Project K

New and used Ladas can be found here
twodogsfunningagain
Standard
Standard

Project K

Post by twodogsfunningagain » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:58 pm

Hello all.
Bit new to actually working on cars but definitely need some assistance.

Project K is Lada Niva 1.7i 1997

Dry stored for a few years and only got to it's resting place with a start stop journey of overheating.

Known faults are 1: water pump wobbles and spits out water (currently taken off and ordering new one).
2: dead battery (ordering new one)
3: last driven around with only 2nd, 4th 5th and reverse gear working, gears engage but slip out making cranking noise (drivable but need remedy, actually passed it last mot like this as I remember). Unwise to possible fault.
4: general bodywork pretty good but need advise on where to look for write off problems.
5: exhaust main silencer fitted with baked bean can remedy for rust hole (ordering new one).
6: corrugated hose from exhaust manifold to temperature regulator damaged. Any advice on where to order replacement.

Don't want this baby to die so spending a bit of time and cash on trying to get her going again whilst learning a bit about her.
Not over knowledgable on cars so it's a slow process. Hopefully by Christmas!

Any help would be wonderful.

Neil Chowney
Administrator

Re: Project K

Post by Neil Chowney » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Greetings twodogs,

1: water pump wobbles and spits out water (currently taken off and ordering new one).
Sorted
2: dead battery (ordering new one)
Sorted
3: last driven around with only 2nd, 4th 5th and reverse gear working, gears engage but slip out making cranking noise (drivable but need remedy, actually passed it last mot like this as I remember). Unwise to possible fault.
Remove gearbox and strip but one check before you do, drain gearbox oil, CAREFULLY remove rear rubber blanking plate at back of gearbox behind cross member and check that the bolt is not sheared off or loose. If its snapped they can usually be teased out with a pointy thing. and then replaced with a new bolt.
4: general bodywork pretty good but need advise on where to look for write off problems.
Sills, front wings, boot floor, scuttle around windscreen, rear tailgate, floor pan. All panels are available. phone Tom, number at top of page.
5: exhaust main silencer fitted with baked bean can remedy for rust hole (ordering new one).
Sorted.
6: corrugated hose from exhaust manifold to temperature regulator damaged. Any advice on where to order replacement.
phone Tom, number at top of page.
Neil Chowney
Land Rover Discovery Sport (just sold the Freelander)
Cube Agree HTC Di2

twodogsfunningagain
Standard
Standard

Re: Project K

Post by twodogsfunningagain » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:36 pm

Hell that was fast.
Owe you a drink.
Gear box will have to wait till other bits are sorted.
As she's been sitting idol for a while I assume petrol needs replacing, oil change etc.

I need a muppet list of what to do in which order if possible.

Toms looking good for an inheritance of my hard earned dosh but just trying to get a full parts list to order first.

Cheers