1988 F plate Riva L (1.2) on the Bay

New and used Ladas can be found here
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

1988 F plate Riva L (1.2) on the Bay

Post by Zelandeth » Sun May 27, 2007 9:26 pm

Despite a rather silly description and a bit of dodgy paintwork, doesn't look like the worst of cars in the photos. Might be of interest to somebody here.

eBay Link

Being in London and a 1200 take it off my list, but hopefully someone can save it from falling into the hands of someone just wanting a £50 car to run into the ground.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Lada & Korean Parts
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Lada & Korean Parts » Mon May 28, 2007 10:33 pm

excuse my ignorance over here,but whats the difference with your plates...???
often hear of a car that has f/p/j etc.etc. plates

just courious
thanks

andy
PARTS SUPPLIED FOR:
Lada,Ssangyong,Daewoo,Hyundai,Kia,Festiva Rocsta

www.ladaparts.com or andrew@ladaparts.com

GadgetBoy

Post by GadgetBoy » Mon May 28, 2007 10:39 pm

Up to about 2000 registration plates had a letter on them. A 123 ABC, for example, where the single letter designated the year of registration.

A 'P' reg is a '96 or '97 I believe. The letter changed on August 1st.

I'm not totally sure coz I'm from Northern Ireland and we have different plates.

Lada & Korean Parts
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Lada & Korean Parts » Mon May 28, 2007 11:02 pm

thanks gadget

that answers that one for me

andy
PARTS SUPPLIED FOR:
Lada,Ssangyong,Daewoo,Hyundai,Kia,Festiva Rocsta

www.ladaparts.com or andrew@ladaparts.com

flaminlada
Bronze
Bronze

Post by flaminlada » Tue May 29, 2007 8:04 pm

Pandamonium, paint flames down the other side and voila you have a totally original wedding car! :D Bet it costs more to rent a wedding car than buying that car!

Regards

Clare

flaminlada
Bronze
Bronze

Post by flaminlada » Tue May 29, 2007 8:45 pm

My first Lada was the same as this one but beige (yuk!) It was on a E plate, so this one could be a late '88 F.

Regards

Clare

junkman
Bronze
Bronze

I now own this car

Post by junkman » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:20 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I just wanted to let you all know that I bought this car.
The owners are much less silly than the ad, in fact they are really nice people. The car was bought by them off a driveway as a practical joke they played on their friends who ultimately rejected the car, so this is why it landed on ebay.
I have the car now since early June, gave it a complete service and the car hasn't missed a beat since. It is used daily. It is in fact running exceptionally good.
Unfortunately, there is more corrosion to the body as the pictures suggest, so I doubt the car will pass another MOT. This is particularily sad since quite a few new parts have been installed for its last MOT. There are new tyres, new calipers and discs up front, and new drums/shoes.
The way things look, the car will be used by me until the MOT runs out in November and then banger raced. This is unless you folks out there know someone who is willing to do a bit of welding for reasonable money.

I would appreciate any hints and tips, and, who knows, this Lada might be saved after all. I actually quite like the car and would love to keep it, but bodywork at regular prices in relation to prices for good Ladas just doesn't justify to keep it going.

nitro_warrior
Gold
Gold

Post by nitro_warrior » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:50 pm

Welcome along Junkman. You're in the right place for advice on your Lada.

Why not buy yourself a Mig welder, teach yourself to weld, and patch up the rot yourself? It's great skill to have and you have the ideal machine to practice on.
2 x Fiat Panda 4x4 999cc
VW Type 3 Fast back
Chrysler Voyager

Edinburgh

junkman
Bronze
Bronze

Post by junkman » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:04 pm

nitro_warrior wrote:Welcome along Junkman. You're in the right place for advice on your Lada.

Why not buy yourself a Mig welder, teach yourself to weld, and patch up the rot yourself? It's great skill to have and you have the ideal machine to practice on.

Erm, because a mig welder costs more than a good Lada?

No seriously, I tried it before and frankly, I prefer someone do it that knows his/her stuff.
I love the smell of fresh barn finds in the morning...

alisdair
Bronze
Bronze

Post by alisdair » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:08 pm

what welding need doing to it do you think?

junkman
Bronze
Bronze

Post by junkman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:48 pm

alisdair wrote:what welding need doing to it do you think?
1. The floor in the drivers footwell. The outrigger has been replaced before, the entire area is a mess though. The floor came up when I jacked up the car. I did bend it back down.
2. Rear passenger side quarter panel where it meets the spare wheel well.
3. Rear passenger side wheelarch towards the front. There is a hole about six inches long from an untreated shunt.
4. Rear drivers side quarter panel about four inches behind the rear wheelarch

Apart from these, the car appears to be quite solid. It has typical front wing rust, but not bad enough to fail an MOT.

Since the car also has countless dents in all panels, a complete restoration would be too ambitious considering the value of decent examples, but it is technically so good that I would love to get it through the MOT once again and use it as a workhorse/parts shunter.

I am on the lookout for a decent saloon, but all that pops up in good shape are estates.

alisdair
Bronze
Bronze

Post by alisdair » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:49 pm

dents in every panel? rust? sounds like my kinda car :lol:

maybe if you end up buying the estate you'd be interested in selling to me rather than banger boys? :shock: :D

junkman
Bronze
Bronze

Post by junkman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:56 pm

alisdair wrote:dents in every panel? rust? sounds like my kinda car :lol:

maybe if you end up buying the estate you'd be interested in selling to me rather than banger boys? :shock: :D
You serious? Let's talk about it should I win the estate.

alisdair
Bronze
Bronze

Post by alisdair » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:59 pm

junkman wrote:
alisdair wrote:dents in every panel? rust? sounds like my kinda car :lol:

You serious? Let's talk about it should I win the estate.

yea im serious ive been after one and i havent seen much since that estate on ebay, but if you get it then id definitely be insterested in your current one :D

junkman
Bronze
Bronze

Post by junkman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:45 pm

alisdair wrote:yea im serious ive been after one and i havent seen much since that estate on ebay, but if you get it then id definitely be insterested in your current one :D
I suggest you to have a look at my car. Whereabouts are you located?