wow!!

New and used Ladas can be found here
GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:27 am

The Chevy Niva has used the drive train from the Classic Niva since it was created. Recently, the Chevy Niva engine has been transferred the other way and is available as an option.

panzerkiller
Standard
Standard

Post by panzerkiller » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:39 pm

GadgetBoy,

Does that mean you can still get a brand new Niva with the 'old' 1.7 lt FIAT 124 derived engine?

Would this pass current emissions tests?

Is it the single point injection model or the sequential injection model?
Jim
Previously owned 2 Nivas'. Now on my 4th Land Rover, 2nd Discovery.
Still hankering after another Niva.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:47 pm

You can get the original lump with the Bosch SFi Multipoint and you can get the GM Ecotec version.

James_niva
Bronze
Bronze

Post by James_niva » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:28 am

so, GM motor in niva... any ideas?

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:40 am

I wouldn't ...... it's a truly appalling engine.

crb247
Diamond
Diamond

Post by crb247 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Crank-bearings in the Ecotecs over here are made out of swiss butter... There a plenty of better more durable alternatives.
'96 Niva 1.7i Cossack - Daily Driver
'98 MPV 4X4
webby-http://sites.google.com/site/ladacanada/

James_niva
Bronze
Bronze

Post by James_niva » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:40 pm

was just thinking if the car comes with the option of both motors, maybe they use the same wiring loom? making an engine swap easyer? maybe sump etc is designed to have a diff directly under it..

seen a few newer niva turbo videos too.. motors cant be that bad surely?

Hoodoo
No rank

Post by Hoodoo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:46 pm

You could always investigate the possibility of using a Vauxhall RWD engine/box combination, together with a separate front diff support as used by the lads fitting diesels.
Matching wiring will be probably the biggest headache to get ECU, keys etc talking to each other.
Lot to be said for hanging on to the Lada engine, and looking for tuning gear in the East.
Regards,
Hoodoo
'03 Niva 1.7si
Buckley, North Wales.

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:21 pm

I second that. The original Lada engine is a peach.

Porta
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Porta » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:41 pm

wholeheartedly support the ...if it aint broken, dont fix...btu f you look on some forums with other russian gear, there are some links to strange developments...
GM dont exactly get on with fiat since their break up...but look who is tied with gaz..iveco..and look who is sharing expertise...and look who owns what, then look at at gm/renault tie up and some of the van engines are...iveco, and then look at what bits are fitted to what and what proposed....looks like you may get a fiat engine after all

heresy for soe...salvation for others!!! :wink:
vaz, niwa 17i hussar 1997
fiat, panda 4x4 climbing 2005
fiat, panda sisley 4x4, old!!!
iveco daily 4x4

James_niva
Bronze
Bronze

Post by James_niva » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:27 pm

yeh to be honest I too am a huge fan of the origional motor, after having 8 nivas, ive never actually managed to kill a motor, and i tend to have no mechanical sympathy when it comes to proving a point hahaha.

actually, once the crank pulley came off and i lost oil pressure hahah

A Lewis
Standard
Standard

Post by A Lewis » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:21 am

Interesting that Iveco has been mentioned.

I have heard, and I dont know how true this is, that Iveco are going to market the Spanish Santanna SP whatsit Landrover 110 clone in Britain

The idea is that Iveco want to undercut Landrover and supply a "budget 4x4" in the UK - and of course Iveco owns Santanna - so bobs your auntie.

Given the current financial climate a budget 4 x 4 should in theory go down well, seeing as 4x4s seem to be regaining post recession popularity when the public had a bit more dosh to spend on a motor.

Reading between the lines Iveco's ongoing expansion and the fact it has fingers in many pies I wouldn't be too suprised to see some badge engineered products from eastern europe and the continent hitting UK markets under the Iveco brand IF the Santanna takes off.

Could this also include badge engineered Ladas? A long shot but if Iveco were aware of potential interest in RHD Nivas then who knows?

I actually believe there could be a market for RHD Nivas, but as ever you need to make the public aware that RHD NIvas are available to gather enough interest - which is a chicken and egg scenario, but with Iveco involved with Lada do we atlast have a european big hitter which has an important market in the UK, who might, subject to a bit of communication be willing to back a RHD Niva?

500 units orders to make a RHD model would afterall be pretty small fry to a conglomerate like IVECO.

Perhaps Im talking out my hat! I dunno!!! lol.

Porta
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Porta » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:35 pm

yep iveco owns santana and renamed it iveco massif....but at gm has a big share of autovaz, and fiat and gm had the big handbags at dawn, then the engine may be wishful thinking of the all lada owners :?

that iveco engine is truly awesome :twisted: and makes the landy jobs and sprinters a bit 'has been' :lol:

its whether vaz and gaz can collaborate...certainly may see further iveco influence in my other toy...a gaz66...and hopefully in lada, but dont want to die holding my breath
http://www.gaz66.co.uk/
vaz, niwa 17i hussar 1997
fiat, panda 4x4 climbing 2005
fiat, panda sisley 4x4, old!!!
iveco daily 4x4

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:09 pm

GM no longer has any financial interest in AutoVaz.

A Lewis
Standard
Standard

Post by A Lewis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm just thinking that with the dealer network Iveco has, coupled with the parts bin from various production lines at it's disposal, to market and uprate existing Nivas would be quite simple !