Riva Estate Wanted...FOUND!

New and used Ladas can be found here
Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Riva Estate Wanted...FOUND!

Post by Zelandeth » Wed May 11, 2016 11:00 pm

Okay...so today I had the sad news that my father after many years of poor and failing health has passed away. Cue a hell of a lot of work on my part in closing things off for him. To be honest, given his plummeting quality of life in recent months I think this has been a kindness.

He will however be leaving a little money to me (provided the bank plays ball). I have been promising myself a Riva Estate literally since I was six years old...and it's the one Lada that has always eluded me. Had a Samara, Niva and Riva saloon...but never found an Estate.

He would want me to do something with the money, so first feelers going out to see if anyone has one they are thinking of selling...other vehicles in the running are Rover P6 (V8) or Suzuki Cappuccino.

...we really would benefit from an estate though as we have a big dog, so Lada has priority one if things work out!
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

Tom.
Site Owner

Re: Riva Estate Wanted...

Post by Tom. » Thu May 12, 2016 7:21 am

Sorry for your loss.
97 Niva 1.7i
2107 Riva Sport
2104 Estate 1500

david_rachel
Bronze
Bronze

Post by david_rachel » Thu May 12, 2016 7:33 am

I wish you and your family a long life.

The Lada Riva Estate is a great car, the 2104 has many appealing design features and when you really look at it, AvtoVAZ actually went a considerable way with its styling - full of character too and as Katya is finding with everyday use, it attracts a considerable amount of attention now in the UK - it's certainly a car that would be a fitting tribute to your father as he'd be satisfying your boyhood dream.

If I was buying again, I would seriously look at importing one of many restored cars available in Russia
Lada front os quarter.jpg
Lada front os quarter.jpg (764.75 KiB) Viewed 18928 times
David Rachel
1995 Lada Riva 1.5E Est Cherry
1972 Triumph 2.5PI Est Royal Blue
1968 MG 1300 Sal Connaught Green
1978 Carlight Casetta
http://carlightrestoration.blogspot.co.uk

Tom.
Site Owner

Post by Tom. » Thu May 12, 2016 10:22 am

97 Niva 1.7i
2107 Riva Sport
2104 Estate 1500

Tom.
Site Owner

Post by Tom. » Thu May 12, 2016 11:21 am

If your not in the market for a restoration vehicle and were to consider a 2105 model that's a turn key and go with 12 months MOT then I know of two for sale that are not offered anywhere else at the moment. One is a 1500 model in excellent condition. The other is a 1300 L model 1991 on a G plate one owner from new with all previous MOT'S together with receipts and always garaged. All service parts bought from Alan , Neil and myself. Its only for sale because their age now makes it more of a chore to drive than a pleasure. I'm waiting for some pics to be sent to confirm the owners description of it being in really good condition.
97 Niva 1.7i
2107 Riva Sport
2104 Estate 1500

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu May 12, 2016 10:22 pm

Not really after a restoration project to be honest. I don't mind a bit of cosmetic work and general servicing, but I really don't want to get the welder out. Age I'm not fussed about really, but would prefer a 1500 really as it is likely to see work with four of us on board plus the dog, so the more grunt the better!

In the ideal world, white, red or blue...but I'm not too fussed...Riva is one of the rare cars that can pull off beige.

Very first thing that will happen to it in my ownership is that it will be taken to a professional in the field and have the works done in terms of rust proofing, no expense spared on that front. Car will stay completely stock save for common sense stuff like a modern (probably concealed) stereo, electronic ignition if old enough to lack that, probably a stainless (to original spec near as) exhaust etc. This will *not* turn into a drift machine or anything - any mods will be purely things to make the car a pleasant everyday companion and would all be fully reversible. This isn't going to get hacked about.

She won't do massive miles (I don't commute) but will be regularly used. Taking the place most likely of the Estelle which I will hate to see go, but needs must - and while fun it doesn't actually tick any practical boxes at the moment (oh if only I had more space!...sure we all say that!).

May be a week or two until I know for certain that the cash will be heading my way, but fingers crossed! Know they don't appear that often hence I wanted to start putting feelers out.

Quite willing to travel for the right car too if needed.
LOZ: Oddball cars, lighting information, and anything else I remember to upload!
Current fleet: 02 VW Caddy 1.9SDI, 90 Mercedes 208D Autotrail Navajo, 85 Sinclair C5, 78 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6GL, 73 AC Model-70.

david_rachel
Bronze
Bronze

Post by david_rachel » Fri May 13, 2016 7:48 am

I'm happy for people to shout me down here BUT in my limited experience the greatest cause of rust on a Lada is the lack of paint. All cars, the Lada included will rust if dirt traps and drain holes aren't kept clean whilst wax oil only really helps to prevent moisture entering unprotected seams.

