked, still nothing. It appears that there's a deeper problem as there is still a lot of current being drawn from the additional 12V ATX connector, yet absolutely no signs of life from anything. I have a sneaking suspicion that the CPU isn't even running given the lack of heat being produced... I've tried...but it's time for a new board now methinks. Twelve years ain't a bad run really by today's standards.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:15 pm

Every time I do any work on an exhaust I swear that it will be the last time. Today was no exception.

The van's exhaust consists of four main assemblies.

[] Manifold, downpipe and Flexi.
[] Expansion box.
[] Silencer.
[] Ridiculously long tail pipe.

Both the expansion box and silencer one mine are stuffed. The silencer has a heap of holes in and the expansion box suffers from a broken hanger in addition to one of the baffles having come loose so it buzzes like crazy at idle. Pretty sure the main silencer had collapsed internally as well, making the system far more restrictive than it should be.

The expansion box came loose without much protest. The silencer on the other hand...

After roughly two hours of swearing, hitting things with hammers, heating stuff with a blowtorch then burning my fingers on it, I finally wrestled the main silencer off.

I really want to get a better designed stainless system fitted with the tailpipe venting to the side of the van well clear of any air vents, but may just have to settle for a stock system until the MOT is out the way.

The Invacar was out and about again today, confusing people in central MK.

She does a pretty competent job of being a local runaround it seems.

Having a check over when back though it looks like something has been touching the sidewall of the nearside rear wheel.

Having a quick look didn't reveal anything obvious, so I'll pull the wheel off tomorrow to check. At least there should hopefully be an obvious mark to show where it's been happening. Most likely a loose bit of bodywork that thirty seconds with a drill and rivet gun can fix. Will report back when I've had a chance to fully investigate. Other than that she's continuing to run well so far...need to take a brave pill and venture more than a mile or two from home soon...

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Investigation this afternoon in the one hour of actual time I had was for the rub mark I had spotted on the offside tyre inboard sidewall.

Pulling the wheel off made it pretty clear that something had been touching, albeit not particularly hard.

Looking in at the wheel arch helpfully there was a nice clear witness mark where the tyre had been rubbing.

Turns out that the whole body moulding there had a good 3/4" of wobble because the tiny 1/4" bolt (no washer used on it) at the top of the wheel tub meant to hold everything in place had pulled through the body. This affected pretty much everything from the rear of the door to the tail light.

I drilled three holes to the rail behind there and using nice big washers riveted the back of the wheel tub to the chassis. Whole area is rock solid now, and it looks like we have more clearance. While I had the wheel off the ground I also took the opportunity to adjust the handbrake again as now fifty miles have been covered the shoes have bedded in a bit as you would expect.

One thing I had noted on all my previous high speed runs had been a very noticeable smell of hot rubber, will be interesting to see if this turns out to be the culprit rather than the CVT belt that I had automatically been blaming...doubt I'm lucky enough for it to be the cause of the vibration at speed too, that's more down to the condition of my secondary pulley I reckon.

Given that they never seem to have used a load spreading washer on that bolt it was only a matter of time until it failed, so I'll be taking a look at the nearside shortly to try to ensure the same thing doesn't happen there. Despite the damage to the wing there it is solid though, so it seems likely that someone has already done a repair in the past...

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Having a closer look at the area where the bodywork was originally rubbing on the wheel (having figured out I could use my phone to get a better look) shows we now have reasonable clearance.

Taking a look at the opposite side shows that it seems to be fine too.

I will probably add a couple of rivets to this side though as there's quite a bit of wobble there, given it's a five minute job it just seems to make sense and is likely to help prevent issues in the future.

Never really got a decent photo of the badge when it was refitted a couple of days ago so fixed that today.

Yes I do realise how utterly pointless details like that are given the cosmetic state of the car!

In honesty though the badge is far safer on the car, it would have been very likely to disappear into one of the bottomless boxes of bits otherwise, probably never to be seen again.

Had a few errands to run today so they were of course an excuse to get the Invacar out.

Looks comically tiny in the B&Q car park...

Next up I needed a few things from Toolstation...this however involved having to brave the dual carriageways. This was nowhere near as terrifying as you might have expected and we arrived in one piece.

Sorting the wheel arch has definitely noticeably reduced vibration at speed so the wheel rubbing definitely played a part there. She's still not exactly refined, but far better... there's also no longer an obvious burning rubber smell entering the cabin as soon as speeds head north of 30mph.

On the way home though we did see further signs of the drive system not being entirely happy with life. Any real attempt to get above 45mph resulted in obvious slippage in the drive system with it shunting between "gears" so I just dropped to 40 and took it easy back home.

I'm not really surprised by this given that save for a couple of experimental belt tension adjustments I've not touched the drive. The secondary pulley in particular has a badly pitted surface...so I'm going to pull them both off tomorrow and give them as thorough a clean as I can with the equipment I have to hand. I'm also going to give the belt a careful check over and will replace it with one of the spares I have in stock. For all they're old the rubber seems to be in perfect condition.

Given I know new pulleys and belts are readily available at not unreasonable prices I'm not going to persevere too far beyond giving things a good clean and resetting the belt tension (which after 60 miles may well need attention anyhow, any further issues and I'll just get replacements on order.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:18 pm

Only thing I have learned in the last couple of days:

I need to buy an impact wrench.

I've been trying to get the CVT pulleys off the Invacar. The bolts holding them on are utterly disinterested in moving. I decided to call time when I managed to lift the car onto two wheels at the other end of the breaker bar.

Being honest it's a tool I've been wanting to add to the toolbox for a while - especially since the van arrived given that the wheel bolts on that are torqued up to some utterly ridiculous level and there are five on each wheel.

This is just going to be an expensive month no matter what I do! Got tax for the Activa, exhaust for the van, MOT for the van (argh...still need to work out why the cab marker lights don't work)...oh...and it needs a tank of diesel too.