Today I mostly .....

Any topics of general interest (not lada related), post them here.
Zelandeth
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Today I mostly .....

Postby Zelandeth » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Today I mostly...

Attempted (and failed) to fix the wonky driver's door on my Riva.

Usual problem, spot weld holding the lower hinge block to the door frame has come away. Guessing it's common given I had this happen on the passenger door on my Niva and offside rear door on my previous Riva.

One of those things that I would have a couple of options if the door was off the car, managed to bolt it together on the Niva which held just fine for three years before I sold the car. However I don't have access to do that without removing the door. ...Which I can't do because somebody has tried to unbolt it and munched the heads on the screws holding the hinges onto the pillar.

Current plan is to revive my welder and re-weld it. Won't be pretty, but I should be able to get enough of a bead from the top and bottom of the bracket to the door frame. Awkward but will be getting it cleaned up first - I foresee much faffing about with wet and dry paper taped to the end of a screwdriver because the window runner is in the way.

The windows work just fine in this car too, so I'm sure not about to go dismantling that assembly!

Before the door card goes back on, will be taking the opportunity to improve on the (frankly laughable) factory rust proofing of the door as well. Gives me a good reason to do the other three and the hatch as well...The top of the door isn't even painted...No wonder they rot out there!
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate, 89 Saab 900i, 09 Peugeot 107 Verve, 87 Skoda 120LX, 85 Sinclair C5.

hoverfrog
Pink furry dice

Postby hoverfrog » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:20 pm

... chain-sawed for 5 hours, went back&forth to the déchéterrie (we're no longer allowed to have bonfires - "not écolo", don'tchaknow!").
2 of the 3 trees that fell in the last storm are dealt with, the last one is bigger and my bigger chainsaw didn't want to play today - probably because I used it to cut the giant Pampas down from 3 metres to 30cms before attacking it (it being the pampas!) with an axe. Have a (much) bigger axe, just need to get it as sharp as I can get the small axe.
Doh! Even when re-reading that sounds bizarre, but that's life here! :)

Aaron
Bronze
Bronze

Postby Aaron » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:09 pm

Tidied out, vacuumed and washed My Lada

It has been used as an ad hoc shed for a few years, now it looks like a car again. I even applied the vacuum cleaner to the engine bay. Removed all the dried leaves, cobwebs and rust flakes. Removed the mouse nest from the boot. Washed off the mossy green finish to bring it back to Blueish. Also freed off a seized brake. And took some photos. Actually I took the photos before cleaning it out. Also sprayed some WD40 onto all the seizing up hinges and door catches. Tried to start the engine - a bit optimistic given that I hadn't got a fully charged battery and she probably has no fuel, but it did turn over nicely.
Aaron, Grantham <br>
Riva1600SLX (my dinged baby)
Citroen (surprisingly quite good) C3
Peugeot (it's only for towing the caravan) 406

Zelandeth
Platinum
Platinum

Postby Zelandeth » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:01 pm

Well, yesterday anyway...I mostly spent most of the day driving to the dentist, having a tooth pulled, driving home again, followed by hiding in a corner trying to pretend the world didn't exist. That was quite possibly the most physically unpleasant experience of my life to date.

Had hoped to make progress on the EFi project this week, but time has conspired against me so far.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate, 89 Saab 900i, 09 Peugeot 107 Verve, 87 Skoda 120LX, 85 Sinclair C5.

hoverfrog
Pink furry dice

Postby hoverfrog » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:40 pm

...realised that I was putting my seatbelt on _before_ starting the 1600, now my daily driver. :D
Only Niva drivers will appreciate what that means :D

Dentist on Friday - front tooth coming out, but at least I won't be Nanny McPhee any more!!!

Zelandeth
Platinum
Platinum

Postby Zelandeth » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Finally got around to fitting the wheel centres to the rear wheels of the Riva.

Has only taken me *counts* five months to remember to do that...

Going to try to get to a show on Sunday, so will need to give the car a good clean up tomorrow...

Zelandeth
Platinum
Platinum

Postby Zelandeth » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Discovered upon starting today that the alternator has lost interest in charging the battery.