If you want a Lada to remain in great long term condition you can't escape the fact that in many key areas it needs to be re-painted.
David Rachel
1978 Carlight Casetta

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Fri May 13, 2016 11:17 pm

Definitely hear you on that, and certainly isn't something I will discount. Getting the underside and cavities neutralised and sealed in conjunction with keeping the paint topside clean and waxed to within an inch of its life should go a long way to helping though.

That's pretty much going to happen to any car I get, Lada or otherwise.

Have fleshed the possible shopping list out a bit though...welcome to my "eclectic" taste in cars.

These are in the running. Any non-estate options would probably see me re-homing my current Xantia hatchback and picking up an estate version - they are right at the bottom of the depreciation curve right now so you can get a real bargain...

Lada Riva 1500 Estate.

Rover P6 3500.

Suzuki Cappuccino - even know where my (now restored) old one lives, so may knock on the door...

Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit - ideally a late S1 car (ABS and injection but before they screwed up the dashboard), should be able to pick up a decent one privately within budget if I shop around - though I'd probably need to find a few grand to go to the likes of Southam's - though the peace of mind buying from there on a car with such astronomical parts prices may be worth it...been after once since I first drove one in 2004. Thanks Craig...your fault! I have worked on one, so know what I'm letting myself in for. Won't be even considering one that hasn't had the big jobs done, like the five grand hydraulic overhaul!

Fiat Panda 1000 Fire. Proper Panda not the modern one. Ideally with the Rolls because having those parked next to each other would *really* mess with our neighbours heads...

MGB Convertible. Probably an SII car with the rubber bumpers as I don't reckon the chrome is worth the extra dosh. Miss the wind in the hair fun on the Cappo, but nothing comes close to an MGB for spares availability, and they are fun to drive. Brittish Racing Green or Snapdragon Yellow please.

Renault 25 Monaco. ...good luck finding one.

Early 90s Jeep Cherokee 4.0. The one before they rounded the corners off and made it all European friendly. I just love the American-ness of them, they're comfy, make a nice noise and are actually pretty cheap.

1998 or earlier Chevrolet Astro - if I can find one of the basic versions...the only ones I could find last I looked were the swanky "day van" version - I'd far rather have the basic one which is vastly more flexible. Had one as our main transport last time we were in the US. Loved it. Fantastically comfortable, astonishingly quick when you asked it to be - and not surprisingly when you discover that it's propelled by a 4.3 litre V6 which usually burbles along in such a way as to turn a petrolhead's head from a hundred yards away. I *seriously* looked at options to import that van when we got back as its lazy effortless torque and "let's make life comfy" approach to driving match my preferences very well. It's either that approach or the Lada's "let's actually drive" that I like...anything in the middle is just boring!

Rover SD1 V8. Yes...bad idea, I know...

Sure I'll think of more, but it's fun to shop around.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:30 pm

Still digging around looking for one. Just a shame that most that most of them which have turned up lately have all been saloons.

Have come across one so far, but at seven grand is ...well...a bit steep and I reckon they're dreaming at the price, despite looking like the day it left the factory from the photos and having only 5K on the clock. Lovely colour too. No information on the ad though as to whether the car is actually currently roadworthy...Don't think I'll be paying top money for a car on which I'm probably going to have to go and replace half the rubber components on before I dare drive it no matter how clean it is.

Advert over here

At the very least I'd expect tyres, timing belt, fuel lines and fanbelt. Brake lines I'd just check as I have come across those at this age which are perfectly fine.

Do wonder what that's really worth to be honest...Gut feeling is probably £3-4K with a year's test...

david_rachel
Bronze
Bronze

Post by david_rachel » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:03 am

Have you spoken with Tom about that car? - I have a feeling he might be able to give you some insight to its real condition as he may have supplied parts.
David Rachel
1978 Carlight Casetta

Tom.
Site Owner

Post by Tom. » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:53 am

Zel that 2104 estate @ £7000 is not for sale. That's an old advert which reappeared for some reason or another. The current owner who purchased it has just confirmed to me that he has asked in the past for that advert to be removed.
97 Niva 1.7i
2107 Riva Sport
2104 Estate 1500

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:51 pm

That would explain why they've not responded to the queries I sent then!

Al Bik
Standard
Standard

Post by Al Bik » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:28 pm

Zelandeth wrote:That would explain why they've not responded to the queries I sent then!
Hi.
I sent you a private message, not sure if you got it, as it is still sitting in the Outbox. Let me know, as I may have what you are looking for.
Cheers.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:25 pm

Responded.

I think from memory that messages remain in your outbox until they're opened by the recipient.

Zelandeth
Diamond
Diamond

Post by Zelandeth » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:18 pm

Mods, this thread can be closed off - have just taken ownership of a lovely L plate 1.5E Estate.

Further details will of course follow in the Member's Cars section when I get home.