New buyers beware

New and used Ladas can be found here
Tom.
Site Owner

New buyers beware

Post by Tom. » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:14 pm

This starting off as a reply to Neil Chowney in another topic, where he said "Mmmmmm.... crispy!"
Not to reflect from that eBay listing I decided to do this as a separate kind of warning to any potential buyers.

The crispy ones usually have an honest description in the sale details so you know what you're getting yourself into, never buy a crispy one for restoration unless you have deep pockets or a masters diploma in panel beating and spraying. Regardless of what any seller says, check the car thoroughly before purchase especially any RHD specific parts with the steering box being at the top of that list, check for play, knocking sounds, casing damage, oil leaks, even signs of newly disturbed or missing bolts, all should ring alarm bells unless you have a spare RHD box to begin with.
A car that was sold recently on eBay that looked a show stopper with a high asking price turned out to be a resprayed car with very badly repaired panels together with a steering box so dangerous the car shouldn't of been tested (New MOT). The new owner of the car has decided to redo all the bodge work correctly at much expense. New RHD steering have been supplied together with many other parts, work on the car is now in progress.
97 Niva 1.7i
2107 Riva Sport
2104 Estate 1500

Neil Chowney
Administrator

Re: New buyers beware

Post by Neil Chowney » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:08 am

Wise words there Tom.

The issue with all the cars, as Tom rightly points out, is getting some RHD specific parts. So if the owner can't get them they may have reverted to bodgery to get the car off their hands.

Always worth checking with Tom first if you think the car needs bits to get it up to a decent standard.

... and when I say 'crispy' to an advert, its just a comment of the obvious state of some of the panels in the photo..... :-)
Neil Chowney
Land Rover Discovery Sport (just sold the Freelander)
Cube Agree HTC Di2

Tom.
Site Owner

Post by Tom. » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:56 pm

Neil Chowney wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:08 am

... and when I say 'crispy' to an advert, its just a comment of the obvious state of some of the panels in the photo..... :-)
We all knew that. :)
97 Niva 1.7i
2107 Riva Sport
2104 Estate 1500

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:13 am

Mind me asking which one this was mainly referring to? Sure I remember not that long ago seeing an ad for a car which looked superficially very shiny but where several things just felt "off" about it and set alarm bells ringing. Of course I can't for the life of me remember where or what it was. Probably a Niva though...and I seem to recall the front panel to wing joint looking wrong was the first detail I noticed.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.