Bother.

hoverfrog
Pink furry dice

Postby hoverfrog » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Zelandeth wrote:Discovered upon starting today that the alternator has lost interest in charging the battery.

Bother.

it's funny how one day the alternator works then the next it just doesn't want to play any more :(

Today I picked twice my weight in strawberries and weeded the courtyard and flower bed. Having spent Saturday with the brush cutter (veg garden & field edges) and Sunday weeding the veg garden - my compost heaps are over-flowing!!!
Finally finished cutting back the pampas grass next door - the enormous one is razed to the ground and the other 4 are trimmed to a foot. I love my brushcutter! (especially when it has the 'spinning blades of death' fitted instead of the namby-pamby line ;) )

Zelandeth
Platinum
Platinum

Postby Zelandeth » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:23 pm

Hoping that it's just a case of the brushes being stuck in the holders as happened to the Saab rather than something more terminal. I don't recon that things will have been helped by the (extensive) oil leak from the rocker cover or water leaks from every single hose clip that hasn't yet been changed. Might be the time to do that actually as the pipe that runs underneath the exhaust manifold for one might well be easier to get to from underneath...

What a mess...

Also, seriously...how many bolts did they really think they needed to hold the undertray in...it's better attached than the entire front crossmember on the Peugeot 107 in my fleet!

Also really glad it waited until today, as we were out at a classic car show yesterday, so I'd have been well peeved if it had decided to play up yesterday morning.

Zelandeth
Platinum
Platinum

Postby Zelandeth » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:25 pm

Spent most of the afternoon larking about in London...Realising two or three hours too late that the one thing I *really* should have done was apply sunscreen. I suspect that I may have got slightly crispy.

Even thought about it when I arrived at the venue, then totally forgot about it.

Zelandeth
Platinum
Platinum

Postby Zelandeth » Wed May 03, 2017 2:06 pm

Yesterday I pulled a bunch of bits off the Riva.

(Alternator was already off having its brushes replaced, radiator and all the large bore coolant pipes were out to be cleaned up and for me to replace all the dodgy old hose clips that were leaking).

Removed...

Air cleaner, carb, a million vacuum hoses, inlet manifold, accelerator pedal & linkage (that was a pain in the tail to do without removing the clutch and brake lines). Also swapped out the timing chain cover and crankshaft pulley for Niva 1.7i monopoint items ready to accept the CPS.

So far getting the throttle pedal out has been the greatest source of cursing... Let's see if that remains the case!

Aaron
Bronze
Bronze

Postby Aaron » Tue May 09, 2017 6:57 pm

wrote a Lada for sale post, then couldn't bring my self to click 'submit'.
Aaron, Grantham <br>
Riva1600SLX (my dinged baby)
Citroen (surprisingly quite good) C3
Peugeot (it's only for towing the caravan) 406

hoverfrog
Pink furry dice

Postby hoverfrog » Tue May 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Aaron wrote:wrote a Lada for sale post, then couldn't bring my self to click 'submit'.

well done you!
After numerous, complicated problems with my 1700 (LPG/petrol) I bought a 1986 1600 'for parts'. Fixed it, it's my daily driver - and driving it reminds me why I love Nivas!

Zelandeth
Platinum
Platinum

Postby Zelandeth » Thu May 11, 2017 5:49 pm

Today I mostly...

Attempted the first start of the fuel injection converted Riva.

I'd done a static test of my horrific fuel supply lash up (I wanted to know it would work before spending hours routing pipework!) so I knew fuel wouldn't wind up spraying everywhere at least...beyond that anything could happen! I could have the ignition timing a million miles out, I could have a duff ECU, the list goes on.

What actually happened was it whooshed into life as a TBi equipped car missing it's air cleaner does, then settled down into a silky smooth idle. Of all the things I expected that was *not* one of them!

Still a tonne of work to do, but at least I've proven the concept is sound!

Youtube Video of the initial startup over here!.

hoverfrog
Pink furry dice

Postby hoverfrog » Thu May 11, 2017 6:25 pm

...forgot to turn the headlights off after driving back to work at lunchtime :(
'The girls' pushed the Niva in the pouring rain this evening, it started, I'm making cake for the 10 o'clock pause tomorrow :)

Return to “General Interest”