Today I mostly .....

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Zelandeth
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Today I mostly .....

Postby Zelandeth » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:34 pm

After a great weekend up north, back to normal life again.

Having finally managed to secure the correct slave cylinder for the clutch on the Skoda I set about getting that changed over today. One of those very rare cases of it actually being as simple to do as it really should be. Can't have taken more than 20 minutes from start to finish, including bleeding and adjusting the clutch.

I've ordered a new thermostat to hopefully resolve the intermittent - and difficult to replicate - overheating issue that it's shown on a couple of occasions. The 'stat wasn't done when I changed the head gasket as the seller I'd bought one had sent the wrong one. Given the behaviour I'd seen I suspect that it's sticking.

Just need to finish giving it the once over and throw the new thermostat in, then will get it booked in for an MOT. Then we can start thinking about making arrangements to get the swap done - the current owner of the Xantia Activa is going to be taking ownership of the Skoda while I move back into the world of Citroen ownership with their Activa.

Have to admit that I haven't half missed having one since I sold my old TD on a year or so back.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate, 89 Saab 900i, 09 Peugeot 107 Verve, 87 Skoda 120LX, 85 Sinclair C5.

hoverfrog
Pink furry dice

Postby hoverfrog » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:55 pm

...did day 3 of Niva restoration with the retired Renault mechanic! He's a bit of a perfectionist, so this is not a Hoverfrog "it looks better than it did so that's Ok!" kindof deal - it's the real thing...
Sorry, Tom, that I haven't (yet) asked for any parts, I was somewhat peed-off with the French post people that kept your/my parcel at Roissy for so long... but it has to be said that parts bought from you 'do the distance', which can't be said for other suppliers :( (you wouldn't have a starter motor in stock would you? I'll pay for FedEx, at least they deliver!)

Tomorrow is day 4 of restoration, I'm on sanding duty again, sigh, I'm going to have the DTs for at least a month! :D

hoverfrog
Pink furry dice

Postby hoverfrog » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:32 pm

...did day 5 of restoration with the 'retired' Renault mechanic! "On s'amuse bien" - roughly translated that means we're having 'fun'! Actually we are, we don't see the hours pass :)
I'm still on sanding duty - he does the welding and the angle-grinder, and every time I sand an area that was angle-ground, welded, angle-ground and then filled he comes and puts another layer of filler on it!
Now, I know that Nivas have a soul - but also a bad sense of humour! This Niva is going to look like new when we've finished - but then it's probably going to throw a tantrum and we'll have to take the engine apart... best not say that in front of it as that might give it ideas!
My neighbour's hangar will soon be on the tourist maps, as people keep just 'dropping in' to see the transformation - my neighbour has never been so popular! Finished the week on a high note, François cut off the old wing (what was left of it) and put a new one in place. Not welded yet, but we start again on Monday :)

Zelandeth
Platinum
Platinum

Postby Zelandeth » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Sounds like you're making great progress there Mary, really interested to see and hear how things go.

If you're already doing this much work on it, I'd almost be tempted to pull the engine out. Really improve access to the inner wings etc, makes life easier if you're wanting to do any paint around there - and while it's on the stand give the engine a once-over. Clean it up and paint it up so it's as nice as the rest of the car. Not sure if there are any major preventative tasks that are really needed on these engines save for checking out the timing chain tensioner... that's easy enough with it in the car too though.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate, 89 Saab 900i, 09 Peugeot 107 Verve, 87 Skoda 120LX, 85 Sinclair C5.

hoverfrog
Pink furry dice

Postby hoverfrog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:05 pm

I put photos on Facebook every day we work on the Niva, "Mary Lucienne Waller" is me!
Yes, we've made a lot of progress - but there's a long way to go yet! We re-start Monday morning...
For now the engine turns like clockwork, not going to touch it (again!) - this is a 1986 1600, I bought it for spares then fixed it, and it is so nice to drive! Reminded me why I love Nivas :D

Zelandeth
Platinum
Platinum

Postby Zelandeth » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:09 pm

Ah, sadly I'm one of those people who refuses to touch Facebook. First thing it did on my grabbing an account there (mainly so nobody can use it to pretend to be me - have played that game before), was to start trying to reconnect me with former school classmates. I've never communicated with any of these people any way other than face-to-face, nor given Facebook permission to access my contacts, information on where I went to school, grew up etc...nor even my actual name. ...yet it still immediately started to try to reconnect me with a bunch of people I've spent the last 15 years trying to forget as they made my life a living hell when I was at school.

It's frightening what they can work out from an email address it seems...as that's all they've got!

hoverfrog
Pink furry dice

Postby hoverfrog » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:03 pm

funny you should say that, as I have had calls from 2 UK firms concerning UK pensions for people who live abroad recently. I asked how they'd found me, and apparently they have a team of researchers who scour FB and other social media looking for ex-pats! Somewhat scary!

On a better note, we're making progress with my Niva! Nothing quite like an overgrown forklift truck to put the Niva in the air leaving all the space around it free for us to work on it :D

Zelandeth
Platinum
Platinum

Postby Zelandeth » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Thermostat on the Skoda changed. I'd planned to put the original water pump back on as it's now been proven to be nothing to do with the overheating problems - however gave up on that for now on account of it being *really* well stuck to its housing. So decided to ignore that, put things back together (including a half hour fight with that 2" long bit that connects the water pump to the heater hose return line.

Given it another quick once over today prior to the MOT tomorrow - just need to pick up another set of wiper blades then we should be good to go...then it's fingers crossed time.

Will also be taking the Activa over for the test as well, so that will be my first time actually even sitting in that car...Not expecting any problems with that though knowing the gent who owns it and his attention to detail!

Return to “General Interest”